Anyone else dealing RAM backorder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

David Gernert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My truck has been at the dealership since 10/7 and they are still waiting on Ram to release the backorder on my lifters and cam that failed due to MDS. Is anyone else having these issues and the ridiculous wait for parts? I've contacted chrystler care twice and found out the first contact with them on 11/12 was apparently not followed through and after talking to them again today 10/25 they are supposed to send a ticket on it. I just want my truck back and not have it sitting in the dealership back lot for another month.

MoparBrent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, do a little reading in the engine section. The lifters fail therefore wiping out the lobe on the cam. it is a MAJOR problem with the 5.7 hemi if you don't maintain it properly with the correct oil and fairly often. Also idling for long periods of a time are very bad for these engines.

Sucks that these lifters have been on such a long backorder for many people but it is what it is. If you're willing to and don't want to wait. buy an aftermarket performance cam, non MDS lifters, plug the MDS solenoids and get a custom tune. Will never have to worry about the issue again.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Also wondering year of truck, Mileage,what oil do you run you know all that good stuff we have to know.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think the irony is that FCA/RAM sit here and insist its not a big issue yet the parts are ALWAYS...ON....BACKORDER.

Do they really thinks so many people are out there "upgrading" to OEM cams and lifters that they cant keep them in stock?

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Especially when they have them held hostage at a dealer. Op did you get a free rental.

OP
OP
David Gernert

David Gernert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
@huntergreen they won’t directly say that it does but the half dozen mopar tech’s and evening a few service writers and service manager says that it does. You can’t oil starve four cylinders and banks of lifters while in eco mode then directly expect no damages to occur when they finally start again.

OP
OP
David Gernert

David Gernert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
@Ribtipram I have a 2015 crew 4x4. It has just gone over the 70,000 mile mark and all services and oil changes are done directly at the dealership by their people. It has all services, recalls, and updates done at the same dealership.

Yea. Having it sit there in the backlot dead in the water for almost two months is getting stupid.
They have given me a free rental. I’m actually in my second one due to mileage restrictions since they are new cars that will be sold as certified “pre-owned”. Finally got me into a 2wd Ram after a month of driving a Jeep renegade.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
@Ribtipram I have a 2015 crew 4x4. It has just gone over the 70,000 mile mark and all services and oil changes are done directly at the dealership by their people. It has all services, recalls, and updates done at the same dealership.

Yea. Having it sit there in the backlot dead in the water for almost two months is getting stupid.
They have given me a free rental. I’m actually in my second one due to mileage restrictions since they are new cars that will be sold as certified “pre-owned”. Finally got me into a 2wd Ram after a month of driving a Jeep renegade.

Hi David, very sorry to read about your concerns. If you'd like us to look into your case at all, feel free to send us a private message with the case number or your VIN.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
@huntergreen they won’t directly say that it does but the half dozen mopar tech’s and evening a few service writers and service manager says that it does. You can’t oil starve four cylinders and banks of lifters while in eco mode then directly expect no damages to occur when they finally start again.

Two many of the non mds lifters have failed for this to be conclusive.

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Im not so sure you oil starve when in 4cyl mode. I though the solenoids alowed oil to pass to activate the system. Am i wrong. No lifter is getting starved of oil.

Floyd1979

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 hemi crewcab Rambox
My MDS WENT out around 325,000
While in there fixing that they replaced the cam and lifters
Covered under the lifetime power train warranty

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bypass MDS in mine every time I drive. If MDS is a cause and mine still tank, we'll know if it's a factor in at least some trucks. Makes me wonder the number of non-MDS motors that failed versus the MDS failures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeckArtist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And yes....my drivers side mirror acts up and there's another one coming but no idea when.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
David Gernert

David Gernert

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Well I solved my problem. After two months of them sitting on my truck I upgraded. 2017 2500 diesel. Won’t have to worry about the lifters anymore

Scott Nugent

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi David, very sorry to read about your concerns. If you'd like us to look into your case at all, feel free to send us a private message with the case number or your VIN.

Kaitlin
Ram Cares

Just out of curiosity, did the backordered electric rack & pinions ever arrive?

Last edited:

WaterBoy1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie CC2500 Black Edition
Engine
Last winter my truck was at the dealer for 9 weeks. Waiting on a back ordered thermostat.

They treated me right and had me in a rental for the entire time (I have the extended gold warranty). But 9 weeks??

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Last winter my truck was at the dealer for 9 weeks. Waiting on a back ordered thermostat.

They treated me right and had me in a rental for the entire time (I have the extended gold warranty). But 9 weeks??

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
The question should be" But 9 weeks FOR A THERMOSTAT???? What did they save by waiting for the mopar part vs getting one from a local part store, 53 cents?????