Auxiliary Fuel Tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danoday

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Anyone running a aux tank on their PW? I'm interested in a gravity fed. I've seen plenty of vids on diesel, not much on mogas, not sure why. Just looking to extend my commuter range as I only get about 374 miles on a full tank now. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
If you don't want to read the entire thread, it boils down to this:

It can be done, but there are questions on the legality of a gravity-fed auxiliary tank for gasoline in personal use vehicles. We did confirm that for commercial vehicles, gravity-fed gasoline is a no-go.

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I finally installed two x 12 gal marine gas tanks and use a gravity ******** activated hose to resupply the PW or other.

Not too expensive. No gas smell ( even with tonneau cover ). Easy to remove if full box needed ( holds with the separator and a ratchet strap ) .

I tried a normal boat gas line but it does not work. Well, it works but you have to pump quite a lot. The normal gas outlet is blocked ( buy a a screw, a cap. Not the 20$ adapter like I did lol )

IMG_20200902_160708.jpg

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
You also have to consider the legal side of transporting dangerous goods. Almost everywhere, the law states you can only carry an extra 200L or 55 gallons of gasoline in Jerry cans/aux tank above & beyond your OEM fuel capacity. Any more than that and you are required to be certified hazardous goods license, and vehicle must display Hazmat placards

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
You also have to consider the legal side of transporting dangerous goods. Almost everywhere, the law states you can only carry an extra 200L or 55 gallons of gasoline in Jerry cans/aux tank above & beyond your OEM fuel capacity. Any more than that and you are required to be certified hazardous goods license, and vehicle must display Hazmat placards

I don't know Canadian laws, but that's what I was referring to here on the US side - DOT regs are written specifically for commercial vehicles, and state so in just about every statute. They also state that while you can't gravity feed into an intake or carb, it doesn't say it can't gravity feed into another tank, nor 'drain' into another tank, as one example of things we discussed. It got REALLY in depth.

It's good practice to follow them for personal use, but that was where we couldn't get a specific answer. Because yes, in a commercial application, over a certain amount you have to be labeled hazmat. But in a personal use application, how does it apply?

Again, it's good practice to follow DOT regs from a safety standpoint.

Trailmaker

Locked and Loaded
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
I finally installed two x 12 gal marine gas tanks and use a gravity ******** activated hose to resupply the PW or other.

Not too expensive. No gas smell ( even with tonneau cover ). Easy to remove if full box needed ( holds with the separator and a ratchet strap ) .

I tried a normal boat gas line but it does not work. Well, it works but you have to pump quite a lot. The normal gas outlet is blocked ( buy a a screw, a cap. Not the 20$ adapter like I did lol )

View attachment 223767
24 gallons almost doubled your range. Nice set up.

Flammable_Solid

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Anyone running a aux tank on their PW? I'm interested in a gravity fed. I've seen plenty of vids on diesel, not much on mogas, not sure why. Just looking to extend my commuter range as I only get about 374 miles on a full tank now. Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Gasoline evaporates, so trying to stop the siphon effect by just blocking the vent will not be effective. Wiring an electric pump to pump gas into the fuel filler tube isn't that big of a deal, as you can use the diesel parts for the plumbing.

canadiankodiak700

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.7L Pentastar
I don't know Canadian laws, but that's what I was referring to here on the US side - DOT regs are written specifically for commercial vehicles, and state so in just about every statute. They also state that while you can't gravity feed into an intake or carb, it doesn't say it can't gravity feed into another tank, nor 'drain' into another tank, as one example of things we discussed. It got REALLY in depth.

It's good practice to follow them for personal use, but that was where we couldn't get a specific answer. Because yes, in a commercial application, over a certain amount you have to be labeled hazmat. But in a personal use application, how does it apply?

Again, it's good practice to follow DOT regs from a safety standpoint.
From what I've seen on other forums over the years, it's pretty much the same rule of thumb do to speak on gasoline storage in any vehicle traveling on public roadways in the States or Canada. Personal or commercial. Limited to 55 gal or 200L . Anything more requires a hazardous goods cert. It is basically the same as carrying explosives, most states and provinces allow you to legally purchase a very small amount, for blasting a rock or stump on your property. Police must be informed of your exact route from supplier to property. Any large quantities require hazardous goods cert, formal training. Etc...

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
I carry two 5 gallon plastic gas cans in an 18 gallon commercial grade tote box. Carry firewood, tools, chains, food, 20# propane tanks, and 6 gallon water jugs in several others. Need to use the full bed space for hauling other stuff and so the totes are easy and quick to remove.

41Xpw1gl+3L._AC_SY400_.jpg

On another note living rural and towing into remote regions, I fill the PW's tank up to its brim at a gas station some 40 miles away. Just cleared a P0456 code after some 7,000 miles since the last one of which I replaced the cap. It could be that some gasoline got into the vapor cannister from my over filling or its the gas cap. Bought another brand yesterday. Stuffing a few more gallons into the tank is still worth the pain of an intermittent check engine light versus running out of fuel out in the Colorado Plateau.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 75th Aniv Build #0006
Engine
6.4 Hemi
There's something in the works from Long Range America. It will be very similar to their current offerings. Stay tuned.

I know they like to do fully integrated systems for the Toyota crowd (split filler neck, cockpit gauge and transfer switch, etc). I'd be happy with a KISS system that was just a 15-20gal tank with a hose and 12v pump that could fill the truck's tank externally. Not really crazy about hacking into to parts under warranty. It's one think to hack into a 10 year old Land Cruiser, another to do so on a $60-70k truck. I've they have a simple solution I'm all ears.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I know they like to do fully integrated systems for the Toyota crowd (split filler neck, cockpit gauge and transfer switch, etc). I'd be happy with a KISS system that was just a 15-20gal tank with a hose and 12v pump that could fill the truck's tank externally. Not really crazy about hacking into to parts under warranty. It's one think to hack into a 10 year old Land Cruiser, another to do so on a $60-70k truck. I've they have a simple solution I'm all ears.

Having spent the last 3 years living with their 44 gallon aux tank in my 200 Series LC I can say it's worth the effort and $, for me at least. I don't really care about Fiat's warranty. My PW which is arriving on the 18th of this month might just be slated to be the test mule for LRA. #shhhh ;-)

Breaker Alex

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
cleared a P0456 code after some 7,000 miles since the last one of which I replaced the cap. It could be that some gasoline got into the vapor cannister from my over filling or its the gas cap. Bought another brand yesterday. Stuffing a few more gallons into the tank is still worth the pain of an intermittent check engine light versus running out of fuel out in the Colorado Plateau.

Funny, I just got the PW to the dealer for a couple of recalls and that P0456 code.
Never filling the tank to the top top though.
They did not do a concrete thing about it because the tank was not full...

It pops from every to 4 weeks and makes me lose the remote start.
And here we need that remote start.

Good to know it was only the cap in your case.

Will keep you guys up to date on that.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Having spent the last 3 years living with their 44 gallon aux tank in my 200 Series LC I can say it's worth the effort and $, for me at least. I don't really care about Fiat's warranty. My PW which is arriving on the 18th of this month might just be slated to be the test mule for LRA. #shhhh ;-)

Not doubting the benefits, but I'm sure I'm not alone with warranty concerns. With the LRA on the 200 it's a substantial modification... vents, filler neck, transfer pumps... A large reason I'm going with a new vehicle this time is I want to move away from spending weekends wrenching (in favor of more weekends on the trial). Keeping it simple and as much OE as possible is important to me, both from a potential failure point and responsibility of repair. Seems like having a 'tank only' option (sans full integration) would be an easy, lower cost, less invasive option for those who want it.

Adventurebound

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's something in the works from Long Range America. It will be very similar to their current offerings. Stay tuned.

I'm suspecting it's a larger replacement tanks? If that's the case, who can I give my money to and how fast can they ship it to me.....

Grand Mesa

Reaction score
Funny, I just got the PW to the dealer for a couple of recalls and that P0456 code.

My tank was just a bit over half full when the check engine came on. Thanks, I really didn't figure that my overfilling was the cause due to another code would have popped up. Outside temperature was 7 degrees Fahrenheit (-14 Celsius) when it had an issue. That is its coldest start this Fall season. Figured that the cap rubber seal got harder and leaked. Everything else made of rubber becomes harder and more brittle in cold temperatures, especially below minus something Fahrenheit. Was using a Stant locking cap (Napa and O'Reilly). Switched to Autozone Duralast this time.

If I could get a larger gas tank in my PW, I really would need to think about it. Seems to do OK with my carrying of an extra 10 gallons. I installed a larger tank on a 1984 GMC 4x4 of which my family still uses in a quite remote section of Wyoming. I'm not driving my PW out to Tonopah, Nevada as much as I was in the 1980's, so it's not as much worry as when I was working about getting stranded out in nowhere with no gas.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Not doubting the benefits, but I'm sure I'm not alone with warranty concerns. With the LRA on the 200 it's a substantial modification... vents, filler neck, transfer pumps... A large reason I'm going with a new vehicle this time is I want to move away from spending weekends wrenching (in favor of more weekends on the trial). Keeping it simple and as much OE as possible is important to me, both from a potential failure point and responsibility of repair. Seems like having a 'tank only' option (sans full integration) would be an easy, lower cost, less invasive option for those who want it.

To each their own. It's actually a very simple and elegant system. Only one low pressure pump and a custom filler neck. The trick is getting the design right so the OEM evap system continues to work correctly. I use mine on 200 100% of the time, meaning since it went in 3 years ago I never run the truck without the aux tank in the mix so as to keep the fuel fresh in both tanks. Haven't so much as thrown an evap code. It's performed flawlessly. I was one of the first 3 or 4 installs for the 200 when it was released and I was nervous about it at the time. I have no such hesitation now.

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I'm suspecting it's a larger replacement tanks? If that's the case, who can I give my money to and how fast can they ship it to me.....

No, that would be much more complicated packaging as the space requires complex forming of any tank. This will be an aux tank that will take the place of the OEM spare tire.

Overlander

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

No, that would be much more complicated packaging as the space requires complex forming of any tank. This will be an aux tank that will take the place of the OEM spare tire.

LRA does both aux and replacement tanks. Though I'm guessing the PW is space constrained in the OE spot. Probably could get total to 36-40 gallons, but wouldn't be worth the effort for the nominal gain. And since it sounds like @UTAHPWRWGN is working with them, he's got the inside scoop on the planned solution.

Though a replacement tank would allow keeping of a 35" spare underneath and maybe some would be willing to invest for that retention if if only an additional 5-9 gal. After all, most users carry 2 Jerry Cans max anyway. 10 gallons is sufficient emergency supply for the US, but having more is definitely more convenient and removes the risk of needing to depart from the trail to get fuel when encountering unforeseen re-routes. My guess is to make the spend worth it most users would want at least 20 gal additional. In the 200 Series offerings they three different aux tank sizes depending on how high you want it tucked and if you want to retain the spare.

Just think: if the PW had 60-70 gallons it could cover almost 200 miles on a tank! :)

https://longrangeamerica.com/shop-tanks/

Last edited: