Attaching side steps-hardware

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brian42

Military
Reaction score
Steps came w/o hardware for attaching. Plus bolts are painted on the truck.
The only mounting hardware you should need are the nuts. I'm not sure what size they are and I don't have my truck anymore so can't check but they are nothing special. You should be able to pick them up at any supply store (Home Depot, Lowes, True Value, etc.).

Depending on the steps and the nuts, you get you can throw a washer in there too to distribute some of the stress on the mount. I considered that but was happy enough with the nuts (and I was already under the truck and didn't want to take the time to go get washers).

As for the painted bolts you can wire brush them and clean them off with some spirits (e.g. paint remover) or just run the nut down and back to clean the threads.

I am usually very OCD about things like this but running the nut down the bolt and back worked well enough for me.

make sure you clean the mating surface where the step mount will mate with the truck. I found some small spots that needed to be "flattened" (removed some small burrs) and cleaned (dirt/muck) so that the mount will flat against the truck.