Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
LRA does both aux and replacement tanks. Though I'm guessing the PW is space constrained in the OE spot. Probably could get total to 36-40 gallons, but wouldn't be worth the effort for the nominal gain. And since it sounds like @UTAHPWRWGN is working with them, he's got the inside scoop on the planned solution.

https://longrangeamerica.com/shop-tanks/

Just going off what I was told by LRA in my conversations regarding the PW plan. I'm not savy enough to know what the constraints are on the PW vs the diesel 2500's which have multiple 50 ish gallon replacement tank options available in the market. Typically it has to do with evap system / carb compliancy issues when comparing diesel to petrol.

I will say that once i went from 24 to 64 gallons on the LC it was a total game changer. Trips that used to have me fretting over range were no longer a thing. I did a White Rim trip solo back in 2016 where I broke one of two filler nozzles on my jerry cans and it stressed me out so badly I cut the trip short a night as I wasn't sure I would have range to get in and out of Taylor Canyon where my last campsite reservation was if I had another nozzle issue. With the LRA I try to keep topping my primary tank off all day so that if I did have a pump problem it happens with 3/4 of a tank. Also, there is a drain at the bottom of the LRA so one could manually transfer fuel if forced to. Road trips are silly now. I typically have more fuel on board than miles I'm willing to drive in a day if I'm not towing.

And for the record, my affiliation with LRA is as a customer only. I reached out to them simply because I wanted a tank for this new rig and they happened to be in the planning phase for the product. I have no skin in it other than as a customer willing to donate my rig for the development of the product.

Last edited:

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Ended up going with a RDS 71789 Rectagular Transfer 51 gallon + combo tool box.

i-f3qsbp7-M.jpg

Bought it on Amazon. Just like all of the reviews, the packaging is crap and the tank will arrive with some damage. The bends on the lid can be massaged to shape, the crack will make me go use my spool gun and weld it up.

i-XDQTv4z-M.jpg

i-jQbtZsM-M.jpg

i-cGfGvzR-M.jpg

Since you legally can't gravity feed it, I'll have to poke around with how to top siphon and pump it, that won't be too difficult. The goofy part will be tapping into the fuel system. The soft hose at the bottom of the filler neck looks to be tapered, so messing with it there will probably be more pain than it is worth. The gas tank pipe is steel, so welding in a couple of bungs shouldn't be that big of a deal. I can get a used one here, or for the same money, just start with a new one. Looking at doing one connection for the fuel, one for the tank vent. Aux pump set up will be a normally closed solenoid valve leading to a low pressure pump under the bed sidewall.

Still thinking about having another pump on it so I can fuel the dirt bikes from it as well.

56PW17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ended up going with a RDS 71789 Rectagular Transfer 51 gallon + combo tool box.

i-f3qsbp7-M.jpg

Bought it on Amazon. Just like all of the reviews, the packaging is crap and the tank will arrive with some damage. The bends on the lid can be massaged to shape, the crack will make me go use my spool gun and weld it up.

i-XDQTv4z-M.jpg

i-jQbtZsM-M.jpg

i-cGfGvzR-M.jpg

Since you legally can't gravity feed it, I'll have to poke around with how to top siphon and pump it, that won't be too difficult. The goofy part will be tapping into the fuel system. The soft hose at the bottom of the filler neck looks to be tapered, so messing with it there will probably be more pain than it is worth. The gas tank pipe is steel, so welding in a couple of bungs shouldn't be that big of a deal. I can get a used one here, or for the same money, just start with a new one. Looking at doing one connection for the fuel, one for the tank vent. Aux pump set up will be a normally closed solenoid valve leading to a low pressure pump under the bed sidewall.

Still thinking about having another pump on it so I can fuel the dirt bikes from it as well.
I bought a 18 diesel 3500 that was used as a distance hauler and it had a 98 gallon transfer flow tank on the chassis that dumped diesel into the filler neck just below the filler cap. Maybe look there as a possible connection point? Sure the diesel and gas systems differ but not sure how this would or would work on a gasser. Food for thought.

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I bought a 18 diesel 3500 that was used as a distance hauler and it had a 98 gallon transfer flow tank on the chassis that dumped diesel into the filler neck just below the filler cap. Maybe look there as a possible connection point? Sure the diesel and gas systems differ but not sure how this would or would work on a gasser. Food for thought.

Need to go lower than that, as I have to pump it and only hose connection in the gas system is almost right at the tank.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I installed my tank. I ended up duplicating what this guy did in this thread.

The gravity feed legality issues seem to apply directly to commercial vehicles. I can see the issue if you overflow the gasoline tank and get it to a hot exhaust and ignite it.

I did put a union at the ball valve and will work on a timed pump transfer. Trying to find a flow meter that is rated for gasoline has been unfruitful. I would like to be able to put a flow meter inline and hook an in-cab LED to it so I have something that tells me that I am flowing gasoline.

Taking a drill bit and a hole saw to spots in your truck bed is a bit nerve wracking. Since I want to keep doing off road stuff with my PW, I think the PITA springs need to be replaced with some other sort of damper system.

I'll get some pics tomorrow.

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Here's how it looks:

i-86gRXmV-L.jpg

The plumbing from the tank and vent:

i-pCQLKkS-L.jpg

The plumbing into the filler tube and vent tube:

i-fZFL4jW-L.jpg

Yes, I know I need to add some grommets around the holes for abrasion protection of the gas and vent lines. I am leaning toward cutting a bigger hole for the gas line.

The 3/8" fuel line will fill the main tank in about 25 minutes from when the computer said I had 35 miles to go. It is listed as a 51 gallon tank from RDS, I put 46 in it at Costco before the pump wouldn't fill it any further.

Still need to add an external pump to fill up the motorcycles from the transfer tank. Looking at the GPI M-150S from Amazon, as it is the one RDS puts on the tanks. It also appears to have a lower profile mounting for it, along with the pump discharge is out the side versus straight up (making it stick up above the level of the bed).

OP
OP
danoday

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Tractor Supply Store online, they are all over the place here in AL. They have a ton of fueling, storage and pumping parts

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
Here's how it looks:

i-86gRXmV-L.jpg

The plumbing from the tank and vent:

i-pCQLKkS-L.jpg

The plumbing into the filler tube and vent tube:

i-fZFL4jW-L.jpg

Yes, I know I need to add some grommets around the holes for abrasion protection of the gas and vent lines. I am leaning toward cutting a bigger hole for the gas line.

The 3/8" fuel line will fill the main tank in about 25 minutes from when the computer said I had 35 miles to go. It is listed as a 51 gallon tank from RDS, I put 46 in it at Costco before the pump wouldn't fill it any further.

Still need to add an external pump to fill up the motorcycles from the transfer tank. Looking at the GPI M-150S from Amazon, as it is the one RDS puts on the tanks. It also appears to have a lower profile mounting for it, along with the pump discharge is out the side versus straight up (making it stick up above the level of the bed).
Wow!! That was a great build. You can go 1000 miles on a tank(s)
Does it bolt down to the frame like the bed does?

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Wow!! That was a great build. You can go 1000 miles on a tank(s)
Does it bolt down to the frame like the bed does?

It bolts through the bed. The RDS tank has 3 tabs that you drill your own holes through. They bolt down with 1/4-20 bolts, a spring, and a lock nut. I'm thinking that I want to use a urethane pad instead of the springs.

I will say that you do notice the weight in the back when it is full!

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
That is a great tank! I need it out here, but I really need the use of my entire bed space to carrry a full load of supplies much more. I wouldn't be able to carry a dozen or more 12 foot long by 6" diameter wood fence posts with the tailgate down or a full 60 bag hand piled load of wood pellets.

One thing I am promising myself not to do is to overfill my tank by filling it to the brim so I do not damage the Emissions (charcoal cannister). We don't have any vapor recovery gasoline pumps out here and so its quite easy to top off and I've been doing that for decades. I could see myself doing that much easier with a transfer tank. I'll stick with my seven or eight 5 gallon gasoline containers. Usually I carry two of them along when towing.

My nearest mid-grade gas station on the highway is 38 miles (nearly a 2 hour round trip) away going south climbing 5,000 feet up and over a 11,000 foot summit or 21 miles going north (1 hour round trip).

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That is a great tank! I need it out here, but I really need the use of my entire bed space to carrry a full load of supplies much more. I wouldn't be able to carry a dozen or more 12 foot long by 6" diameter wood fence posts with the tailgate down or a full 60 bag hand piled load of wood pellets.

One thing I am promising myself not to do is to overfill my tank by filling it to the brim so I do not damage the Emissions (charcoal cannister). We don't have any vapor recovery gasoline pumps out here and so its quite easy to top off and I've been doing that for decades. I could see myself doing that much easier with a transfer tank. I'll stick with my seven or eight 5 gallon gasoline containers. Usually I carry two of them along when towing.

My nearest mid-grade gas station on the highway is 38 miles (nearly a 2 hour round trip) away going south climbing 5,000 feet up and over a 11,000 foot summit or 21 miles going north (1 hour round trip).

Sounds like you need a trailer! I would think that one could also mount it lengthwise in the bed, with a few added attachment tabs and maximize usable bed space.

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Sounds like you need a trailer! I would think that one could also mount it lengthwise in the bed, with a few added attachment tabs and maximize usable bed space.

Yes, my truck tows trailers more often than not. Own three different types and rent others from U-Haul when I'm needing different capabilities. Still I need and use the entire bed space. I just wish the gas tank was much larger, so that I don't care as much about running low on fuel when towing across desolate country.
uXmyQi3.jpg

Last edited:

SkeeterBait

Reaction score
The Birthplace Town of the "Jersey Devil"
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Yes, my truck tows trailers more often than not. Own three different types and rent others from U-Haul when I'm needing different capabilities. Still I need and use the entire bed space. I just wish the gas tank was much larger, so that I don't care as much about running low on fuel when towing across desolate country.
View attachment 234119

Love that Far Side cartoonist..!
There is another cartoon he did where the pilot announced turbulence ahead to the passengers and then began airbatics... hilarious

SeppW

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Having spent the last 3 years living with their 44 gallon aux tank in my 200 Series LC I can say it's worth the effort and $, for me at least. I don't really care about Fiat's warranty. My PW which is arriving on the 18th of this month might just be slated to be the test mule for LRA. #shhhh ;-)

A 50-gal tank would be super. Look forward to the end state. If it's an OEM replacement I wonder if it fits trucks with RamBox?

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's something in the works from Long Range America. It will be very similar to their current offerings. Stay tuned.

Any updates on this that you are aware of? I've got a couple grand burning a hole in my pocket in anticipation of the release....that is if it's actually in the works.

Oh, and a dual ARB compressor mount for under hood....why does no one make one for the Ram...but I digress....