Audio Tuning for Dummies - Post your knowledge here, please!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just spent another hour doing this:

I mounted my phone to the headrest and turned on pink noise and rta.

I curled up (doors closed) under my dash to be able access the lcq and see the phone at the same time.

So I made everything go flat (or whatever it's called), and then added what I wanted to it. I just turned dials and kept looking at the rta... Then I would go back and forth between music and pink noise until it sounded good. Actually, this is the best it's ever sounded!

After a frusterating 2 hours earlier, I was determined NOT to let this damn tuning get the better of me for a day! :boxing:

It was supposed to save 2 screens, but it didn't. This screen shot is from when Daft Punk was playing, not the pink noise.

Attachments

• RtaGraphmusic.jpg
    RtaGraphmusic.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 18

BradKnob

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I curled up (doors closed) under my dash to be able access the lcq and see the phone

This made me lol. What are you, a 9 yr old girl?

Anyway, music is so dynamic and it varies, it's hard to get a real good reading from it. But that graph looks a lot better. Like we said earlier, the rta will help find major issues and get u in the ball park. Then you will just have to tweak to your liking.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This made me lol. What are you, a 9 yr old girl?

Anyway, music is so dynamic and it varies, it's hard to get a real good reading from it. But that graph looks a lot better. Like we said earlier, the rta will help find major issues and get u in the ball park. Then you will just have to tweak to your liking.

Lol! Actually, I am a 6' 1" 39 year old guy! It was sheer determination that helped me fold myself up in my rcsb... :roflsquared:

Well, I did most of the tuning with the pink noise, and the readings I was getting were much closer to one you posted. Somehow I didn't save one.

Good stuff now here cones more tweaking lol.

I figured it never ends... :) I want to be able to grow into a DSP, SI subs, and, and , and, lol!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I can't wait to see the "Holy F***!" moments when you keep adding to your system or tweak something the just completely changes its sound.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Btw, I ordered this.

I realized yesterday that I should be using the LCQ to control the bass level on-the-fly, rather than the amp's bass volume. Right?

Attachments

• audiocontrolACR-2_0.jpg
    audiocontrolACR-2_0.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 17

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I personally would use the amps as it is easier to keep the signal from clipping. Now Clipping I didn't address this earlier, it is when the signal you get from you source unit or anything that can modify the signal down stream of the headunit send a DC signal instead of an AC signal. Here is a good little read of what a ton of power can do and a clipped signal can do, from crutchfield.
Why Subwoofers Blow: Slam, Bang, Pop, and Sizzle

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally would use the amps as it is easier to keep the signal from clipping. Now Clipping I didn't address this earlier, it is when the signal you get from you source unit or anything that can modify the signal down stream of the headunit send a DC signal instead of an AC signal. Here is a good little read of what a ton of power can do and a clipped signal can do, from crutchfield.
Why Subwoofers Blow: Slam, Bang, Pop, and Sizzle

Cool thanks bro, interesting read... Iam proud to say that I understood more than half of it, lol!

The issue I have with the amps control, is that it doesn't work much. It works mildly between 1/4 and 1/2 turn, but after that it has no effect on the subs volume...
It almost seems like something (the lcq?) doesn't want it to work. Even if I play music at really low volume it will not make the subs any louder than 1/2 volume, if ikeep turningover 1/2 it doesn't change the level.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't wait to see the "Holy F***!" moments when you keep adding to your system or tweak something the just completely changes its sound.

I am totally starting to understand you guys obsession with this stuff!

Most people listen to a song because they enjoy the song, others listen to a song not for the song itself, but more for how awesome the song sounds on our system!

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Ok so the amp knob atenuates what the amp can put out, the LQC is probably limiting what it can put out at this point depending on where gains are set on both peices of equipment. Now it might be time to have your gains set either proffesionally or get an Oscope or Digital multimeter and learn to do them yourself. It can get pretty techinical so if you find a shop that will show you what they are doing to set them that will help out a ton.
You could also get a SMD DD-1 like I have and use that to find your max clean signal and adjust your gains down from there. Actually this is probably the easiest and quickest method. With getting into tinkering you will be adjusting things a lot so the more time you can cut out the better.
Yeah the addiction is real, wait till you get everything set and listen to music you used to love and then it sounds like crap because the recording is so awful. That'll **** ya off quick lol.

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok so the amp knob atenuates what the amp can put out, the LQC is probably limiting what it can put out at this point depending on where gains are set on both peices of equipment. Now it might be time to have your gains set either proffesionally or get an Oscope or Digital multimeter and learn to do them yourself. It can get pretty techinical so if you find a shop that will show you what they are doing to set them that will help out a ton.
You could also get a SMD DD-1 like I have and use that to find your max clean signal and adjust your gains down from there. Actually this is probably the easiest and quickest method. With getting into tinkering you will be adjusting things a lot so the more time you can cut out the better.
Yeah the addiction is real, wait till you get everything set and listen to music you used to love and then it sounds like crap because the recording is so awful. That'll **** ya off quick lol.

Is that why I don't like how anything sounds? Lol. I need some new cds.

I'm.going to get mine tuna (haha got to love auto spell check, I meant 'tuned') professionally. Good idea to ask if I can watch them. Want to do it myself but I don't want to guess and blow something. I just want to know that it's outputting at its full potential.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I am already there, some of the serius/xm stations I listen to sounded better when I had lessor equipment!

Ok, so I was reading about the SMD DD-1. Am I gonna have to unplug the wiring much to use it?
Do I use it to adjust the amps and the LCQ, or one or the other?

David - You could get this mic and an extension cable and have the phone under the dash with you. This may make it a bit easier and the mic may be able to take more accurate measurements as well.

Amazon.com: Dayton Audio iMM-6 Calibrated Measurement Microphone for iPhone, iPad Tablet and Android: Musical Instruments

That is a great idea thanks for the link.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Here is the thing a lot of shops do it by ear which is fine but to me professionals need to get a DMM or oscilliscope out and set them exactly then fine tune with ears from there. Thats my take on it.
Music is fun never done tuning due to some pretty crappy recordings lol.

Etroze86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am already there, some of the serius/xm stations I listen to sounded better when I had lessor equipment!

Ok, so I was reading about the SMD DD-1. Am I gonna have to unplug the wiring much to use it?
Do I use it to adjust the amps and the LCQ, or one or the other?

You do unplug speaker wires to use it but get some painters tape and label where the speakers came from and it will keep you straight when you go to put them back in.
The way you use it is to find max clean output of the head unit you hook it up to your sub amp and play the 40hz test tone. Set your LCQ to full range and gain all the way down. Then turn volume up till your red light comes on and boom back it down a click or two and you have where you source puts out clean signal. Now every piece of equipment that has adjustable gains on it is basically the same except you will be using the gains like you would the volume knob.
Hope this makes sense.

OP
OP
DavidRam

DavidRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You do unplug speaker wires to use it but get some painters tape and label where the speakers came from and it will keep you straight when you go to put them back in.
The way you use it is to find max clean output of the head unit you hook it up to your sub amp and play the 40hz test tone. Set your LCQ to full range and gain all the way down. Then turn volume up till your red light comes on and boom back it down a click or two and you have where you source puts out clean signal. Now every piece of equipment that has adjustable gains on it is basically the same except you will be using the gains like you would the volume knob.
Hope this makes sense.

Yes, it makes great sense, thanks. I'm gonna order one.

ramdude916

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks. I'm going to try it was well and buy myself a $150 damn with scoping capability :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk