Anyone seen this hub press tool before?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Check out this video at the 5:20 mark. This guy uses a special press tool to install this hub/bearing combo. I'm just looking for that collar he's using or something like it. I've seen separators, but have not seen anything like this designed to be used as or in a press. I'm pretty sure the reason I'm replacing hubs is they used the hub to press in the bearing when they were installed a few years ago. If you know where to get this let me know.

I know this is not a Ram, but this is the garage section, so I think it's relevant here.

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Check out this video at the 5:20 mark. This guy uses a special press tool to install this hub/bearing combo. I'm just looking for that collar he's using or something like it. I've seen separators, but have not seen anything like this designed to be used as or in a press. I'm pretty sure the reason I'm replacing hubs is they used the hub to press in the bearing when they were installed a few years ago. If you know where to get this let me know.

I know this is not a Ram, but this is the garage section, so I think it's relevant here.
Video???

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I found what this is called. Now I just have to find the right set for my application. Found another youtube vid where some guy was using this on a Volvo and was kind enough to say what it was.
Here's a link to one on ebay just in case anyone needs something like it.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So, I had to get mine off Amazon from the very expensive British "Laser Tools". I couldn't find a 100 dollar Chinese set. I didn't have any lube, but at least I had some points. Man that's sore.

1 MEAN66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT-MDS
But first (this is a Puller not a press). And a possible problem, I say possible because the video does not show clearly what the center bolt of the tool is pushing against to "pull the Hub". If it is pushing against the splined end of the outer CV joint then yor are at the minimun putting flat spots on the large beraing in that joint! Whether it is felt afterwards or not it has been done. Who many lbs. of force are used to "pull" the hub?
Isaac Newton rule: for every force in one direction there is an equal force in the opposite direction. So that person has just BROKEN an automotive sacred rule - NEVER PUSH -Through- a bearing!
That is why - if - the object of the video was to replace the bearing you would remove the Knuckle, "press" out the hub from the bearing, depending how bad the contition of the bearing it would fall apart or come apart. Now you would remove the inner and outer races (if in fact it came apart) and "Press" a new bearing into the knuckle! slide in the Halfshaft outer CV joint and Torque the axle nut ( which is the finish step to "pressing in " the bearing). So engineer somewhere determined that torque for a reason(s).
Just for info all NAPA's rent tools , including these type of tools AT NO CHARGE is you get the part there. How it works, buy the bearing and the tool! when you bring back the tool, they will check to see that all tool parts are there and it is NOT damaged! they refund the money you paid for the tool, and put it back on the shelve for the next person. Other parts stores may do the same thing!?