Alternator Shorted to Ground

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Larry767

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 Laramie. Recently the alternator decided to short out and cause my battery to quickly drain. I caught this in time to save the battery I think but I had to remove the positive cable from the alternator in order to charge the battery and get it started again. I just got finished installing a new alternator and it does not seem to be charging. I suppose it's possible I didn't get the connector snapped all the way on (I'll check that tomorrow) but I'm wondering if the shorted alternator could have blown a fuse somewhere or possibly damaged the PCM? Any tips on what to check next?

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Same truck and same problem.

Hi Brian,
There should be a 250 Amp inline fuse on the battery lead feeding the alternator.

You should be able to follow the large wire to the alternator and measure 12 VDC. If no 12 volts, follow the wire back towards the battery and you will find an inline fuse.

I'll find more info tomorrow when I get back to my PC, if someone else doesn't report sooner.

I'm using my phone now. :cool:

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
I don't have wiring diagram for your year/make/model, but some others I've owned had inline fuses that I checked when encountering alternator/charging issues on some cabling in area of alternator/battery. Might want to get the wiring diagram for yours and see if that. Then check all related wiring for ground/short issues.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Hopefully you didnt fry the new Alternator. Ground issues will fry new stuff just as quick as old stuff, I speak from painful experience. Make sure you fix the issue before hanging another alt if needed.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I don't think you can have a so called short on the alt itself, but somewhere along the charging circuit. Maybe fuse or even battery ground, something like that. Damaged wire somewhere as well, that was my issue I kept frying transfer case motor because the wire to was broken. Test the alternator. After we figured out we fried both the old and new transfer case, we just rewired it, and solved the issue.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I don't think you can have a so called short on the alt itself
You can have the rectification circuit goto or leak to ground inside the alternator and can cause the battery to discharge or explode. That's why there is fuses inline to hopefully protect things from going bang or a thermal runaway.

Brian Kormos

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 1500 Laramie 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry. Have not replace the alternator yet. She must be shorted same as OP. My batt is dead I put a charger on it and my alternator starts buzzing and getting warm. My battery light has been coming on for the last week. Replacement alternator will be in on Monday and I can get this thing running.