Weird Accidental Battery Jump

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyChaser89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So, my alternator died the other day during the middle of running around town. I was at a gas station and asked someone if they could help me with a jump. Someone helps me out and we get the jumper cables placed on each battery. I waited a few minutes before trying to start and it almost cranked up but not enough charge. I wait again, walking around checking the terminals and i realize that i have the jumper cables crossed on my side. I kind of freaked and acted without thinking and removed the leads and swapped them quickly. This actually caused the cables to start smoking and i removed them immidiately. Iit was getting dark but im almost certain i had them backwards the first time. I get a ride to buy a new battery and a new alternator. installed both but the new alternator is not charging the new battery. I have checked all fuses in the engine compartment and they seem ok. so after researching ive learned it could possibly be a bad PCM due to the backwards jumper cables. Im also seeing i might have damaged the TIPM completely. I was Just seeing if anyone could share some knowledge about this weird situation ive put myself in. Anything else i should look for? Thanks!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
If they started smoking you crossed them the second time. They were right the first time or you would have melted them and potentially blown a battery after running for 4 or 5 minutes.

Can't see your avatar on the phone so don't know year and model. It may be that you burnt the fuseable link. Does the pickup start and run. If so it isn't the link. Next step would be to check the alternator output, would not be the first time a new alternator is defective.

You can do a lot of damage to a vehicle hooking them up wrong but you might as well start with the easiest and cheapest. Work your way through the next steps till you find the issue. Hope it is easy and cheap.

Last edited:

Yenilopez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If they started smoking you crossed them the second time. They were right the first time or you would have melted them and potentially blown a battery after running for 4 or 5 minutes.

Can't see your avatar on the phone so don't know year and model. It may be that you burnt the fuseable link. Does the pickup start and run. If so it isn't the link. Next step would be to check the alternator output, would not be the first time a new alternator is defective.

You can do a lot of damage to a vehicle hooking them up wrong but you might as well start with the easiest and cheapest. Work your way through the next steps till you find the issue. Hope it is easy and cheap.
Hi Dean, we also had a weird situation happen after attempting to jump start another vehicle with our 2017 Ram we didn’t have the cables wrong that am aware of.. so after attempting to jump start the other vehicle i went home and parked the truck, later when i tried to start it it wouldn’t, battery seems to be ok.. lights, windows,radio and all work it just won’t start.. already checked fuses and relays and nothing.. battery is about a month old and haven’t had any issues with the truck prior to this..any advice?

zrock

Reaction score
what they said... This is exactly why i will not jump another veh unless its someone i know. you do not know what issues they may be having with their veh that could back feed into your veh and burn something out.. even with someone i know im the one that hooks up the cables not them... Now i keep a boost pack in my truck have yet to use it on my truck but have use it lots on other people... Great pc of equipment to make sure your truck stays safe.