Alternator Upgrade on 6.4 Hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ollie770

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Anybody swapped from the 180 amp alternator to the 220 amp? Ive got a 2015 2500 with the 6.4 liter that I have a snow plow on. Wondering if the alternator is all I need or if the bolts/brackets are different? Looks like 56029644AA is the alternator - debating between getting a used low mileage factor one vs a rebuilt or aftermarket one. Any settings or sales codes need changed for it to work? I do have AlfaOBD if needed.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Anybody swapped from the 180 amp alternator to the 220 amp? Ive got a 2015 2500 with the 6.4 liter that I have a snow plow on. Wondering if the alternator is all I need or if the bolts/brackets are different? Looks like 56029644AA is the alternator - debating between getting a used low mileage factor one vs a rebuilt or aftermarket one. Any settings or sales codes need changed for it to work? I do have AlfaOBD if needed.

If you want to upgrade to the 220amp alternator for your Ram it is a complete plug-n-play bolt on unit. The voltage regulator is controlled by the PCM. Grab a 220amp alternator and bolt it in and go. Super simple.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I believe you need to do a computer update. ****, I had to have one done even when I changed my mirrors.

If your current alternator is fine, you may consider spending the money on adding in a second alternator. It is an option on the power wagon. All the bracketry and wiring can be purchased through mopar.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I believe you need to do a computer update. ****, I had to have one done even when I changed my mirrors.

If your current alternator is fine, you may consider spending the money on adding in a second alternator. It is an option on the power wagon. All the bracketry and wiring can be purchased through mopar.

Adding a second alternator would more likely need to have ECM updated than a swap to a larger single alternator. Adding a second alternator also involves adding brackets, wiring harness and belt rerouting.
Before going to a second alternator the OP would be farther ahead to add a second battery to run the plow.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I have done several of the 180/220amp upgrades. Upgrading to the single 220amp alternator does not require a PCM update or sales code added to the vehicle options list.

hotkarl

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Semi-Hemi
Well my truck has 2 alternators so it's better than yours! Lol

Pilotbell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Regarding the 220 amp upgrade. Just had it done on 2021 power wagon. Dealer charges around 250 for the swap as I provided the alternator. Here is where confusion sets in. What they did was only bolt the new one in place. What they did not do was upgrade the wiring or change out the z fuse. The 180 amp alternator to battery wire is not the correct size for the 220amp. Also the 180 amp has a 200 amp z fuse located on the battery terminal side. That fuse needs to be changed to a 250 amp from what I was told. Part# 68241002AA but the engine/ transmission harness might not support the 250 amp fuse. The alternator wire needs to be at least 2 gauge not 8 which I think the 180 amp had. I just ran a new 2 gauge wire along the existing wire route to the battery and ordered the fuse online until I find out more. I am curious about the computer upgrade as one dealer said it does need to be done and one said it does not. I was also informed that the entire engine transmission harness would need to be upgraded to the 220 amp version but everything I see online lists this harness for the dual alter Setup.

Last edited:

Demon85z

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006/2016
Engine
5.9 cummins/6.4 hemi
Regarding the 220 amp upgrade. Just had it done on 2021 power wagon. Dealer charges around 250 for the swap as I provided the alternator. Here is where confusion sets in. What they did was only bolt the new one in place. What they did not do was upgrade the wiring or change out the z fuse. The 180 amp alternator to battery wire is not the correct size for the 220amp. Also the 180 amp has a 200 amp z fuse located on the battery terminal side. That fuse needs to be changed to a 250 amp from what I was told. Part# 68241002AA but the engine/ transmission harness might not support the 250 amp fuse. The alternator wire needs to be at least 2 gauge not 8 which I think the 180 amp had. I just ran a new 2 gauge wire along the existing wire route to the battery and ordered the fuse online until I find out more. I am curious about the computer upgrade as one dealer said it does need to be done and one said it does not. I was also informed that the entire engine transmission harness would need to be upgraded to the 220 amp version but everything I see online lists this harness for the dual alter Setup.
Reviving an old thread here sorry. Have you had any complications with this since install? Did you ever upgrade the wiring or find the transmission harness for the 220?

FlatbedHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would this be an option to keep my truck out of Battery Saver Mode? I run a hay spear on my truck bed, and when lifting a bale of hay it will send it into BSM almost every time. Sometimes it even turns off my accessories like the radio or air conditioner. Just curious if this will help keep me out of BSM or if I should just look for a way to add a second battery.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put a 220 amp in my 5.7L with no issue ;) No upgrade required.

Only time you need the upgrade is if you add a 2nd one.