Any Stereo Guru's out there?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ziezee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi,

I apologize. I probably only know enough to be a little bit dangerous. My terminology is probably off a bit too... anyways, long story short, I managed to set up a great system I loved in my Tacoma through help and suggestions from others. Now I'm installing it in my new 2019 Dodge Ram.

Old system was an Alpine PDX9 amp (100x4, 500x1), Hybrid Audio Unity 6.5s/tweeter with passive crossover, Mirrus in back, and a 10 inch Sub). I'm installing these into my Ram with a Rockford Fosgate DSR1 (mainly so I can keep factory deck--this shows up on Monday).

I also posted this on a specialty car stereo site, but I'm curious if there is a Dodge Ram owner that has some input on this one. I have a 2019, Bighorn, Quad, base stereo.

The new system gives me options. The DSR1 gives me 8 channels and the dash has spots for 3.5s. I could put the system in as is, or change it up a bit.

Here are how I see my options.

1. If I keep the existing 2 way system and mount the tweeters in the dash/sail/or pillar, I could...

1a. Keep the 2 way passive with Hybrid Audio crossover.
1b. Use the DSR1 and make them active.

Or...

2. Pick up the U3's and making my front speakers a 3-way: 6.5s in door, tweeter in sails or pillar, and 3.5s in the dash. My options...

2a. I already have the Hybrid Crossover for the 6.5 and tweeters. I might be able to cut the middle frequencies out with the DSR1 (I'm not sure if it does that yet, it gets here on Monday). So the two way goes in as I had it in the Tacoma, the new 3.5s get their own channel and I add a smaller 2 channel amp for the rear speakers or the 3.5s.
2b. By the crossover from Hybrid Audio to make this a 3 way passive. No additional amp needed. I can get all left/right speakers very close to the same distance away from my ears if I mount tweeters in pillar. So this could work.

2c. Expand on either 2a or b option and add another 3.5 to the center. I'd need to add more than a 2 channel amp. This would use all 8 Channels of the DSR1. Since it's only a 3.5, not sure it's gonna be enough to make a difference. But it might let me give better sound to all listeners in the car. And I could have a saved setting where I cut out the center when I'm the only person in the car.

there's also a funky option...

2d. I don't know about this, but I could free up enough channels to put all 6 front speakers on a passive system. Instead of using a channel for the sub, I could use the amp to crossover/create sub data from L/R input. That would free up enough DSR1 channels to put every speaker (no center) in the front on an active 3 way (6 channels to front, 2 to rear, no center). But, I'm not sure that's the best way to get bass to my sub...although the crossover is a decent one I think. Maybe that would be okay.

Option 3. Something I haven't thought of yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

One thing I'm not sure about, is how a 2 or 3 way system works when it comes to sucking up the power. How does the sound change if I have a passive 3 way on a 100 RMS amp compared to the 2 way system as I had it before. The two way setup has a 100RMS recommendation. I'm not sure how that changes when adding the 3.5s. The 3.5s are rated at 15RMS. Does that mean the rating goes up to 115 if on a three way?

Thanks for anything!
-Warren

mxsnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 BR V10,2005 DR Hemi,2015 DS Outdoorsman Hemi,2019 Bighorn Hemi.
Engine
hemi 5.7
I am just going to install some Altec Lansing low impedance speakers the replace the junk stock ones,these trucks are getting too complicated.

OP
OP
Ziezee

Ziezee

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm not finished, but I've made a ton of progress. Worked through a ton of bugs and it is finally coming together.

The DSR1 in universal mode is finally working. I don't have everything calibrated yet... but at least I'm moving forward finally and know how to treat the signal from the radio.

The base 6 speaker system does not have a flat amplitude signal, but it appears the DSR1 will give me all the crossover, timing, level, and equalizer adjustments to send 8 channels to two different amps. Running a 3 way in front, 6.5s in back doors, and a small sub. It's started to sound really really good. I'm finally feeling good about my truck again...

But like I say, until it's fully calibrated, I'm holding off on my final opinion on the DSR1.

mxsnow

Reaction score
Ram Year
1995 BR V10,2005 DR Hemi,2015 DS Outdoorsman Hemi,2019 Bighorn Hemi.
Engine
hemi 5.7
I need to have a talk with the audio people here.

Geoman15

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Glad to hear your audio system is coming around.
I've got HAT Legatia 6.5s and Legatia Silk some tweeters to put in my new truck front doors . (Alpine System) .
Still looking at what to use in the dash. I've got some 3.5 coax with silk come tweeters to try first.
Looking to see if the factory amp will be enough before getting serious with separate amps. I have two JL 900/5s to use at that time.
gonna deaden the doors also.
gotta love that car audio stuff.
George