Aux Switch Location Suggestions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought the switches from OTRATTW. Check their site for pricing on the switches you'd want. I had 3 of them installed in the panel above the parking brake release, and 2 installed in the knee panel below the steering wheel. They're Contura V switches; AEV recommends Contura II and I can see why: the V switches are a bit wider and rub on the framework of the panel. It's a tight fit but all switches work fine, just a bit tight is all. The switch bodies for Contura 2/5 are the same, it's just the rocker that's different.

The switches trigger a relay panel I bought a couple years ago, one of the waterproof Bussman boxes. Here's a link on how to make one yourself if you're so inclined: http://www.bodenzord.com/archives/473. The switches are rated for 15a or so, but I don't want that much current coming inside the cab so I kept the wiring simpler and only used relay triggers.

As far as wiring, AEV recommends quick disconnects for the switch wiring and I 1000% agree with this. IF you don't put a quick disconnect up at the panel, you'll have to disconnect each switch to remove your dash bezel. I used some two 8-pin EPS computer cable extensions and spliced my switch wiring to that. Here's a cheap cable on Amazon as an example: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com...&qid=1515604467&sr=8-4&keywords=eps+extension

Can go crazy with other colors too if you wanted: https://www.amazon.com/BitFenix-Alc...qid=1515604467&sr=8-16&keywords=eps+extension

All in all, the process was fairly simple. I just had to extend the wiring from my existing switch locations to the new panel. I spent a couple hours in the house making the new wiring harness, and spent about an hour in the cab running the new harness and making the connections. The physical panel install took all of 5-10 minutes. AEV's instructions are good, but I've also removed my dash bezel a few times doing the RA4 swap and such.

I really like how you wired this up, thanks for all the links.

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Switch plate is a combo of a two-switch holder from OTTRATTW, and the little curved black triangle on top is cut from a black plastic notebook cover and hot-glued to the back of the switch holder. The whole assembly then just press-fits into the cubby. Other than the invisible hole in the very back of the cubby to run wire, there's no other modification/cutting on the truck itself.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
very clean mod. Nice work

sbarron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Thanks. I've since modified it with DPDT switches. With a little creative wiring, I can control 5 different light sets with only 2 switches.

shadowhawk

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black metallic 2016 Sport- born 05/2016
Engine
hemi 5.7 with I2 tune
Really clever

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine