Back to stock exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I installed the magnaflow 16869 cat back system and i love it. I drove to new Hampshire from new Jersey and it was never annoying and at certain rpm's sure does sound nice and i love the 5 inch tips

View attachment 196303
So those tips are Magnaflow also? They look every bit as good as the Carvens for sure!

KnurledNut

SemperFi
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started with the Carven Progressive w/ 5" tips. The drone @ 55-65 was unbearable, plus the clamps never quite sealed correctly. Switched over to a Borla XS and had it welded in proper. Kept the tips. Very nice deep growl when cold and idling. Roars when I stomp on it. Very slight drone @ 55-65 that the radio can handle.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
Same here, stock exhaust with tips sounds great to me. When I remote start it I can hear it from inside the house.
I should have listened to my inner self, I put it in the attic, posted for sale, figured why not...sold in 4 days. LOL

wished I kept it.

astrayer1990

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
So I have been researching this for months with the drone and stuff and i may have found a solution.

Look into a Heimholtz resonator tube. They are super easy to make and are common on nissan 350z exhausts. its simple to do for any exhaust shop. you basically add a tube into the exhaust that changes the resonance frequency.

patmanz28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I have the MBRP exhaust and i like the sound. Only time it really drones is low speed mds operation.

bigred90gt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
2.5 years later and I just could NOT take the 1400-1900 RPM drone anymore from the Magnaflow.
When I sold my ecoboost V6 f150 I missed the V8 noise so much-but with the 8 speed trans, the MDS , and resonators this Hemi just drones so much. People couldn't hear me on Bluetooth and my wife and kids just hated riding with me for that resonance inside. the noise and volume out back were great though.

Maybe I would have been better with the mopar cat back like the night editions came with, maybe I could have cut the resonators, chosen a different muffler etc. I DO NOT MISS IT and the truck still sounds pretty decent back to stock.

Does this mean I'm loosing touch with my youthfulness?
I did the same. I had a Mufflex DOD18 on my truck for a couple of years. It wasnt bad until I was at highway cruise speed, then it just got annoying. The Mufflex is now sitting in my garage taking up space and I went back to stock. The ram stock exhaust (and v8 challenger & charger for that matter) is the best sounding stock exhaust on any truck. Mopar has it figured out in my opinion. It sounds good, but isnt loud or obnoxious. On the cars, it sounds great, but again, isnt loud or obnoxious. You hear it, but it doesnt rattle your brain.

CincyZach

Supporting Member
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Magnaflow Cat Back and love it, no drone thankfully!! I’ve been in vehicles that have the drone, that **** is horrible! I don’t think it’s loosing touch with your youthfulness... drone sucks at any age... your just wise enough to get rid of it now :)

887DC88E-346B-46CD-B821-827215DDE1D4.jpeg

CFA61CD5-7E0A-450D-B7C0-85FE4274A221.jpeg

Rampad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
So I have been researching this for months with the drone and stuff and i may have found a solution.

Look into a Heimholtz resonator tube. They are super easy to make and are common on nissan 350z exhausts. its simple to do for any exhaust shop. you basically add a tube into the exhaust that changes the resonance frequency.

Mufflex makes kits for the drone suppression. I myself made my own j-pipe very similar to their kit. I was able to reduce the drone at certain rpms, but it wasn't enough. The range at which it controls the drone is very narrow. Ultimately, I switched from the mufflex DOD24 with the j-pipe to the corsa catback exhaust. Couldn't be happier with corsa exhaust. It's the only system that advertises "No Drone".

Last edited:

2018NightRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Has anyone tried dynamat or any sound deadener to see if that helps?

Chad777

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It’s always exciting to hear nearly 400 hp. I’m really happy I left mine stock exhaust alone. It sounds nice when I’m on it but doesn’t get annoying while towing. I think Ram got it right

silver2door

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Removed muffler and added second resonator on my 2500 hd/6.4. Nice deep sound and no drone at all. I used an inexpensive walker resonator and a short piece of pipe in place of the huge factory muffler with the restrictor valve. 4 cylinder mode is more noticeable and I keep that turned off.

gdawg55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I hear ya......drone sucks. I finally found a muffler that gives me a deep tone and decent volume out back with a very quiet cabin. On a whim I bought a Dynomax Ultra Flo 6" round muffler and it surprised me. Never had a round muffler but this thing sounds great and I don't get any drone. Not near as loud as I expected it to be.

Hoff

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I started with the Carven Progressive w/ 5" tips. The drone @ 55-65 was unbearable, plus the clamps never quite sealed correctly. Switched over to a Borla XS and had it welded in proper. Kept the tips. Very nice deep growl when cold and idling. Roars when I stomp on it. Very slight drone @ 55-65 that the radio can handle.

Glad to hear you like the Borla, as that's what I just went with. Should be here on Wednesday, and hoping to have it thrown on early next week...

Gom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I have never gotten a aftermarket exhaust. My tinnitus just goes beserk if there is any drone, downright painful.
My buddy had a sliverado with a aftermarket exhaust and there was a rpm range that just killed me.
I would love a little more volume but not willing to throw $$ away if it drones and I have to get rid of it.

blackbetty14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT/Etorque
Set gear selector to manual 8, Carven 5" tips, Boral Pro XS 19" dual 2.25" out muffler and a ZZP ultra quiet resonator in place of the stock muffler is pretty good. I'm sensitive to drone but I like the way this sounds, deep tone. If I decide to finance the truck at the end of my lease I will prob do some sound deadening in the cab floor and back wall. Dynomax ultra flow catback was a great catback but it had a 23" muffler and 2.5" tail pipes with no resonators. I had to add the ZZP ultra flow resonator to my bola muffler as cold starts and at light load in some gears I got resonance which bugged me, I can't believe how much the small resonator helped and reduced the overall tone!

EDIT: I had a 18" maggy clone and it droned so bad on my 14 that I removed it within a month or two.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can see how it could get old... My buddy did the muffler delete bolt on that they sell online. He said that he doesnt drone at all. Does anyone on here have the muffler delete that can testify to this?