Automatic Running Boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChesterJack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Good day folks, I have a 2021 2500 Cummins and my running boards have begun to malfunction periodically. I am getting a message about an obstruction that is causing them to not lower or to stay down but inspections that I have completed shows nothing. Anyone have this issue and what was done about it? I am still under factory warranty.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You guys use salt in NH, right? On the roads I mean?

I'll bet it's getting rusty inside the bearings/bushings and they're binding.

OP
OP
C

ChesterJack

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Oh for sure they put straight salt down on these roads depending on the storm conditions. Your suggestion makes sense and I will take a closer look. THANKS

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
We use a lot of salt here too. On my 2021 2500 with factory power Boards, when I take the pickup to the wand wash, I hit the deploy running board button. Wash the boards and the hinges real well, then spray on Silicone Lube to the hinges. This keeps them working very well. If you are still on warranty and simple wash and lube doesn't fix your issue, I would take it in to the dealer.

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Get some chain lube or lithium spray grease onto the pivot points of the running boards. Especially the ones that are under the cab at the motors. Had the same issues with the driver's side running board on mine stopping and going back down because of it getting froze up....