B250 Transmission not shifting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bigmike1161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey guys new member here. My grandfather past away several years ago and he had a 1983 dodge b250 conversion van with the 318 carbed engine. It has 33,000 actual miles on it. My grandfather never used it and basically let it sit for about 20 years. Last time it was registered was 1995. My dad always loved it and wanted to have it running. I slowly started bringing it back to life. New carb, new brakes, battery, tune up, oil, etc, etc. its running and it’ll stop now. But cant get it to change gears. I dropped the pan, changed the filter, and topped it back off. Still no joy. My question to you guys is how does this tranny work. What tells it to shift? Can you guys lead me in the right direction? Any help is appeciated. My dad is getting older and has little to no mechanical knowledge. It would mean a lot to him if I get get the old van running and driving again. Thanks

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
have you checked the trans fluid level while the engine is running while in neutral? should shift no matter what but it is usually a matter of what rpm depending on how you got the kick down linkage adjusted.

OP
OP
B

Bigmike1161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes sir. I checked it and it comes up to the line on the dipstick

OP
OP
B

Bigmike1161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did put a new carb on it. Does the kickdown change the gears or just tell it to down shift when I give it more gas?

crazzywolfie

Reaction score
Ram Year
81 93
Engine
most people miss the part about checking it in neutral. it will shift without the kickdown but it will usually shift very early if it is not hooked up and depend on how it is adjusted it can cause it to shift very late. i got my 89 setup to shift very late since it has no 2nd gear but if you haven't messed with th linkage other than remove from 1 carb and hook up to another it shouldn't be an issue. have you tried getting it up to 35-40mph and see if it would shift?

OP
OP
B

Bigmike1161

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im gonna give that a try and get back to you. Rpms where getting pretty high. Also going to check the fluid again in neatral