Axle vent extensions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
I don’t own a power wagon but expect to get a better response here than in other sections.

I’m wanting to extend my axle vent tubes above the 2-3” stubby vent tubes from the factory. Does the power wagon have longer vent tube extensions and if so where do they extend to? Pictures would be helpful and appreciated.

If they are like every other 2500, have you extended yours? If so, where did you extend and terminate the tubes? My thought is extending the front close to the top of the firewall and rear up into the bed cavity.

Thanks in advance!

LeesEvoX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4l
IIRC the PW has the same length tubes as every other 2500.

@IRSmart extended his tubes. i believe the one from the front diff he extended to the top of the fire wall like you have mentioned. The rear diff he actually routed to behind the tail light inside the bed.

Is there one for the transfer case too? i cant remember.

This is on my list of things to do also.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
I followed @IRSmart lead and extended all of my breathers there is a total of 5 (front, rear axles, transmission, transfer case and evap tube)Youll need 3/8" I.D. hose for everything(approx 25ft) but the evap line thats 5/8" I.D. (approx 6ft) also a few male to male barb fittings. I used the barbs to add onto the factory lines for the axles and the transfer case. The trans is only a 2" stub so that needs to have a full run of hose. I ran the front diff trans and transfer case along the frame and up into the engine bay, evap went into the engine bay as well. Rear diff was extended up behind the D/S tailight. The trans is tough to find its only a little nub thats right on the too of the bell housing and the evap tube on mine ran along the passenger side of the trans wrapped in a foil heat resistant covering
Heres some pics to help, first three are loactions and the last two are just how i routed everything. Mind you all of this is on a 2017 so there maybe some variance. 29883981fb5694fbac42135926bd6e3c.jpg7535ba979fa9f2efb2774e272ba0171b.jpg2769137f9c6c9759d895b40883342044.jpgce0c3dc16a21bd8409d0a6dea38201c8.jpg816a25a71beb5e05b549ad7fcf29d03b.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

IRSmart

I drink and I know things
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
My extensions basically mirror @Maligator . I ran the four breathers up to the engine bay and the rear diff up behind the driver’s tail light. I used brass barb fittings and with hose clamps to make sure nothing ever came undone. I added onto the factory tubing instead of replacing them so I could use less hose. The only one that’s a bit of a ***** is the evap line, since it’s not really a hose that you’re extending, it’s a solid plastic tube. You have to cut that tube, use a new hose clamped over the stub you leave behind to extend it (which is why it is a different diameter than the rest of the lines), and clamp onto the mushroom that you cut off to be the breather at the end. I used all the factory breathers, I didn’t purchase a kit, or use aftermarket ones. No pictures of factory locations, but there’s a really good post on power wagon registry that shows diagrams of the truck’s components with arrows showing where the breather tubes come out, that’s what I used for the transmission and transfer case. The evap is a bit more of a ***** to find, I had to follow the line all the way from the evap canister to where it ends on top of the transmission on the passenger side to find the breather mushroom.

F00D145D-FCDB-46D1-B76A-1688341AB795.jpeg 2F2FA397-867F-4F65-A9EA-81F015EFC3CE.jpeg F0211734-3BF7-48B6-BE22-AD21B493944B.jpeg

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I don’t own a power wagon but expect to get a better response here than in other sections.

I’m wanting to extend my axle vent tubes above the 2-3” stubby vent tubes from the factory. Does the power wagon have longer vent tube extensions and if so where do they extend to? Pictures would be helpful and appreciated.

If they are like every other 2500, have you extended yours? If so, where did you extend and terminate the tubes? My thought is extending the front close to the top of the firewall and rear up into the bed cavity.

Thanks in advance!
Oh and to answer one of your specific questions, the lines are the same on the regular 2500’s as they are on the PW. HOWEVER, on the 2019 and up, they stopped doing the full hose runs and just added little 3” stubby hoses with breathers on them to ALL heavy duty trucks. I haven’t seen one of the breathers up close and examined them to see if they’re the same ones used on the previous models or not. If they’re a newer, water-proof kind, then not extending them might not be the end of the world, but still a good piece of mind. If they’re the same breathers that are used before, and you plan on hitting water depths any more than a foot, then you should absolutely extend them up to the engine bay as we’ve done, unless you want your fluids looking like chocolate milk.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Geez - even getting cheap on breather lengths sure is penny-pinching on vehicles this expensive. Disappointing. I don't PW or mud bog, but still.

OP
OP
Sandevino

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Geez - even getting cheap on breather lengths sure is penny-pinching on vehicles this expensive. Disappointing. I don't PW or mud bog, but still.

Or....their over paid focus groups and lease / fleet customers said they never traverse water.

Either way I’ve got a project.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
My extensions basically mirror @Maligator . I ran the four breathers up to the engine bay and the rear diff up behind the driver’s tail light. I used brass barb fittings and with hose clamps to make sure nothing ever came undone. I added onto the factory tubing instead of replacing them so I could use less hose. The only one that’s a bit of a ***** is the evap line, since it’s not really a hose that you’re extending, it’s a solid plastic tube. You have to cut that tube, use a new hose clamped over the stub you leave behind to extend it (which is why it is a different diameter than the rest of the lines), and clamp onto the mushroom that you cut off to be the breather at the end. I used all the factory breathers, I didn’t purchase a kit, or use aftermarket ones. No pictures of factory locations, but there’s a really good post on power wagon registry that shows diagrams of the truck’s components with arrows showing where the breather tubes come out, that’s what I used for the transmission and transfer case. The evap is a bit more of a ***** to find, I had to follow the line all the way from the evap canister to where it ends on top of the transmission on the passenger side to find the breather mushroom.

View attachment 242041 View attachment 242042 View attachment 242043
Heck yeah thanks for filling in the gaps I left, so hard to remember everything. I also barely ever take pics as I go along or make videos. Id be a fking terrible "influencer"[emoji1787]

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Heck yeah thanks for filling in the gaps I left, so hard to remember everything. I also barely ever take pics as I go along or make videos. Id be a fking terrible "influencer"[emoji1787]

We make a great team, cause there’s no way I’d ever remember the size of the hoses lol

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I thought the differential vent axle tubes had 1 way valves on them
Many of the vehicles that i worked on in the past had them

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I thought the differential vent axle tubes had 1 way valves on them
Many of the vehicles that i worked on in the past had them
The new ones might, but I still wouldn’t trust them to be completely submerged for any length of time. Trust me when I tell you that a catastrophic mechanical failure isn’t something you want to experience on the trail. Go ahead and ask me how I know.

F80D9432-C35A-4458-8F51-8EC1F7A5D624.jpeg

392F346B-54BD-4902-AE51-94C5B860B256.jpeg

210CCA4F-FF09-4F25-9F3D-ADA8202D63BB.jpeg

BB57EFF2-E463-4EBE-AA4D-06B38D956687.jpeg

UTAHPWRWGN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
The new ones might, but I still wouldn’t trust them to be completely submerged for any length of time. Trust me when I tell you that a catastrophic mechanical failure isn’t something you want to experience on the trail. Go ahead and ask me how I know.

Hopefully you got a sticker out of it.

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
"Go ahead and ask me how I know."

Did you tell this story somewhere in the forum?
Not specifically. Short version is I drove too fast through deep water to try and impress something with pretty eyes sitting in my passenger seat. Water got into my intake and engine went kaboom. As soon as I got my truck back with a new engine, I did the AEV snorkel (which I sealed even better than they instruct you to) and did the breather extensions. I don’t mess around with water anymore. I don’t care to hear those sounds coming from my engine bay ever again.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9

Thanks in advance!

I have a single ARB differential vent on the firewall. It covers everything.

Maligator

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hem 5.7
Those ARB breathers only allow for 4 hook ups we have 5. Front diff, Rear Diff, Transmission, Transfer case and Evap systemv5ptxzjt3ekbyjtfahy17o47aj6au0g3ruscixtw&rid=giphy.gif

Last edited:

IRSmart

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4L Hemi
I have a single ARB differential vent on the firewall. It covers everything.
What @Maligator said. Yours doesn’t cover everything, you’re missing one, likely your evap system. And I looked at the ARB system. They’re nice, but needlessly pricey. They accomplish the same thing we did, they just cost a lot more.