AmpPro the only way?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Just wondering if there is another way to add a couple aftermarket amps to a 2017 Sport with the 8.4 and Alpine system other than the AmpPro CH41? I have a LC2 from my old 2014 with base system but I know the 8.4 sends different signals out compared to the standard system.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I just bought a ax-dsp, gives the outputs and has built in dsp for my 2013 8.4 alpine system. I have the Lc2i now, just not happy with how I need to adjust bass constantly. Found a new ax-dsp for $100 on ebay but normally are around $230, then you buy ch5 harness $29. The Lc2i Will work on your truck now, I connected it off the OEM sub outputs.

Darth

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some of the people here have been using this, Rockford Fosgate DSR1

upload_2018-10-11_20-25-53.jpeg

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I am not trying to replace the factory amp as it will still power the rear speakers. Not sure if these keep the factory amp active or not. If so, I could go the RF route as it's the same cost as the AmpPro but with a ton more features. Just need a way to capture the full range signal for the front but keep the fade adjustment to easily raise the level of the rear speakers when i have passengers. I already have a 7 band EQ I have in my center console too. Time alignment would be nice though and allow me to go active later if I decide too

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It’s not the only way, but if you plan to build a full system around the factory head unit, it’s the best way.

Eestee70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Front doors/ rear doors will give you a full range signal. You just need a capable DSP to give you the right parameters to adjust from 20 to 20. Bottom line....right equipment, right install, right adjustments. Right sound.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Front doors/ rear doors will give you a full range signal. You just need a capable DSP to give you the right parameters to adjust from 20 to 20. Bottom line....right equipment, right install, right adjustments. Right sound.
Cound not agree more. And i would definitely go the DSR1 route if I have the ability to retain the factory amp and just use it for the added amps and speakers. Even though they will be turned off to help with front stage, still would like the ability to turn them up when passengers are riding. I've emailed crutchfield to see if they know the answer.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
Did some more research and it looks like all are factory amp bypass units. So I went ahead and picked up a cheap set of 6.5 components for the rear, adaptor plates, and a small amp to power them. I'm assuming the DSR1 is better than AmpPro based on the additional features. Am I correct in this?

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There were initial issues with the DSR-1 software but they’ve steadily been making improvements. I went with the PAC and a Mosconi DSP to get a more powerful processing system.

I guess I’ve never really been a fan of All-In-One units but they do offer a solution at a lower entry cost. I just like having the ability to swap out individual pieces if I want/need to.

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
I’m thinkng the same thing. I keep seeing people talk about all of the little issues and glitches, the biggest being introducing noise to the system. I’ll probably go with the PAC for now and rely on my 7 band eq for the time being. The pac seems a little more reliable and less headaches. Thanks for your help.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Will let you know how the ax-dsp works, just came in mail today with harness. Will install it Saturday, has a 31 band eq and tons of features, 6 outputs. Right now I am only using it to the subwoofer Amp, later may do a Amp since will have 4 more outputs left. But this ax-dsp is plug and play, zero cutting wires, plug in harness, plug in the dsp, run rcas and turn on wire to the subwoofer Amp. Should take me a hour or less to install since I've had the 8.4 radio out several times and know how to remove it. Running 3 jbl gx302 3.5s up front and jbl power series 6x9s in rear doors, still running off stock alpine Amp along with the front doors and headliner. Saturday I may put 6.5s in front doors Have a set of adaptors and harness laying around. The 6.5s are some Kenwood comps I had in my doors of my 5th Gen Camaro, cost like $400 7 years ago, were best at time Kenwood made, but I noticed they say 2,0hm on back, so may work out well. Reading about the ax-dsp it sounds like it sums front and rear to get full range signal. But right now I just want it for bass.

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cound not agree more. And i would definitely go the DSR1 route if I have the ability to retain the factory amp and just use it for the added amps and speakers. Even though they will be turned off to help with front stage, still would like the ability to turn them up when passengers are riding. I've emailed crutchfield to see if they know the answer.

cruthfield doesnt know jack crap about the DSR1, call fosgate tech and they will walk you through it all and answer any type of question you have about the unit

OP
OP
Spud2388

Spud2388

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport
Engine
cruthfield doesnt know jack crap about the DSR1, call fosgate tech and they will walk you through it all and answer any type of question you have about the unit
Oh I know that lol. But regardless of what they know or don’t know, both the dsr1 and pac units utilize the factory amp plug on the radio, thus making it disabled. Not a huge deal as I have already ordered a small amp for the rears (possibly enough for my tweeters if I go active later too) and a set of components. Nothing fancy as they are just there for rear passengers when I have them. Still think the PAC unit is the what I’m going to do for now. I’ll look at dsps down the road if I feel the need.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The AmpPRO requires you to leave the factory amplifier in place (you just disconnect the speakers) and I believe it will still allow the factory amp to work normally until you bypass it. I’ve read that here but cannot personally vouch for it.

If you can, maybe test it on the rear doors after you install your PAC?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm considering picking up a 6 channel dsp and only feeding it the front 2 channels off the Dsr1 and still running the rear speakers and subwoofer off the Dsr1 and the front as a 3 way set up off the second Dsp. Anybody try this or see any problems with it. Thinking just tune the front first with the new dsp supplied by the dsr untuned set as front speakers and then tune the rear speakers and sub to match up. Would retain my factory bass adjustment as just subwoofer, fader and balance should still work. Apart from being a bit tricky to tune I believe it would work fine, but concerned I'm missing something.

TomT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ve seen systems using multiple DSPs but they were always running “side by side” and not in line with each other. Does the DSR-1 have a full range, unprocessed, pass through connection? I would worry about weird things happening by stacking processors.

I was in your situation, needed one more channel to run fully active, and opted to go PAC and Mosconi.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I’ve seen systems using multiple DSPs but they were always running “side by side” and not in line with each other. Does the DSR-1 have a full range, unprocessed, pass through connection? I would worry about weird things happening by stacking processors.

I was in your situation, needed one more channel to run fully active, and opted to go PAC and Mosconi.
Seems like I can run full range unprocessed if I like and set it as front/rear or subwoofer. It sums all signals just like the pac does and then sends it all to the integrated dsp so it should work in theory. In reality I think I should be able to run a second dsr1, but not install all the maestro software. Just run it as a stand alone dsp off the aux inputs. Have 4 sets of rcas to the back wall so I have more back there than I need if I mount a second one back there and plenty of room for another amp for rear speakers. Simple install apart from running a set of speaker wires to the sail panels and mounting the tweeters. Dash speakers would just be a simple swap from tweeters to mids.