Any LED bulbs fit in OEM projectors?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RamDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've read too many LED threads lately but it sounds as though most recommend HID over LED. To me, HID seems like a more complicated install with too much to go wrong. LED simple plug and play right?

The only issue I've read is that they don't fit behind the dust cap. Has anyone installed LEDs that do fit behind the dust cap?

Any other recommendations for OEM projectors?

OP
OP
RamDawg

RamDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Never mind. Found some answers by searching early in 2015. There are way too many threads on this subject. Sorry to add to it.

Looks like I'm going with HIDs.

Ram Man

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Sport
Engine
Hid and a led install are both super straight forward and plug and play. If you think you cant do one then you cant do the other.

Do yourself a favor and buy a quality kit the first time if you go with hids. I had the kit from retrofitsource and it lasted 4 years without one misfire as opposed to my ebay special that only lasted a year before fading colors.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I run led's from The Auto LED up in Canada, they have a fb page and thats where I found them. I got the low/fog set up they offer with all necessary wiring for the 15+ vehicles for $285 or so shipped to the US. Tons of usuable light, straight forward install and everything fit under the dust cap on the headlights. I'm very happy with this set up and would highly recommend it!

Ram48

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5,7
I run led's from The Auto LED up in Canada, they have a fb page and thats where I found them. I got the low/fog set up they offer with all necessary wiring for the 15+ vehicles for $285 or so shipped to the US. Tons of usuable light, straight forward install and everything fit under the dust cap on the headlights. I'm very happy with this set up and would highly recommend it!

um, which LED do you have installed in your low beam? I think a link with "auto led" in ebay does not help :)

Which headlight do you have? Projector´s?

My opinion is that you must have at least up to 5000 Lumen each bulb for low beam projector´s. These LED´s need a fan, and so the dust cap is a problem. All other LED´s with 3000 Lumen or so have no fan, you can put this behind the dust cap, but i think the power is not sufficient enough...

OP
OP
RamDawg

RamDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Thanks bro. I sent them a FB message to see what they recommend.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
um, which LED do you have installed in your low beam? I think a link with "auto led" in ebay does not help :)

Which headlight do you have? Projector´s?

My opinion is that you must have at least up to 5000 Lumen each bulb for low beam projector´s. These LED´s need a fan, and so the dust cap is a problem. All other LED´s with 3000 Lumen or so have no fan, you can put this behind the dust cap, but i think the power is not sufficient enough...
I have projectors on my Black Edition Express... check them out on FB, lots of pics and info there. The fogs have fans and the low's have heatsinks. Nice quality product and they work well in conjunction as a full set up. I've had many oem and aftermarket HID kits through the years and honestly have zero complaints on light output and hell my windshield is fully tinted 50%! Too often on this board we listen to what people "think" rather than what others are using and actually giving feedback on. While I wouldn't say they are as bright as an HID kit I got both kits at $285 where as I see vendors with quality HID set ups that you would pay $430 for a low/fog set up plus you need to drill holes in dust caps and other problems I've seen members here encounter with the 15's + made me go this direction and I have ZERO complaints to date! Hope this helps! :favorites13:

OP
OP
RamDawg

RamDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the info they sent:
" Thanks for the message!! For the projector style Rams regarding the HID & LED for the lows this is a very common question. Going with the LED will give you crisp white light, an improvement over stock putting out ~2500lm vs 1800lm stock, and the entire LED conversion will be installed inside the headlight housing and require no modifications to the dust cap making this the most straight forward install for the headlights.

Now going with the HID set up for the lows you will get a substantial increase in output (~3200lm) over the factory 1800lm however with these you would require the 1" hole to be made in the dust cap to run the bulb wires through the provided grommet to externally mounted ballast. Now with our MS15+ HID kit this is the only modification that has to be done as our kits to not require a relay harness, load resistors, or any additional wiring. Besides the hole in the cap and ballast mounting the install is also very straight forward. These mopar spec ballasts are very simple to install and will give you a huge improvement in the output. For HID bulbs we use the manufacturer Cnlight which is the top rated aftermarket HID manufacturer, that being said the color match is identical with no color fade. These bulbs matched with the ballasts give a very crisp white light with no over powering blue tint (which also matches the Cree fogs perfect).

Between the two options for the lows it becomes more of a personal preference however the HID will produce the highest output.

For the fogs the best all around upgrade is LED for the simplicity of the install and given the increased spacing around the housing the kits we have available will run you as high as 4000lm per bulb. Our Cree MK-R kit alone is 3528lm per bulb and puts out more light than an HID set up with no glare due to the LED chip design and orientation.

For the LED lows and LED fogs along with all of the inline feedback modules it is $285us which includes free shipping. Going with the HID lows and the LED fogs it would be $317us with free shipping."

TonyMM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 RAM 1500 CC 6"4 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also wanted to go this route with their LED in the fogs and in the low....

However I read in a different thread about the quality of the OPT7 LED for the low beam with as much as 3500 lumen (compared to 2500 (Led) or 3200 (HID) here).

http://www.opt-7.com/fluxbeam-led-headlights/

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

OP
OP
RamDawg

RamDawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also wanted to go this route with their LED in the fogs and in the low....

However I read in a different thread about the quality of the OPT7 LED for the low beam with as much as 3500 lumen (compared to 2500 (Led) or 3200 (HID) here).

FluxBeam LED Headlights - Opt-7

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

My understanding is that the opt7 led does not fit inside the dust cap. I'm not a fan, no pun intended, of having a hole in the dust cap.

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
My understanding is that the opt7 led does not fit inside the dust cap. I'm not a fan, no pun intended, of having a hole in the dust cap.

I wasn't either... a big reason I went with the Auto LED set up!

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
I wasn't able to find them, do you have a link to their site?

Edit - found them on Facebook!

https://m.facebook.com/TheAutoLED/

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed my leds on sunday, took about 15 minutes per side, no need to remove grill

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Just spoke with the guys at The Auto LED. They said they mostly work with Rams and the 2015+ are 100% problem free. They replied very quickly with answers to my questions too, which impressed me.

They said to use an HID low beam with LED highs/fogs for the best output. They also said that their LED low beam fits perfectly in the projector housing.

Price is as follows:
0ed576b719813656eed39bf0be28d500.jpg

This is in CAD and excludes tax. Free shipping in at least Ontario, not sure about the rest of the country or the US

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The leds fit perfectly inside and you can also place the cover back on with no issues, did mine on sunday and they are awesome, going to do led fogs next, dont want the hassles associated with HID's had them before and they dont last long.

roastpuff

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this kit (LED lows and fogs) as well so far no problems and good lighting!

CMil527

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 RAM 1500 LARAMIE-CC
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Yeah I love mine... the led combo set up (low/fog) offers plenty of light!

Mineralram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
For those wondering about the heat sync braids, they do get warm but they can be held with your bare hands and will not cause any melting or warping issues.

kg93

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Just spoke with the guys at The Auto LED. They said they mostly work with Rams and the 2015+ are 100% problem free. They replied very quickly with answers to my questions too, which impressed me.

They said to use an HID low beam with LED highs/fogs for the best output. They also said that their LED low beam fits perfectly in the projector housing.

Price is as follows:
0ed576b719813656eed39bf0be28d500.jpg

This is in CAD and excludes tax. Free shipping in at least Ontario, not sure about the rest of the country or the US

Do you happen to have the part number or something for the cree mk-r? Im going to get some retrofit projectors since my retrofit quads failed on me. Might as well finish them off with a led high beam

xrsman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 Ecodiesel
Do you happen to have the part number or something for the cree mk-r? Im going to get some retrofit projectors since my retrofit quads failed on me. Might as well finish them off with a led high beam
Sorry no I don't, I haven't purchased LEDs yet

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demon Hunter 441