Ram 5500 dual tank diesel fuel flow question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jacob302

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 22 RAM 5500 with 6.7 diesel. I observe the fuel is pulled from the 22 gallon tank and as the level drops to 75% full, it adds from the 52 gallon tank. My question is if there is continuous circulation between these two tanks and the return to the 52 gallon intermittenly stopped when level in 22 gallon tank needs to be increased, or is the flow one way as needed.

I treated my fuel with anti gel yesterday and topped both tanks off. I wanted to know if the lines between tank would also get treated immediately as would be if there was continuous flow or only as the fuel flows one way between tanks. My truck sits a lot and by the time I run it next, would have seen overnight temperatures below the cloud point of the diesel and the lines between tanks would cloud.

Not a big concern, just wanted to understand the flow paths.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Most of the time fuel flow is one-way from tank to tank. I would be surprised if it were any different.