Alternator Upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I have a 2012 PW and I bought it used with the 180amp alternator. I spend a month a year in Baja where I run a lot of lights and every now and then have a to do multiple pull recoveries. I was thinking of putting in the 220amp as a replacement but wondering if that will screw up the computer? I've been told multiple things, including as long as I don't put in a dual alternator I should be fine. thoughts?

Also is putting a 270amp aftermarket alternator an option? I know they make them for the diesel

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Napa Auto parts states on their website that the 220 amp indeed fits your vehicle. You can never have too much amperage. The electrical lights and accessories are limited to only what they draw. No issues other than running a higher amp alternator robs a bit of the 5.7L horsepower versus running the 180 amp. It takes around 1 horsepower for every 25 amps.

Since you need more electrical power, best to run the higher amperage.

Last edited:
OP
OP
hbleconey

hbleconey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Napa Auto parts states on their website that the 220 amp indeed fits your vehicle. You can never have too much amperage. The electrical lights and accessories are limited to only what they draw. No issues other than running a higher amp alternator robs a bit of the 5.7L horsepower versus running the 180 amp. It takes around 1 horsepower for every 25 amps.

Since you need more electrical power, best to run the higher amperage.

what about stepping it up to a 270? I'm assuming that would work as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357