Anyone HAPPY with Borg Warner 44-44 / Auto 4WD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I haven't heard of any 44-45 failures here or on any other forum. Seems to be a really good Tcase.

It isn't like these are wranglers where there is a very large population of owners that trail ride.

I used to abuse my jeep, I paid to play. I replaced the front half of the TC with a Teralow 4:1 kit (replaced the planetary gears making the case a 4:1 low range), added a 2 low kit (added on the fly ability to shift between 4 low and an added 2 low), replaced the main shaft and chain and added a slip yoke eliminator (replaced the output's slip yoke to a fixed yoke and added a CV style driveshaft with the slip in it). All in I had at least $2k in parts added to that TC (I did the work, or the labor would have at least doubled the cost).

Now that TC had to be strong as I would rock climb, do river crossings, hill climbs, and other heavy off-roading. These trucks typically are too big for anything other than big open mud pits, and general trail riding.

I still think the 44-45 TC will outlast the truck for the 99%...

Jrod

USAF 1997-2008
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Sport
Engine
I'm in Northern VA. I use mine whenever it snows, ice, and rains. Works great! I've never had an issue with it. Disclaimer with ice: regardless of 2x4, 4x4, FWD.. ice is ice. Once you lose traction that's it. You will keep sliding until your momentum slows down or something else brings you to a stop.

Last edited:

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On a side note, my truck is getting the t-case swapped out as we speak ! Once I get off work I will be able to try changing the codes in AlfaOBD. Cross your fingers boys
I think you need to stream it on Instagram live :)

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

14Tradesman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
After reading through this thread l, boy am I glad I got a tradesman. Curious to see what your results are with the swap. I hope it works out for you. I will be following your progress.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good luck.
I personally am fine with the 44-44. It works well for me in 4wd auto when it rains and 4wd hi is fine when it snows. I would have like having a tc like the one I had in my 2000 Grand Cherokee. It had 4wd full time which was an "open" style connection between front & rear and a part time which was a solid lock. No clutches. Sold that last year with 210000 on it with no problems. I dont' see the 44-44 making it that long without issue but I will see.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I *think* Im OK with the 44-44, but Im not sure (makes sense, right?)

Even after messing with it last winter and the one snow we had so far this year, Im still not 100% used to not backing off the throttle when the rear end starts to slide. And since it takes a little bit of rear end slide before the 4WD "kicks in", I think my driving habits are preventing the xfer case from doing its job....once I back out of the throttle the whole ball-ramp thing starts itself over so it never gets fully engaged.

Im pretty sure I also negate both 4-Auto and 4-Lock based on that driving habit, so until I get used to a little rear slide, Im not going to be 100% happy or comfortable with the 44-44.

Id love to swap to a 44-45, but that is an obvious change that could (would?) void my MaxCare.

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
It all comes down to how you use the truck. I live in northern Ontario and the 44-44 was alright if I was just driving to and from work in the snow. My problems with the case arise from when I am driving to my families bush camp in winter and the snow is quite deep. The case just couldn’t handle deep snow.

Another issue is when I would pull out the boat at the homemade launch pad on our property. The first 50 feet of the launch pad is small rock and the slipping action as the ball ramp engages makes this very challenging. You just keep digging a rut. For reference my father’s Dakota 4x4 can pull the boat out at this same launch pad with no issues or drama.

My biggest pet peeve with the t-case however is when you are trying to turn at slow speed in deep snow and the clutches keep disengaging due to the steering angle. It makes it hard to let the truck creep slowly.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Even with the 44-45 you still have 1 weak spot (assuming you have a posi rear) is the front diff is an open diff. Why can't Ram put a torsen diff up front? That would be a cheap, but huge upgrade.

Recently watched a fast lane truck youtube video of them with a 2019 Rebel, Silverado, and a Raptor. The Raptor had a locking rear & a torson front diff. It was also 15k more than the Ram & Chevy, but nicely equipped.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Personally, I am OK with the 4 X 4. But then, I am in TX, no deep snow. The problem I would have is mud/wet grass when pulling trailer with hay loaded (6,500 lbs), or Hossies (4600 lbs), but I am fortunate. The only snow shovel I own is a Broom, lol, and my snow blower is a lawn mower...

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Why can't Ram put a torsen diff up front? That would be a cheap, but huge upgrade.

In ice (in the absence of studded tires) a front open differential is the ideal setup, same with slippery rain. The only time a LS/Locking diff out performs open is in heavy snow/mud/rocks but reduces driveability all other slick conditions.

In the rear it is different, as you do not need to turn. Locked/LS diffs on slippery conditions cause the vehicle to plow straight ahead.

In an open diff the wheel without traction provides lateral traction. This is also true in the rear. You can test this on ice/rain by flooring it in a LS, the rear will fishtail, while an open diff will just lose traction.

I had a lunchbox locker in the front of my jeep, before I went to ARB lockers, there were times I white knuckled it trying to make turns.

Last edited:

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
But a torsen isn't a solid lock it allows you to make turns. I don't put much worry on how a diff performs on ice as your most likely screwed anyways. The only way youre safe with ice is if your truck is in a garage when it's icy out. My point is this thread adresses the shortcomings of the 44-44 taking 1 second to engage only to have 1 front tire grab while the otger spins.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
But a torsen isn't a solid lock it allows you to make turns. I don't put much worry on how a diff performs on ice as your most likely screwed anyways. The only way youre safe with ice is if your truck is in a garage when it's icy out. My point is this thread adresses the shortcomings of the 44-44 taking 1 second to engage only to have 1 front tire grab while the otger spins.

A limited slip (LS) acts just like a locker on slick surfaces. There is nothing better than an open front differential on road. A LS or locker are better saved for offroad.

The way to address it would be to have a selective locker up front that is open when disengaged. In the rear, a selectable locker that can either be open or have LS functionality when disengaged.

Moparman16

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 Ram 1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well i’ve got good news and bad news.

First with the bad news...

Your wives will be pissed when they find out you are going to be buying a 44-45 case for your truck for Christmas

The good news....IT WORKED!!

I changed the t-case type to “BW44-46 with synchro” and got no warnings at all. Then when I checked the system ID for the t-case type it showed BW44-45, BW 44-46 with synchro and about 5 other transfer cases model numbers. Started the truck up and tested all of the modes. Everything worked perfect. For the final test I shifted the truck into 4Low and then back to 2wd. I then climbed underneath and verified that the front drive shaft spins freely in 2wd.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Your wives will be pissed when they find out you are going to be buying a 44-45 case for your truck for Christmas

I changed the t-case type to “BW44-46 with synchro” and got no warnings at all. Then when I checked the system ID for the t-case type it showed BW44-45, BW 44-46 with synchro and about 5 other transfer cases model numbers. Started the truck up and tested all of the modes. Everything worked perfect. For the final test I shifted the truck into 4Low and then back to 2wd. I then climbed underneath and verified that the front drive shaft spins freely in 2wd.
Great news!

Hopefully it doesnt drive up the price of used 44-45s

Edit: I knew I shouldn't have bought max care....

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

This is the best news I've heard in weeks!!
Guess I'll be hunting down a 44-45 now...

So in Alfa all you had to change is the BCM setting to "BW44-46" and then put the correct switch in the dash?