Anyone running 4th gen rebel wheels on a 3rd gen ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
Hey Guys! Like the title states , has anyone put any 4th gen rebel wheels on their 3rd gen ? I think that would look pretty cool. I have always liked that wheel since they came out when I was working for Chrysler. All rebels came with 2 sets of wheel so there are alot of spare sets floating around... 3rd and 4th gens have same wheel bolt pattern so it wouldnt be hard...only thing that may impact fit is wheel offset.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
All factory 3rd and 4th gen 20x9's are forwards and backwards compatible and have the same specs. Just use your lug nuts as there was a mid 4th gen change in thread.

OP
OP
B

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
All factory 3rd and 4th gen 20x9's are forwards and backwards compatible and have the same specs. Just use your lug nuts as there was a mid 4th gen change in thread.

Good to know...I didnt check wheel offsets but assume the rebel has a slightly lower offset than facory 3rd gen's but dont think its enough to impact rubbing...But has anyone done this ??? Pictures ?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Just insure that lug nut threads are the same as the lug stud threads

If the stud threads are SAE, the nut threads also have to be SAE

If they are Metric threaded studs, the nuts must be Metric threads also

You would be surprised at how often someone that is not mechanically inclined will try really hard to force a nut onto a bolt or stud

Hand thread a nut onto a stud or bolt, before you try forcing it with a wrench

OP
OP
B

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
Just insure that lug nut threads are the same as the lug stud threads

If the stud threads are SAE, the nut threads also have to be SAE

If they are Metric threaded studs, the nuts must be Metric threads also

You would be surprised at how often someone that is not mechanically inclined will try really hard to force a nut onto a bolt or stud

Hand thread a nut onto a stud or bolt, before you try forcing it with a wrench

I apoligize if my question was confusing... I am not asking how to put wheels on or about lug nuts :) I know how to do all that and am aware of the change in thread pitches.... I would like to see pictures if someone has these wheels on their truck....anyone have pictures ? Sorry for the confusion.

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Hey Guys! Like the title states , has anyone put any 4th gen rebel wheels on their 3rd gen ? I think that would look pretty cool. I have always liked that wheel since they came out when I was working for Chrysler. All rebels came with 2 sets of wheel so there are alot of spare sets floating around... 3rd and 4th gens have same wheel bolt pattern so it wouldnt be hard...only thing that may impact fit is wheel offset.

What do you mean that all Rebels came with two sets of wheels? Where did the second set go? Certainly not to the buyer of the truck? I'm buying a set of Rebel wheels this week to put on my 2009.

OP
OP
B

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
What do you mean that all Rebels came with two sets of wheels? Where did the second set go? Certainly not to the buyer of the truck? I'm buying a set of Rebel wheels this week to put on my 2009.
All rebels came with 2 sets of wheels from the factory...1 set was mounted on tires and bolted to the truck. Another set that was slightly different finish and design was shipped with the truck in boxes in the back seat so that they wouldn't be stolen out of the bed of the truck. Upon purchase off the dealer lot, owners where given the 2nd set of wheels...some swapped them onto the truck but most where taken home and put in the garage...as these trucks have aged, alot folks are starting to sell them... I like that they are a 17" wheel and in my personal opinion look better than larger diameter wheels. I figure I can find a set local if I keep an eye out.

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Interesting. I've only seen the silver ones and all black ones. These are the ones I'm buying off a 2017. It's easy to find the 2019 up ones now as those trucks are new.

rebel1.jpg

OP
OP
B

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
Interesting. I've only seen the silver ones and all black ones. These are the ones I'm buying off a 2017. It's easy to find the 2019 up ones now as those trucks are new.

View attachment 248161

The silver brushed look like you show and the all black ones were the 2 sets every truck came with... I dont remember what set came in the box but I want to say it was the black set ?? Either way looks like you found a nice set! If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay ? I have seen a few sets of wheels (no tires) posted locally for $500

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
The silver brushed look like you show and the all black ones were the 2 sets every truck came with... I dont remember what set came in the box but I want to say it was the black set ?? Either way looks like you found a nice set! If you don't mind me asking, what did you pay ? I have seen a few sets of wheels (no tires) posted locally for $500

Ok. I didn't want the black ones for my truck. I'm paying $800 with the tires. There are lots of wheels on ebay including reproduction ones.

rebel4.jpg

OP
OP
B

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
Ok. I didn't want the black ones for my truck. I'm paying $800 with the tires. There are lots of wheels on ebay including reproduction ones.

View attachment 248172

I think you did well! The tires probably cost that much or nearly that much. By the time you use up the tires, you will have basically got free wheels. Nice work.

NicksGarage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Yep, going to pick them up tomorrow. I already have newer tires on my truck so I'll see which ones I like better. At least they're the same size. Ordered new lug nuts as well. Can hardly get a socket on the original ones.

OP
OP
B

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
Yep, going to pick them up tomorrow. I already have newer tires on my truck so I'll see which ones I like better. At least they're the same size. Ordered new lug nuts as well. Can hardly get a socket on the original ones.
Yeah, those stainless steel nut covers are pretty tough to work with once they start coming apart. Good call!

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
eacb7211-0fed-490b-9233-e13289077e3b-jpeg.474936
Now that's different......you put those in or did they come in the grille?

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
As far as Offset goes
I know that deep dish wheels eat up bearings pretty darn fast on the front
They sure look good until your replacing the 3rd set of bearings in 6 months
That vehicle was never driven easy