Another tailgate recall?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raylan Givens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Crew
Engine
I just saw something about a tailgate recall affecting 2015 - 2018. The recall starts in June.

I had a recall repair done a month ago for my tailgate (17'). I believe it was pretty old, FCA had been bugging me about it for months.

Is this the same recall from months ago, did they just expand it to cover more trucks?

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
Looks like there is a new one..... This was on Mopar.com for my VIN.

Recall Date
May 09, 2019
FCA Recall # V44
NHTSA Recall #19V-347
Safety Defect/Non Compliance Description and Safety Risk

The tailgate actuator limiter tab within the power lock actuator control assembly may fracture allowing the lock rod control bracket to over-travel which may pull the lock rods and release the latches, potentially resulting in the tailgate inadvertently falling open at any time. An unintended opening of the tailgate while driving may result in a loss of unrestrained cargo from the truck bed while driving. Lost cargo may create a road hazard to operators and occupants of other vehicles, and can cause such vehicles to crash without

Repair Description

FCA US will conduct a Voluntary Safety Recall on all affected vehicles. The remedy for this item will limit the locking actuator travel and not allow the pivot arm from overtraveling and pulling on the locking/unlocking rods

Recall Status

Incomplete but repair parts are available
SCHEDULE SERVICE SUBMIT REIMBURSEMENT

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Recall Date
May 09, 2019
FCA Recall # V44
NHTSA Recall #19V-347

The tailgate actuator limiter tab within the power lock actuator control assembly may fracture allowing the lock rod control bracket to over-travel which may pull the lock rods and release the latches, potentially resulting in the tailgate inadvertently falling open at any time. An unintended opening of the tailgate while driving may result in a loss of unrestrained cargo from the truck bed while driving. Lost cargo may create a road hazard to operators and occupants of other vehicles, and can cause such vehicles to crash without

Repair Description

FCA US will conduct a Voluntary Safety Recall on all affected vehicles. The remedy for this item will limit the locking actuator travel and not allow the pivot arm from overtraveling and pulling on the locking/unlocking rods

Recall Status

Sounds pretty similar to U74:

https://www.chrysler.com/universal/webselfservice/pdf/U74.pdf

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Recall Date
May 09, 2019
FCA Recall # V44
NHTSA Recall #19V-347

Repair Description

Recall Status

Same recall, just for the 8’ bed trucks that weren’t included on the last one.

OP
OP
R

Raylan Givens

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Crew
Engine

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Same recall, just for the 8’ bed trucks that weren’t included on the last one.
Not exactly, I just received the recall on my 2018 short-bed yesterday so not limited to 8’ bed

*** edit****
I stand corrected I received v44

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
Got the same today for my 2018 long bed. Any chance a dealer will just give me the part? I won't let any of those tools touch my truck.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
looks like some have been able to get the dealer to just give it to them. make sure you do an inspect for fractures on the latch, the point of failure. An inspection (by a lvl 2 tech I've been told) is part of the recall process.

crockett

Reaction score
Ram Year
None yet
Engine
None yet
looks like some have been able to get the dealer to just give it to them. make sure you do an inspect for fractures on the latch, the point of failure. An inspection (by a lvl 2 tech I've been told) is part of the recall process.

Thank you. I'll call around tomorrow.