Ambient lighting dial

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-torque
I have a 2019 Ram Night Edition with LED lighting and can not figure out what the ambient lighting dial does? Nothing in the manual besides just telling me what it is. Thanks

Attachments

• 20230331_114526.jpg
    20230331_114526.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 36

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I believe that the Ambient Light dial, is just a Dimmer switch for your Map Lights & Dash Lights

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you have the lighting around the dashboard, door panels, and footwells it will dim those also or turn them off when dialed down all the way. It does in mine.

OP
OP
J

Jesse G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-torque
I wonder if it's possible that the dial is there but I do not have that lighting. Maybe there's a fuse that's blown. Just got this truck 2 weeks ago and I love it this is my third ram. Thank you so much for the reply I appreciate that.

OP
OP
J

Jesse G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-torque
Does it matter if the headlights are on or off? Do any doors have to be open to keep the interior lights on? Or do I see it just sitting in there with no headlights on and the doors closed turning that dial? Thank you

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
You can only see the effect at night. If the dial is there, you have the lights it controls. Truck on and headlights is the easiest way to see it work. It controls the amount of light in the foot wells etc while driving so they aren't too bright at night. In town you won't notice because of all the street lights but I turn mine off on the highway at night because I find them too bright.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the night video. The dial on the left is for the ambient lighting and turning it controls how bright or dim it is. If I turn the dial on the right to full brightness for the instrument cluster lights the ambient lighting turns off and when I back off of that same one to just below full brightness the ambient lighting comes back on.

OP
OP
J

Jesse G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-torque
Thank you so so much for doing that. I really appreciate that. I don't have all that lighting. I only have one little beam that comes down from the center console on the roof. Something's going on with mine I'm going to have to do some more investigating. I'll check it out soon I'll keep you updated. Thanks again it's very nice of you to do that.

TRK_GANG74

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
One of those dials should also dim or brighten that light. It does in mine. I hardly even notice that light in the center console above my head because it’s so dim at its full brightness. It gives just enough light to see objects in the center console when open and the cup holder/change organizer but not enough to be blinding or distracting. The light from my 12 inch screen does a better job lighting up that area.

OP
OP
J

Jesse G

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-torque
Well the dial does work. But it only controls that one little light in the overhead console that shines down onto the console between the seats. I watched the video that gang 74 posted and I do not have that. I cannot find even like a port for a LED bulb where I'm seeing that light shine. The truck has to go back to the dealership next Friday because they have to replace the back window because it's leaking. I'm going to tell them what I'm seeing. Pretty strange that there would only be one little LED hooked up to that switch. Thanks again you guys for the help I'll let you know what they tell me.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you can change that in settings. If you have it set to auto your dash/interior lights dim/brighten at designated times and I believe it overrides the ambient light dial. In manual you can dim/brighten as needed.

hawkeye16

Reaction score
One things I noticed in my truck the other day was that the drive selector (4x4, auto, Low, High) wasn't lit up at night. I mean the lighting of the actual words-

When the ambient light is dialed ALL the way up it shut that off. As soon as I lowered it down slightly the letters/words illuminated. Is that normal?

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
Reviving this thread. I just got a 24 Rebel GT Night with sunroof. I don’t see a single ambient light anywhere. Were they all removed or because of my packages were removed? Right now I seem to have an ambient light control that has no lights to actually control.

Last edited:

markabby

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
i wish you could just dim the 12" screen and not the dash. I've tried many of the options, but both of them dim at the same time.

Puckstopper55

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 1500 Rebel
Engine
So it turns out that if you have the dial for the dash brightness all the way up, the ambient lights are disabled. Once I lowered the dash brightness the ambient lights suddenly came on.