AlphaRex LED Upgrade in a '22 BigHorn - Advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Deanwam8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorq
Hello All,

I just bought a 2022 Ram 1500 eTorq with 6500 miles...Rocky Ridge trim. Love the truck (got it for a good price)...however it has stock Halogens. It's the one thing on this otherwise awesome looking truck that looks REALLY out of place (to me). I have checked with multiple Ram dealerships and they all say that there is no "plug and play" way to upgrade the halogens to OEM Mopar LEDs. They apparently have "different wiring" etc. I cannot believe Dodge would make it impossible for a consumer to pay good money and upgrade to OEM LEDs.

I then start looking into Aftermarket solutions. My RAM dealerships looked like they wanted to throw something at me when I asked if they would install aftermarket headlamps (not just bulbs...full assemblies). I was looking at Morimoto options but settled on the brand new AlphaRex MKII 2500-style Nova series. These are truly plug and play and don't even need a converted if coming from stock halogens. Sounds easy right? WRONG. After tons of digging and searching on multiple forums, I find that it is damn near impossible to find someone who has installed these or any other aftermarket assembly for that matter..and not had error messages and codes (most notably parking light bulb out messages or turn signal issues). I called AlphaRex and the service manager said that the vast majority of those problems are with classic Rams or Rams 2018 and below. He said 2019+ have much much lower rates of codes and error messages and simply turning off DRLs in Uconnect 5 will solve any other issues he has seen. I still didn't want to take the chance because I dont have the time to mess with AlphaOBD or resistors (both of which only sometime work), so I cancelled my order and they were nice enough to call it back and not charge me return shipping.

My question is .... is there anyone out there who has used AlphaRex LEDs coming from stock halogens..in a 2022 Ram...and if so, did you still get codes or error messages? To be fair, I do believe almost every single complaint I found online was indeed for 2018 or below...but would love to hear if these headlamps behave better in the newer (2022+) Rams. Thanks so much.

Darylrsv4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know this thread is over a month old and surprised that no one else is trying to replace their halogens. Unless there is another thread for this same topic and I missed it?

I too have a 22' 1500 Rocky Ridge and crazy that a truck that cost nearly $90k new has halogens.

Anyone else replace their oem halogens with Alpharex, Spyder, etc that was truly plug n play and not have issues? Thanks.

OP
OP
D

Deanwam8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi eTorq
I know this thread is over a month old and surprised that no one else is trying to replace their halogens. Unless there is another thread for this same topic and I missed it?

I too have a 22' 1500 Rocky Ridge and crazy that a truck that cost nearly $90k new has halogens.

Anyone else replace their oem halogens with Alpharex, Spyder, etc that was truly plug n play and not have issues?

Hey Daryl..I ended up going with Stock OEM Mopar LEDs (Laramie Trim) from RetroShopLLC. Jeremy also sells the wiring harness with the resistor modules necessary. I did extensive research and just could not find confirmation that the after market options (AlphaRex, Morimoto) would not have bulb out warnings. Adding resistors sometimes fixed the issues, sometimes not. I LOVED the look of the new AlphaRex Novas but not at the expense of having messages of any kind. There's a TON of online feedback saying this is pretty much unavoidable so I decided to go stock. I have had everything installed for about 4 weeks now and have had no issues, no warnings and no bulb out messages as of yet. The DRLs are not as bright as I would have hoped but I think that's prb just stock MOPAR Ram lights vs other makes (GMC and Ford etc). I see stock RAM Leds (Laramie or Sport) on the road and the DRLs are nowhere near as bright as other makes. Mine look identical so I think they are as they should be. I also wish there was a way to change stock DRLs from white to Amber. Otherwise in my opinion, LEDs just look way better than the stock halogens and I'm happy with them so far. Big thumbs up to Jeremy and Retroshop. Feel free to message me with any further questions.

mpicc84

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
How is the light output on the OEM LED Reflector?
The concept of a LED Reflector is wild to me, as I remember LED/HID's in reflector housings used to be a big no-no in the past, as they just cannot control a beam like that. I'd really prefer projectors as my last few vehicles had, but I'd settle if the light output and cutoff is decent. For almost 1800$ it has to be an improvement.