Any must have options on a new truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
Looking for a new ride. I need power seats to get enough headroom out of a Ram, and need seating for at least 6 because I have 4 kids. That limits me to the Big Horn or the Laramie in the 1500 from what I can tell, and I don't like fake leather, so probably the Big Horn. 4x4 is another must, and the integrated brake controller is a strong want.
I haven't completely written off a Power Wagon, but its probably not going to fit in the attached garage with the longer bed. My current Avalanche is tight.
The other vehicle I am slightly considering would be a soft top Wrangler. The hard top is short on headroom.

Leaning towards an e-torque 5.7, if I can find one, for the engine.

any other options I should be considering?

RainDesert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 33 gallon tank for extended range is a must for many buyers.

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For me, it'd be 3.92 gears with limited slip, 4x4, the larger fuel tank, LT tires, brake controller, tow mirrors, 6'4 bed crew cab.

Other than that I'd want a base truck, preferably with vinyl. I might use my truck differently than you do though so creature comforts could be important and then you'd likely want the leather and heated whatnot.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My "glad I got features" are the 50 gallon gas tank, 4x4, heated seats/steering wheel and wheel to wheel running boards. I should also add the black/light mountain brown interior. (I love it).

Red

OP
OP
G

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
depends where you live, heated steering wheel/seats?
Towing package?
Limited slip
3.92 gears
no start/stop (some have that now)
factory remote start?
What do the lower gears do the mpg? I was thinking the extra 90 ft-lbs off idle from the e-torque (if I can get it) would reduce the need for the lower gears.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
1)Level 2 equipment package w/8.4” screen.
2)Bed utility group (I don’t have but wish I did).
3)Wheel to wheel steps. If not OEM then after market. They save your seats. Would think especially on a 4x4 with kids crawling in and sliding out.
4)OEM rubber floor mats. Best money you’ll spend on your truck.
5)Rear wheelhouse liners.
6)Rear under seat compartment storage option.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
What do the lower gears do the mpg? I was thinking the extra 90 ft-lbs off idle from the e-torque (if I can get it) would reduce the need for the lower gears.
True, just didnt know if you plan to tow, if you had a camper, etc Id like the lower gears for pulling.

JD Martin

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you are considering a Wrangler as well, you really don't have a need for a truck and can probably do much better with a heavy duty SUV like an Armada or a Sequoia or an Expedition, something like that. It sounds like you need towing capacity, 4WD and room for 4 kids. That's really a full size heavy duty SUV. You can get a 4th kid in the jumper seat up front but it will suck. Why do it when the kids can have 4 comfortable seats for themselves?

RVGuy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you are considering a Wrangler as well, you really don't have a need for a truck and can probably do much better with a heavy duty SUV like an Armada or a Sequoia or an Expedition, something like that. It sounds like you need towing capacity, 4WD and room for 4 kids. That's really a full size heavy duty SUV. You can get a 4th kid in the jumper seat up front but it will suck. Why do it when the kids can have 4 comfortable seats for themselves?
If I needed to seat 6, I'd wait until the next Grand Cherokee comes out. It's supposed to have a third row and then you can still have the Hemi and pretty decent towing capacity.

OP
OP
G

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
I don't need a ton of towing capacity, but the integrated brake controllers are so nice that I have used, I would much rather have one if possible. Besides, quite a few things have changed in the 15 years since I purchased the Avalanche this would replace. I expect plenty more will change before this vehicle is shot. 4 kids and 3 moves have happened since the last truck was purchased. So has the purchase and sale of a 10k enclosed car hauler. I'll spend a couple of bucks now to protect for that possibility in the future.
I use the bed of my current Avalanche more than I use the 6th seat. We generally take the Minivan for family outings, but occasionally we need everyone in a 4x4. The Wrangler is in consideration at all because I liked my last one and they claim a stick is still an option. The Wrangler would also be quite a bit cheaper than the other options with a stick and a soft top. I have no confidence that a GC would be roomy enough for me, The Durango is marginal at best. Besides, it is the current deals and looming explosive inflation that have me moving up my purchase plans. I was planning 2 more years if I could limp the current ride that long.
Nissan is not an option. The nearest dealer is too far away. I was at one time considering an Electric Leaf, but the range wouldn't get it home from the nearest dealer. Seeing what MI did to electric vehicle registration to keep Tesla out, makes me glad I skipped buying one.
Toyota is not an option as the local dealer has outright lied to me when shopping previously. I'll not do business with someone that has proven to be untrustworthy if I can at all help it.
The local Ford dealer just likes to ignore me or quickly brush me off when ever I have gone there looking for a vehicle. The last time there I ended up with a minor injury because they couldn't be bothered to keep their lot clear of ice, nor could they be bothered to see if I was well after the fall. That was their last chance with me for this sale. Too bad too; I like Ford products, but I also buy a new vehicle local so I get decent service after the sale without a long drive.
The new Chevy is just ugly.
The local GMC dealer screwed me in the past.
I guess I am limited to Chevy and FCA based on the local dealers. Looks like I might get a family discount on FCA as well.

Last edited:

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The seats in the new Laramie are fantastic even though part of the seat is not leather the main parts that you sit on are. I just rode 100 miles in one (2019 Laramie CC 4X4) day before yesterday and man it rode like a Cadillac compared to my 2017 Laramie. I think PB start is standard from the Bighorn up. Don't know how much you'll miss the ventilated seats in the UP, probably not much. I would recommend driving both models just to be sure.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
My must have's were:
Rambox w/bed divider
Ventilated seats
Rear wheelhouse liners
LED lighting
Heated steering wheel
NO air suspension

My Laramie checked all those boxes. The only thing I didn't get that I wish I would have is the 33 gallon fuel tank. But I can live with stopping for gas a little more often.
As mentioned, there's no comparison between the Laramie's leather trimmed seats in the 5th gens and the leather seats in the 4th gens. I love them, and have had many people say how they feel like they're riding in a luxury car when they're in my truck. To be fair, most of these people have never ridden in a luxury car, but you get the point I hope.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You need seating for 6, their stuff and some tow capacity. Sounds like you need a suburban. Just do us a favor and don't buy a black, dark blue or white one so we don't have to slow down to check. With kids non perforated leather is your best friend. Just wipe the spills and sticky stuff off in seconds.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
If I had to buy a larger, larger than Durango SUV, hands down would be a Toyota Sequoia.
Resale, and overall warranty trustworthiness, yes.
upload_2020-4-1_10-50-2.png

Midknight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Seating 6 in the Ram is fine. Granted I have my wife and 4 girls (14, 16, 16, 21) but we've done a 2100 mile round trip even. I must say that my kids grew up road tripping from travel sports and too expensive to fly vacations. If you are considering an SUV just wait for the new 2021 Yukon or Tahoe, stay away from the XL or Suburban current or next gen (too big). The new Jeep Wagoneer is also an option but really don't have a time frame on that yet.

I wanted a 5th gen 6 passenger with color matched bumpers and wow are the options limited. To be honest I don't like center consoles or anything that interferes/touches my legs when driving. On the Big Horn the North Edition doesn't force you to buckets and will get you some nice options for the price including color matched bumpers. No sport or black editions unfortunately.

My must haves besides 5.7 Hemi:
  • Anti-spin or elock depending on package
  • 3.92 Gear
  • Big Horn level 2 (worth the small difference from level 1)
  • Premium Lighting Group
  • Bed Utility Group
  • Wheel Liners
  • Rubber Floor Mats
  • North Edition or...
  • Sport/Black Packge (If I break down and go 5 seat since my kids are getting older. One drives and others will soon.)
My wants:
  • 6' 4" Bed
  • Split Tail Gate
  • Under Storage
  • Navigation
  • Trailer Brake Controller (Not Trailer Package)
Good luck shopping. Right now my dealership won't even quote over the internet. This was because of the state lock down and not being able to deliver vehicles. Plus new incentives aren't available yet from what I was told. Waiting to hear back.

Quyonmob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
After driving my 2017 crew 4x4 pentastar SXT Plus for almost 2 years:
-Ltd slip (had no idea aftermarket support was so limited)
-biggest fuel tank available

I knew I was fine at a low trim level as I already priced out aftermarket tow mirrors and an Apple CarPlay head unit.

I commute 400mi/wk and the small fuel tank is stupid, even with the pentastar’s fuel economy.

I know this is a 5th Gen request, but my “shoulda hads” are the same 4th to 5th Gen.

OP
OP
G

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
My must have's were:
Rambox w/bed divider
Ventilated seats
Rear wheelhouse liners
LED lighting
Heated steering wheel
NO air suspension

My Laramie checked all those boxes. The only thing I didn't get that I wish I would have is the 33 gallon fuel tank. But I can live with stopping for gas a little more often.
As mentioned, there's no comparison between the Laramie's leather trimmed seats in the 5th gens and the leather seats in the 4th gens. I love them, and have had many people say how they feel like they're riding in a luxury car when they're in my truck. To be fair, most of these people have never ridden in a luxury car, but you get the point I hope.
the wheelhouse liners, what do they do?
is the LED lighting a noticeable difference?
I do like the heated steering wheel on the minivan, but it is not worth the cost of all that other crap that I would have to get to get it.