Are RAM Classics 5th generation?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think I read somewhere that the Ram classics are 4th gen even though the year model is 2019. Is that correct?

OP
OP
Glenn54

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Thanks guys. Went to a dealer yesterday and the salesman didn't have any idea what 5th Gen meant. Should he have? Otherwise he seemed to know a fair amount about the vehicles.

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
Thanks guys. Went to a dealer yesterday and the salesman didn't have any idea what 5th Gen meant. Should he have? Otherwise he seemed to know a fair amount about the vehicles.

Many people who work at dealerships are not enthusiasts. They may not even drive the brand they work for. They know what the brand provides them with, which are selling points. I doubt generation lists make those brochures. It’s more likely they’re told “all new RAM.”

2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4x4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Glenn54

Glenn54

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I think that about sums it up. Thanks.

Many people who work at dealerships are not enthusiasts. They may not even drive the brand they work for. They know what the brand provides them with, which are selling points. I doubt generation lists make those brochures. It’s more likely they’re told “all new RAM.”

iLLeStEyECoN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I think that about sums it up. Thanks.

[emoji1303] I will say though that it’s great to find a salesman who retains that information and takes the time to share it with you, even if it’s for his own benefit.

R

Rogues Gambit

I remember visiting a friend who worked at Nissan, this young salesman tried talking my ex and I into an Altima and I kid you not, he kept looking down at the spec sheet every other second

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
I remember visiting a friend who worked at Nissan, this young salesman tried talking my ex and I into an Altima and I kid you not, he kept looking down at the spec sheet every other second

There are a lot like that, some are just doing it as a job, they aren't enthusiasts, as others stated earlier in the thread.

However, sometimes its just a guy getting his start down the enthusiast trail. We were all new once. :happy160:

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
^^^ Maybe they should study up a little. Most of us did before we went to the dealership. The ones I hate are the ones that try to wing it---****--if you don't know say, "I don't know--but I'll find out".
Jay

Coramie

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think you need to run in the other direction from that dealership. Jesus!

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Ram 1500 4x4 Bighorn Built to Serve edition
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I think the 2019 "Classics" are just 2018 leftovers . Ram company probably had alot of them made that were sitting around while the 2019 5th gens were selling like hotcakes in early to mid 2018. So, they just re-branded them as 2019 "Classics". IMO.

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
^^^ Maybe they should study up a little. Most of us did before we went to the dealership. The ones I hate are the ones that try to wing it---****--if you don't know say, "I don't know--but I'll find out".
Jay

I agree!
I remember back in 2010 when I owned my old Challenger SRT8, I was offered a job as a salesman at a CDJR dealership because I knew more about their vehicles than the salesmen knew. And no, I refused the job. I don't like it when a fun hobby becomes a job.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Classics are just the trucks they have tooling for to meet demand until they can build enough 5th gens. I told a salesman I wanted to check out a 5th gen ram and he looked confused until I said the new style one.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I heard a rumor the Classics are still selling so much, they may carry over as a 2020?

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I heard a rumor the Classics are still selling so much, they may carry over as a 2020?

Huh. Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I'll ask a friend of mine. He's a G.M.at a CDJR dealership. I'll post what he tells me about that.

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There are a lot like that, some are just doing it as a job, they aren't enthusiasts, as others stated earlier in the thread.

However, sometimes its just a guy getting his start down the enthusiast trail. We were all new once. :happy160:

Remember that when we go to the dealer we are focused on one vehicle only and we have done a lot of homework prior to the first visit. A salesman has to keep up with everything they sell including multiple makes and models. You simply can not be a true enthusiast of every vehicle made.

oilslick

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar

Huh. Interesting. I'll have to look into that. I'll ask a friend of mine. He's a G.M.at a CDJR dealership. I'll post what he tells me about that.

I asked him and he didn't know. Go figure.

tomb

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 bighorn-cherry red
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I worked on the line at a metal stamping plant for years and we stamped out RAM hood fenders and most body panels--as the 2019 panels are new dimensions and contours-they need to use the surplus from the 4th gen. ie the "classic" Its still a new truck but they just badged it as so and perhaps changed some interior effects. Also,the hoods were all stamped on the aluminum line with a die with different tungsten cutting butts. I imagine the new rams also have aluminum hoods.

GrumpyOleMan

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I worked on the line at a metal stamping plant for years and we stamped out RAM hood fenders and most body panels--as the 2019 panels are new dimensions and contours-they need to use the surplus from the 4th gen. ie the "classic" Its still a new truck but they just badged it as so and perhaps changed some interior effects. Also,the hoods were all stamped on the aluminum line with a die with different tungsten cutting butts. I imagine the new rams also have aluminum hoods.

I suspected all along that the "classic" was just an attempt to burn through the old stock. But I do see the logic in it. All the tooling was paid for years ago so for the classic it is all gravy. RAM was poised to make a run for #2 in the truck market and having the classic alongside the "all-new" kept old markets open while pursuing new markets. From all I hear it has been a success.

By the way, not really sure I wanna know was a "tungsten cutting butt" is ....