At a crossroads.. 8.4 or aftermarket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VR Nicastro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I tried to piece everything together in cost for converting in my 2016 1500 tradesmen to have the 8.4 with nav and CarPlay. Grand total from what I can find is around $1900 and I would still need the usb media harness. I am already out the $212 for the incorrect bezel. That total cost includes the bezel I have because it’s a dual zone bezel.
Infotainment for a complete plug and play kit with the correct bezel would be
$2100 and comes with warranty.

Then I started piecing together an aftermarket head unit. One with the floating screen. 8”+ size screen. Several to choose from. NO ANDROID units!
Still the cost for a complete kit that isn’t factory looking can be anywhere from $1600-1800.

Not sure what direction to go. I can still sell the bezel (maybe) and recoup that money.
Sell my Phoenix Tesla style PX6 12.1 Android unit with dash cam for $500-600, again… maybe..

What aftermarket units has other people done. I don’t really want a dbl din size screen.
I hate the Tesla Android unit I have. Just not an Android guy. I tried ‍♂️

For my work, CarPlay with maps is a necessity and the gps function is great to have when cell service is bad.

Any advice would be most helpful! I should state that money isn’t a roadblock but it is a consideration.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I tried to piece everything together in cost for converting in my 2016 1500 tradesmen to have the 8.4 with nav and CarPlay. Grand total from what I can find is around $1900 and I would still need the usb media harness. I am already out the $212 for the incorrect bezel. That total cost includes the bezel I have because it’s a dual zone bezel.
Infotainment for a complete plug and play kit with the correct bezel would be
$2100 and comes with warranty.

Then I started piecing together an aftermarket head unit. One with the floating screen. 8”+ size screen. Several to choose from. NO ANDROID units!
Still the cost for a complete kit that isn’t factory looking can be anywhere from $1600-1800.

Not sure what direction to go. I can still sell the bezel (maybe) and recoup that money.
Sell my Phoenix Tesla style PX6 12.1 Android unit with dash cam for $500-600, again… maybe..

What aftermarket units has other people done. I don’t really want a dbl din size screen.
I hate the Tesla Android unit I have. Just not an Android guy. I tried ‍♂️

For my work, CarPlay with maps is a necessity and the gps function is great to have when cell service is bad.

Any advice would be most helpful! I should state that money isn’t a roadblock but it is a consideration.

Have you contacted https://www.ramforum.com/forums/m²-mods.166/ , he can supply all the harnesses you need and support you won't get from some others. My understanding is you should be able to use the dual zone bezel, you'll just have a couple of dead buttons. I have the single zone bezel on my upgrade and I also did the single zone auto mod and if someone moves the fan speed knob it goes into manual mode and I have to use the radio screen to put it back into auto so I wish I had the auto button on the fan speed knob.

OP
OP
V

VR Nicastro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
Have you contacted https://www.ramforum.com/forums/m²-mods.166/ , he can supply all the harnesses you need and support you won't get from some others. My understanding is you should be able to use the dual zone bezel, you'll just have a couple of dead buttons. I have the single zone bezel on my upgrade and I also did the single zone auto mod and if someone moves the fan speed knob it goes into manual mode and I have to use the radio screen to put it back into auto so I wish I had the auto button on the fan speed knob.
I couldn’t find the DM tab to contact him directly. I am new to the site and I’m not familiar with all the features. I did post in the thread but didn’t see a response from him.

dwhutch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would search car-part for the radio. I snagged a 2020 UAS for under 300 there last november. Pieced the rest together on ebay and got the harness from mpgrimm. I use the dual zone bezel with only single zone ATC, works just fine (and I plan on adding dual zone in the future anyway). All in all I spent less than $800 going from a 3" base radio to an 8.4 with carplay and upgrading from manual climate to auto.

Brads41789

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I thought i did good with my $650 uaq find, though we even out since i only needed the media hub and harness so $800ish. Still $300 for any 4c radio... hell of a deal.
Nice! I definitely wanted a nav unit but the price was too good to pass up

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I thought i did good with my $650 uaq find, though we even out since i only needed the media hub and harness so $800ish. Still $300 for any 4c radio... hell of a deal.

You did great at $650. I've been kicking around upgrading mine but the used UAQs seem to be ~$1100+ from what I am finding at the moment.

MikeSumthin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd def try to get a deal on an OEM 8.4 over any aftermarket radio just to retain all the factory functions and have a cleaner look overall. Most aftermarket radios just look so trashy.

The Phoenix tesla radio looked like a good deal, until you want to use Sirius XM...

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
V

VR Nicastro

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoDiesel
I'd def try to get a deal on an OEM 8.4 over any aftermarket radio just to retain all the factory functions and have a cleaner look overall. Most aftermarket radios just look so trashy.
The
The Phoenix tesla radio looked like a good deal, until you want to use Sirius XM...

I used my XM app with CarPlay on my 12.1 Phoenix radio. I just hated the Android OS!
I am sure it plays better with an Android device instead of an iPhone.
I have my complete Phoenix head unit for sale but I need 50 posts before I can use the classified section to post it.

knightjp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to resurrect an old thread. I'm at the crossroad right now. It just seems that either option will have my OCD going crazy. I want to get a unit that will allow me to use Apple CarPlay. Honestly, I'm not a huge android fan, however my friend has one of those Android head units in his X Terra it seems to work really well. The one thing that doesn't sit well with me is that fact that if a car door is open, it shows a generic car instead of a Ram. I would like it to show a Ram. It's those little things, that I know can be changed and done with a little work.
I've seen the installs of the 2018 factory Head unit and the install of the center media hub and they don't look great. I'm guessing I will have to splash out for a console insert in order to get it to fit just right. Reading up also, it kind of seems that some functions won't work unless you install more adapters and units.

Both solutions can be done really well if you get the right parts and with a little extra effort.
I was even considering a 3rd option of using an iPad. The good thing about the iPad option is that you can undock it and walk away with it and you can replace it with a newer iPad when it gets too old.

Then I came across this..

https://autotecpro.com/product/dodg...a-touch-screen-android-navigation-gps-system/

I thought only Phoenix and Linkswell only had these units. The interesting thing is that these guys are getting good reviews.
I'm puzzled though.. On Phoenix’ website, for Apple CarPlay you need to buy a separate adapter for 170 - 270USD. The very same unit and these guys linked above say it comes with Apple Carplay built in.
So what is the deal there? Is this the same unit? Do I really need the adapter for CarPlay? Or is it really built in..

Sailor K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So where are the reviews of this unit? I am an android guy and like the specs and price of this unit a lot. Has anyone installed this exact unit? Its hot in Florida. How do these hold up in the heat? Most electronics will auto shut off after being parked an hour in Florida. Ram 2019 Classic....

Last edited:

Sailor K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm also in Florida and asked some people and they had no problems with the 12.1" display. People in Texas and other hot places. BTW, I mounted a regulat 10" android tablet in my truck to be a larger nav station and it overheated every time I parked it. So it was a waste. And the mount was not very good. I'm an android guy and had a similar question as to whether the android auto required a wired connection, or could it attach via bluetooth. But the autotecpro guys seem to be another player with Phoenix and linkswell. I believe (can't guarantee) that the hardware is the same out of the same Chinese factory for the 3 outfits. The difference is customer service, which seems lacking across the board.... Autotecpro may be slightly better, just because they are newer.

Last edited: