audio controls stopped working after install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

integr8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
I installed a 2020 model 8.4 radio with apple carplay in my 2018 Express and now the steering wheel audio controls have stopped
working...Are they not compatable or something else I need to buy to get them working again?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome to the funky world of Ram, Stelantis, FCA, Chrysler, Fiat infotainment systems. The infotainment systems in our trucks are somewhat independent of the CANBUS system but not completely. As messed up as that sounds the 2020 radio will work in a 2018. I’ll assume your Express had a very basic radio? The 8.4 radio is capable of soft touch controls for the climate control system, trailer brake controls, lighting, comfort and convenience features, etc. It probably needs to be enabled in the BCM for the 8.4 radio to work with the steering wheel controls. Any chance you have AlfaOBD or know someone who has it? You can use AlfaOBD to enable features in the BCM.

OP
OP
integr8er

integr8er

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
It actually had an 8.4 in it, I just upgraded to Apple carplay. All the audio controls worked fine with the old one.
Would it still need to be programmed?
I ran the manufactures part number and it says its out of a 2021

Last edited:

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m stumped. If it had a 8.4 with steering wheel controls then a new 8.4 should work like the old one. It’s a 2019 and didn’t have car play already in it with an 8.4? Car play/android auto came out in 2018 for Ram trucks.