AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim7139

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Classic ST Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi w/8 speed 3.92 gears
Do you still need door modules with a mirror swap or are their alfa settings to modify the programming of the existing ones?

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
Thank you everyone on this forum. Enabled DRL, Global Down, Disabled fog drop out with alfaobd.

Question:
Front camera options. Right now I run a camera with a 3.5" lcd by my ignition. I want to get this onscreen. I enabled the cargo cam option and was going to tap into that radio harness to add the RCA connector.

From what I am reading though, is that prior to MY16 we shouldn't have this option and its a bug in the radio on 17.11.XX. I was thinking of just doing it anyways and trying to make sure it doesn't get upgraded. Sadly, long term with OTA updates possible and needing to bring it into the dealership (lifetime warranty), I doubt this will be possible long term.

Thoughts/options?

Do I need to move to a hardware option? PAC, NAVTV, CRUX, etc.
I would also like to enable input in motion (passenger can input address, etc.), but this is secondary and could live without.
To add front camera (don't care if it auto turns on at speed) and input in motion, what is the best hardware option?
Get the PAC radio adapter. There is nothing better out there IMO..however many cameras you like on whenever you like..and remote triggers to add lighting with cameras etc..I know some of this can be done with the alpha, (I have one and MX+) but you can't do anything past what was available as a factory option if you will..the PAC adapter displays and programs through evic...tremendous piece of tech for those who want extra cameras or non standard cams..

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
Have asked this before but never got an answer and have emailed the alpha OBD creator with no response..and it's not a huge issue just would like to know...
Is there any way when you do a Google drive dump of settings, logs etc to get it to print line by line instead of paragraph format?? It is very hard to find a specific setting in 12 pages of run on sentences..some one has to know how to adjust this...and I have tried the period and comma separating setting in alpha and still get same report generated...
Current version of Alpha with MX+ module on Android platform

Thank you!

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Have asked this before but never got an answer and have emailed the alpha OBD creator with no response..and it's not a huge issue just would like to know...
Is there any way when you do a Google drive dump of settings, logs etc to get it to print line by line instead of paragraph format?? It is very hard to find a specific setting in 12 pages of run on sentences..some one has to know how to adjust this...and I have tried the period and comma separating setting in alpha and still get same report generated...

Thank you!

There apparently a simple way of doing it but I couldn't figure it out but what I do is use anyfile notepad (Google drive extension) then copy and paste into Word. This way I can create a side by side document of my previous log and current log to compare changes. Then just highlight changes for easy viewing

Left previous Right current

92b5bb68cf026444089ad0cd53aa0faf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Charles Saucier

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Got my bed light kit in for my 2018 Express and looked under truck for connections that I thought were right there. All I see is a larger empty socket behind the license plate. Am I missing some thing or do I have to run a cable all the way back to the under dash connection.

clifford15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
CTD

Thank you!

Hi, while this has been answered it would be difficult to find in this huge thread.
All you need to do is save the Drive doc html file and rename it to .txt. I use a PC for this and to save the files. Also notepad++ allows an easy way to compare files.

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
There apparently a simple way of doing it but I couldn't figure it out but what I do is use anyfile notepad (Google drive extension) then copy and paste into Word. This way I can create a side by side document of my previous log and current log to compare changes. Then just highlight changes for easy viewing

Left previous Right current

92b5bb68cf026444089ad0cd53aa0faf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's a whole lot better than what I get!
e7b93a8b389d1c95afc75c583889270a.jpg

kad

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Do you still need door modules with a mirror swap or are their alfa settings to modify the programming of the existing ones?

It depends on what mirrors you have and what you are swapping to. There are only two module types, one supports power fold, the other does not.

-K

WTM75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
Got my bed light kit in for my 2018 Express and looked under truck for connections that I thought were right there. All I see is a larger empty socket behind the license plate. Am I missing some thing or do I have to run a cable all the way back to the under dash connection.

I believe 2500 & 3500 are pre-wired for bed lights. The 1500 are hit or miss weather the wires are there. Unfortunately, my ‘17 Express is not pre-wired and after doing the remote start, I don’t want to mess around with that BCM under the dash again. Lol

likes2build

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Express RCSB
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I believe 2500 & 3500 are pre-wired for bed lights. The 1500 are hit or miss weather the wires are there. Unfortunately, my ‘17 Express is not pre-wired and after doing the remote start, I don’t want to mess around with that BCM under the dash again. Lol

My '18 Express isn't wired for them either and YES that #11 pin is nasty, lol.

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Has anyone seen a way to change the default volume for bluetooth / ringing? Mine default to 15 and it's way too loud. I can turn them down but as soon as I hang up and another person calls... it's back up to 15. I'm going to go deaf over this

mdtz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I made progress on video options with alfaobd. I enabled VES2 (Vehicle Entertainment System) and I now have AV and HDMI input options in media section.

The pinout detail I found on dodge durango forum with VES detail. Not sure if I can link as I know some forums block that but google "Installing AppleTV on uConnect 8.4an". Note the HDMI input looks like its HDMI quality for rear video (e.g. 1080p) but when it gets connected to uconnect, its just RCA A/V input.

Not sure my path yet because it doesn't give me quick access to the front camera and no video in motion, but I hope it opens some options for others for video input in general. Would love if someone made a harness to add the pin out the right connections.

AVa.jpg

HDMI.jpg

pins.jpg

VES2.jpg

Activate

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 and 1998
Engine
360 and 410 with SC
Hello is there a way that when the High beams are working the low beams also stay on?
Would also be nice that when the fob is used to lock the car the sunroof is clossing..forget already some times...and then it starts raining....gggrrhh

Thanks and greetings,

Erik.

Last edited:

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
I made progress on video options with alfaobd. I enabled VES2 (Vehicle Entertainment System) and I now have AV and HDMI input options in media section.

The pinout detail I found on dodge durango forum with VES detail. Not sure if I can link as I know some forums block that but google "Installing AppleTV on uConnect 8.4an". Note the HDMI input looks like its HDMI quality for rear video (e.g. 1080p) but when it gets connected to uconnect, its just RCA A/V input.

Not sure my path yet because it doesn't give me quick access to the front camera and no video in motion, but I hope it opens some options for others for video input in general. Would love if someone made a harness to add the pin out the right connections.

View attachment 163178

View attachment 163179

View attachment 163180

View attachment 163181
Have you seen my replies and posts on the PAC adapter? It sounds like it would solve most your wants..it's a full factory compatible plug and play video solution...let me know if you want more info...

Bill

Ramsportrocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
well I finally ordered my OBDlink MX.. still haven't decided if I want the android or windows version of alfaobd..

I have a question though, I know you should backup your config before making changes what I want to know is
I have a flashpaq 5 ready to install once I decide on what exhaust setup to go with.. should I do the alfa changes first THEN add the flashpaq or vice versa or doesn't it matter...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ghost_RAM

Ghost_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

The option was there but wasn't working in previous versions when I tried for @Mpgrimm2. Maybe this is something they can add to the extensive list of harnesses they currently have in their lineup?

mdtz86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Have you seen my replies and posts on the PAC adapter? It sounds like it would solve most your wants..it's a full factory compatible plug and play video solution...let me know if you want more info...

Thanks I did. I actually have a spreadsheet comparing each. With that said, what model do you have? Is it the BCI-CH41? Are you doing a front camera? Did you end up needing the VS41 too? What do you like/dislike about it? The BCI-CH41 looks like it enables the VES to get at least some of its function.

Eng50

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.6l
I have both connected, my application I needed a non factory rear camera that's wireless that I put on my salt spreader in winter and I need to be able to leave the video feed on whenever I want plus back up etc..
That being said I bought two mirror cams and haven't installed them yet so technically the VS41 isn't doing anything yet ..
I really like the plug and play with full evic integration, it just works, set it and forget it (literally I have to get directions out at change of season to change my settings because I forget!). It gives three trigger wires for whatever you want, I have additional lights in bumper and they can be on, off, reverse trigger, camera trigger etc!
All without taping any other sources..they really put some effort into the design..also so far its the only solution that allows on demand video while driving...
My only complaint and it's minor is I don't have steering wheel controls for radio, so they have a work around using two other buttons to program and they are not intuitive...that's my only complaint...

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Well so much for being easy...I’m looking through post 1 to see if I missed something.

I’m a computer dork and can’t get alfaobd to work.

On a PC tablet. OBDLinkMX via Bluetooth is added and showing under my devices.

Problem is I don’t see how to tell alfaOBD to use a Bluetooth device. I thought it wasn’t there before as I didn’t have it connected...as I studied what I wanted to do (DRLs and fogs stay on with high beams)....had I known just connecting was going to be an issue I would have asked and figured out before sitting in the truck lol

I wonder if I didn’t hook up bypass module correctly and this is why it’s not connecting.....

I try COM 3 and 4 and same thing.

9ca2e704e50f848c0143638e452b8fe9.jpg

1fc1886092a53f2269ce533f722f8db5.jpg

Disregard. Got it to connect! Didn’t realize I had to select the MY...duh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tankerpilot01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Assume it shouldn’t say failed....

902b737905c9f0a63aa54acf4acb7a39.jpg

So if you don’t do it under the active diagnostic tab...where do you?

Edit: tried again and worked. Turned off ignition and waited a few min. Confirmed fogs now stay on with brights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: