At my wits' end with this TICK!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Itsaraam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Sept '20 one of my lifters failed and ate the cam shaft. I replaced the cam shaft and all 16 lifters. I also replaced the exhaust manifold gaskets and studs. Since then the truck still has ticked.

Have thus far put over 15k miles on the rebuild. I have checked the oil pressure at 9k miles and it is fine (Still ticking mind you). I played around with a super chips tuner at about 13k miles on the rebuild. I did not like the way it shifted the transmission, so I set the trans to stock, put the 87 Oct Performance tune on it and deactivated the MSD.

Last night I got off, the off ramp and floored it on the highway. It would not shift out of 2nd, just stayed there at red line. I quickly let off the throttle and stabbed it again and it shifted into third. Right after cruising along I hear an even louder tick, than the typical tick my engine produces. I get home and pull out the tuner and load the stock tune on it. Take the truck around the block and try to replicate the problem. Again floor it, it will not shift, and produces a loud tick from the passenger side cylinder bank. Park the truck for the night. Come out the next morning let the truck warm up and attempt to replicate the problem. It does the same thing. I crawled under the truck and shook the manifolds to see if a bolt was loose and they did not shake. Reset the TPS by key on, engine off, throttle to the floor for 10 sec. This did nothing and I still have the same problem.

I do no know what to do. It sounds horrible. The signs point to lifter failure again, but it just seems too low of mileage.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Im sorry to hear this. What oil are you running and what filter? Lets start there.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
What’s fine mean? Numbers at idle , then running at speed on highway?

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You are not the first guy with new lifters to have tick after, it is hit and miss even when you changed those. Read these threads and view poll results. You can try lubegard with current oil, just dump 10 ounces in. Then when you change oil consider redline 5w30 and a RP filter, the filter matters as well. These lubrication strategies have a high success rate on ram forum, or else I wouldnt be recommending them.

Redline 5w30

lubegard biotech

OP
OP
I

Itsaraam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Im sorry to hear this. What oil are you running and what filter? Lets start there.

Used conventional for a 500 mile break in, then 1000, then another 2000 break in. Redline for 6000 and then currently on Mobil 1 for at 4000 miles.

OP
OP
I

Itsaraam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What’s fine mean? Numbers at idle , then running at speed on highway?

I do not remember the numbers off of my head, but they were in spec per the service manual. It do not have pressure readings on the highway, because I was using a diagnostic gauge under the engine bay.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Rule out exhaust bolts, if not it may be one of those engines that tick and nothing you can do about it. If you had a builder do the work have them take a look. I would run a used oil analysis just to see how bad it is. redline 5w30?

OP
OP
I

Itsaraam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pulled the fender liner off this morning and found one exhaust manifold bolt loose. Pulled it out, inspected it (looked good), and put it back in. Truck still ticks loud.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pulled the fender liner off this morning and found one exhaust manifold bolt loose. Pulled it out, inspected it (looked good), and put it back in. Truck still ticks loud.

Post a video of the noise so we can tell what it is my new lifters tick no matter what you will never have a 100% silent hemi.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Used conventional for a 500 mile break in, then 1000, then another 2000 break in. Redline for 6000 and then currently on Mobil 1 for at 4000 miles.

There is no break-in required for a roller cam,that only applies to a flat tappet cam.You might of wiped a cam lobe by using conventional oil.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There is no break-in required for a roller cam,that only applies to a flat tappet cam.You might of wiped a cam lobe by using conventional oil.
I agree here. Also Mobil 1 might also be the problem. Post a video if you can so maybe we can help.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Transmissions can make weird ticking noises too.
It sounds like you have heard the lifter tick the noise is only at the top of the engine. Rod bearing tick can be hard at the top side and the oil pan. Grab any sort of pipe you can lay under running truck after you know it's not gonna roll away. Listen trough transmission and engine oil pans bell housing while your helper gently operates the gas pedal.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
First thing I would do is step up to 89 octane fuel, preferably from a different gas station. Next I would change out the M1 oil. My 11 sport didn’t like M1 oil. Sounded like I forgot to put the new oil in. If no change I would be talking to whoever rebuilt the engine.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357