Any must have options on a new truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
G

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
I put the Katzkin leather in my Lone Star. Absolutely worth every penny. Has no adverse effect on the heated seats. View attachment 200630
I bet some sections of those leather seats are plastic, and they will crack on you within 10 years. I keep my crap longer than 10 years.

OP
OP
G

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
If they were bulbs it wouldn't be a problem. On the oe ones is the light goes out you have to replace the entire fixture. My neighbor has already replaced 1 headlight and 1 tail light on his 2017. The headlight was warranty, but the tail light cost him $500. Headlight would have been around the same. That's just parts. No labor.
be VERY careful using bulbs not designed for your reflector. If you end up blinding incoming traffic, all you get is a good view of the vehicle that takes your life.

OP
OP
G

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
I'd strongly suggest getting a truck. SUV are cute but once you have a truck you'll never go back.

Like others have said, depends on where you live (Heated Steering Wheel, Heated Seats)
Limited Slip - Get it from the factory installed otherwise if you do it at the dealer it only has a 1-3 year warranty
3.92 if you definitely will do hauling of a camper
3.21 is fine if you don't haul a big camper (Under 7k lbs)

I have a 2017 Big Horn
8.4 display
4x4
Tow Package (Tow Mirrors, In cab brake controls)
26 gallon tank
Wheel well inserts
Bed spray protection
Bed led lights
Heated Steering Wheel
Heated Seats

My only mistake is that it came with Open Differential
If I have the shop install LSD then I lose the lifetime on the rear
I installed aftermarket side steps for just under 300.00
You only loose the lifetime coverage if the aftermarket part causes the failure. If your pinion bearing goes out, you would still be covered.

OP
OP
G

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
I guess it comes down to how much money I want to blow. Each one looks to be about a $10k step over the last.

Wrangler with a stick, a rag top and a trailer, $35k
Bighorn 4x4 crew cab 1500, $45k
Powerwagon, $55k

All of it will be dependent on availability, and I can't buy anything now anyways with the shut-downs.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
be VERY careful using bulbs not designed for your reflector. If you end up blinding incoming traffic, all you get is a good view of the vehicle that takes your life.
The point was the factory led lights don't have replaceable bulbs. You have to replace the whole fixture if it burns out and they're ungodly expensive.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I bet some sections of those leather seats are plastic, and they will crack on you within 10 years. I keep my crap longer than 10 years.
They are not 100% top to bottom, front to back, side to side leather but they are much more substantial than the factory “leather” seats that come in the Laramie. I did not look at a higher trim level so I can’t speak about the Longhorn or Limited. You may be right; they may eventually show some cracking. Nothing lasts forever except death. But as with all things, some basic care will extend their life. I have no doubt they’ll last beyond any length of time you could expect the standard cloth seats to last.

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
The point was the factory led lights don't have replaceable bulbs. You have to replace the whole fixture if it burns out and they're ungodly expensive.
I thought you were talking those LED "bulbs" that people put into halogen reflectors.

Reactions: BWL

Desertdawg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Laramie has the auto leveling feature, and I love it. I have read about freezing weather causing it not to work properly, but I live in Twin Falls, Idaho and just came through sub freezing temps w/o one issue. The truck lowers when I lower my tailgate. It also is far easier for my wife to get in and out of.
My backup camera needs the alarm for sure.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The next vehicle I buy will largely be purchased based on how good the headlights are. After buying my 2017 Big Horn and dealing with the garbage headlights I will never make that mistake again!

That was my sentiment exactly. The LED headlights on my 2020 Laramie work great. Even better than the HID's on my Audi.

Agreed, but since adding my LED in mine, all good.

You must not care about oncoming drivers. LED's should only be used in headlight housings designed for LED's. If you think you're being safer you're not. You might be able to see better, but the other guy is being blinded by you. I realize that companies are getting better about designing them for halogen housings, and there are a select few that are close. But it's about filament size, shape, and alignment. Based on the pic you attached, it appears that you have a lot of light scatter above the cutoff. It would suck to have you behind me at night. LED's will never be an exact replacement in housings designed for halogen bulbs.

regarding fitting in your garage. Make sure you measure your available room, incluidng room to either walk in front or behind the truck once parked with the garage door down. Also, the Tradesman model with the regular cloth seats will have a pop-up center seat with consol flip down center. In the up position, it's a seat with seat-belt. Lots cheaper than a Bighorn, tons cheaper than Laramie.

The Tradesman is good value, and they actually have decent standard features. I had a 2015 Tradesman EcoDiesel, and it was great for what it was. But I quickly realized that I wanted some of the things the higher trim levels offer, and are not available on the Tradesman. Things like heated steering wheel and seats, power seats, full center console, automatic wipers, ventilated seats, larger cluster and uconnect displays.

No room to walk in front or behind the current ride, I park on the right side and the doors are on the left, so no big deal.
I think I would prefer a tradesman (don't like chrome over plastic), but no power seat option at that level. I need the power seats to fit in these trucks. I have a very long torso.

I have a Laramie, and I do not have chrome bumpers or grille. My truck has very little chrome in fact. Pretty much limited to the badges, wheels, and exhaust outlets. You don't have to settle for a Tradesman to avoid chrome.

I've heard people are having trouble with etorque so do some research about it

It's always helpful to do research on any purchase, especially a major purchase. I fully endorse that recommendation. But I don't think it's helpful when people post that they "heard people are having trouble with...", without knowing anything about it themselves. Sure people have reported problems with etorque. People have also reported having problems with pretty much every major system on these trucks (EcoDiesel, air suspension, sunroof, etc). I have etorque on my Laramie, and so far it's been flawless. I've only had the truck for six months, so it's not fair to deem it trouble-free. But if I have trouble with it I'll deal with it at that time. I didn't have a preference one way or the other about the etorque. Truck would have been cheaper without it, but since it checked all my boxes I was fine with having it.

Anthony Kalos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Y’all gotta get the LED LIGHT PACKAGE !!!
I CAN SEE FOR MILES AND MILES AND MILES !!!
One of the best options on my 1500 Bighorn CrewCab !

TWILLIAMS9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My must haves for me included

Cummins
Mega Cab
12” uconnect
Leather
Bucket seats
Towing Technology Group
Wireless charging
Wheel to wheel running boards
LED headlights
4x4

I’m sure there’s others I considered must haves but came standard on laramies. Decided to get everything I want so I’m not stuck wanting to “upgrade” in a few years.

OP
OP
G

Groo

Reaction score
Ram Year
shopping
Engine
shopping
I have a Laramie, and I do not have chrome bumpers or grille. My truck has very little chrome in fact. Pretty much limited to the badges, wheels, and exhaust outlets. You don't have to settle for a Tradesman to avoid chrome.

You are touching on a pet peeve of mine with the Rams.

You have to pay quite a bit more to get the non-bling version on trim levels higher than the tradesman.

Were I do a factory order, I might end up with the olive green with the chrome. That color doesn't look horrible to me with chrome.

I also hate how you have to jump up several trim level to get a color that isn't white, black or some version of pavement camouflage.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
You must not care about oncoming drivers. LED's should only be used in headlight housings designed for LED's. If you think you're being safer you're not. You might be able to see better, but the other guy is being blinded by you. I realize that companies are getting better about designing them for halogen housings, and there are a select few that are close. But it's about filament size, shape, and alignment. Based on the pic you attached, it appears that you have a lot of light scatter above the cutoff. It would suck to have you behind me at night. LED's will never be an exact replacement in housings designed for halogen bulbs.
Im good, thanks.

leroys73

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Everyone's wants are different. I always order the trailering package on anything it is offered on because if there is any heavy duty components offered they are included. We even have it on our mini van which as never towed a thing. I live in Texas but ordered the cold weather package, never know when I might find myself in North Dakota some winter. HA