Anti wrap / power hop shock and 6.5" lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 ram 2500 6.4 big horn

6.5" rbp lift

What do you guys do about the 5th shock when lifting these trucks? I believe it's called the anti power hop shock by Mopar, or anti axle wrap shock.

It still fits.. But it's definitely extended more. Is there a longer shock? I've heard its a super stiff shock, not like a regular one. Or is there an extended bracket? Or can you just use a shock extender?

While we're on the topic, are there traction bars for the 2016 2500? Everything either says it will fit other year 2500s or if it's a 2016 only the 3500s

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2016 ram 2500 6.4 big horn

6.5" rbp lift

What do you guys do about the 5th shock when lifting these trucks? I believe it's called the anti power hop shock by Mopar, or anti axle wrap shock.

It still fits.. But it's definitely extended more. Is there a longer shock? I've heard its a super stiff shock, not like a regular one. Or is there an extended bracket? Or can you just use a shock extender?

While we're on the topic, are there traction bars for the 2016 2500? Everything either says it will fit other year 2500s or if it's a 2016 only the 3500s

I am not sure about the anti wrap shock...those bigger lift kits dont come with a drop bracket?

You have a coil sprung rear suspension with 4 control arms...you basically have a traction bar from the factory. 3500’s have leaf springs, thats why they sell em for those (as well as ‘12 and older 2500’s).

OP
OP
Thorbeast

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not sure about the anti wrap shock...those bigger lift kits dont come with a drop bracket?

You have a coil sprung rear suspension with 4 control arms...you basically have a traction bar from the factory. 3500’s have leaf springs, thats why they sell em for those (as well as ‘12 and older 2500’s).
From what I've read, the wheel hop still happens partly because of the big soft bushings on the factory control arms so I imagine upgrading those would help a lot

But no, there's no drop bracket which is odd. The shock is super super stiff

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
From what I've read, the wheel hop still happens partly because of the big soft bushings on the factory control arms so I imagine upgrading those would help a lot

But no, there's no drop bracket which is odd. The shock is super super stiff

New control arms from Core4x4 should solve it

Yes...I have had lots of wheel hop issues. Not completely sure its a wrapping issues, or just a hop issue. None the less there are issues.

I have considered either pure performance arms to help with this, or core arms. But yes, I think the big bushing have a lot of give.

OP
OP
Thorbeast

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Seems like replacing just the lowers can greatly improve it

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not a problem unique to the ram's or the 2500 in particular. Traction bars help on the 3500's when the leafs aren't enough to control axle wrap, but the 1500/newer 2500's are both 5 links so the control arm's serve the same purpose. You can get away with just the lower, but I'd just replace all 4 of the control arms and enjoy the upgrade in axle stability/control. The Mopar IRS cars have similar problems, but being IRS there are lot more bushings/arms to replace compared to our trucks. Dealt with both and I'd much rather do control arms 1 at a time in the driveway on a Ram than drop a cradle, replace control arms, shave bushings, install lock outs, add quad shocks, and install a diff brace lol.

If you want to go the extra mile you can get longer bolts and run 3 of the bilstein antihop shocks side-by-side, but the control arms are going to be a way better bang for you buck.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
For wheel hope I highly recommend Rear control arms and it wouldnt hurt to do a Pan hard bar all from Core 4x4. We can get you set up if interested

OP
OP
Thorbeast

Thorbeast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
On my original question though is it okay for that fifth shock to be extended so much with a lift or should I try to find a different bracket

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
On my original question though is it okay for that fifth shock to be extended so much with a lift or should I try to find a different bracket

I haven't seen a bracket for the hop shock from any of the lift makers, but you could go looking for a custom length by measuring how much farther out you are and comparing that to the compressed/extended length of the currently available stock power hop shocks. I like 50/50 valved mono-tubes for this sort of application as the whole goal of a power hop shock is to keep the axle stabilized. So long as your down travel isn't limited by the hop shock maxing out before your normal shocks it honestly isn't a big deal. Definitely only something I would look at after doing the control arms or if it's limiting your suspension travel.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not familiar with your lift, but it doesnt come with a bracket/extension for it?

Before I fretted too much about it, I would take the shock off and cycle the suspension to determine the max extended and collapsed length needed, then measure the shock and see what it offers...you may not need to do anything.