Autopark while backing (too fast)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was backing up my driveway today when I got home. Nothing around me, no issues. Then all of a sudden, bam! I was like, what did I hit? I turn forward to put in park to get out, and I notice on the dash, autopark enabled, backing too fast. So, my question is, is this supposed to do this? I never had this issue before, I didn't think I was backing any faster than normal, but why, why, would it throw itself into park if I was backing too fast?

I have a 17 RCSB with the 3.6.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well this should be interesting....what if your rear wheels start to slip? Does 4WD kick in or does the truck just park itself?

OP
OP
Neil E

Neil E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
BTW, I did have my seat belt on, and door closed. And the rear slip is an interesting question. Mine is RWD, but it would stink if you do have spin and it shifts into park.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It would more than stink....the 44-44 xfer case requires slip in the rear before it engages the front wheels to drive. So they could all end up fighting to see who wins. I never had a problem last year, but Im almost 100% convinced the dealer somehow enabled AutoPark on my truck (I think I was one of the 2017s that had it installed but not yet enabled) and I havent spun the rears in reverse since then.

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
Man thats some BS for sure, if you were going fast enough and it did that its going to break something.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Sounds like the autopark feature is malfunctioning, I see a trip to the dealer in your future......

Last edited:

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
So is this part of the campaign update? Would this be applied to any 8-Speed or just certain years?

I have a long driveway that I back up, it would be very annoying to have to creep up it in my 2014. I'm also not a fan of my Truck making decisions for me on that level...

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Amos

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a long driveway that I back up and I back up very fast compared to most people I would say. Never had this happen. It does beep at me saying that I'm backing too fast for the sensors or something to that effect. I also have a 2017 and I have had autopark since it was new. I'd let the dealer check it out.

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I'm curious about this as well. It already irritates me that the truck "parks" it's self when I open the door and take my foot off the brake. Is this something the dealer would turn off if asked to do so?

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Probably not. They issued this to limit their liability.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'm curious about this as well. It already irritates me that the truck "parks" it's self when I open the door and take my foot off the brake. Is this something the dealer would turn off if asked to do so?
No. Autopark can’t be disabled.

Never bothers me. I’ve never needed to move the truck with the door open.

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
Probably not. They issued this to limit their liability.
So then my question is, why is the "autopark" a thing now when since the beginning of automobiles it wasn't? Why the change? I would understand if there was a change in the way vehicles worked but since people started driving cars, they would roll if you didn't put them in park/gear before getting out. That's not liability of the company, that's neglect of the driver.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
No. Autopark can’t be disabled.

Never bothers me. I’ve never needed to move the truck with the door open.
If you need to just buckle the seatbelt before you sit down then sit on it. Autopark won't work in the belt is buckled.

BruceMorgan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So then my question is, why is the "autopark" a thing now when since the beginning of automobiles it wasn't? Why the change? I would understand if there was a change in the way vehicles worked but since people started driving cars, they would roll if you didn't put them in park/gear before getting out. That's not liability of the company, that's neglect of the driver.
Lane assist. Auto braking and auto distance cruise control. Back up sensors and cameras.

Things evolve.

Kernal Clink

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L Pentastar
I know I hijacked the thread, I'm sorry. What happens if someone opens the door going down the road at 55mph?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
What’s changed is the behavior of the operators of the vehicles. People like to blame the technology. In this case, Ram has changed the way the transmission is shifted traditionally to a rotary shifter. People have been getting out of there vehicles without putting them in park and getting pinned by the vehicle. The easy thing to do would be to blame the “stupid rotary shifter”. BUT, since the beginning of transmissions, SOME KIND OF ACTION needs to be performed by the operator in order to put the vehicle into gear or into park, whether the shifter is on the column, in the center console, a manual stick, OR A ROTARY DIAL. So, for someone to pull into their driveway, bring the vehicle to a stop, and just get out without putting it in park would be a behavioral issue. Since FCA can’t change the behavior of the drivers of it’s vehicles, they install auto park as a safeguard to this behavior. This prevents the drivers from being injured by their own stupidity, and more importantly, somebody else that could be injured from the truck rolling. A byproduct of this safety feature just so happened to rear the ugly head of another improper driving habit, which is people that back their vehicles up with the door open, seatbelt unbuckled, and foot off the brake.