Back to stock exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

beepster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Adding just the 5" tips looks great but does nothing for the sound/tone by itself....

Hemi_Don

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
360 Magnum
I put a cat back system kit on my '96 Magnum 360 with the copy cat Magnaflow muffler. I don't like a drone either so I welded all the joints, added extra HD exh hangers and wrapped it all with an inexpensive header wrap. I've been wrapping my headers on my cars for a long time, even the ceramic covered headers on my '67 Hemi, and it reduces heat to the chassis, around the spare tire and I have very little drone. Now and then somebody will kick my 3in exh tip (it's ok, it's a truck) and say "Wow, that's not going to fall off!"
My Duster headers I had to build because I didn't like any of the ones on the market. They were a bit rough looking but I wrapped them and they are a lot quieter and the engine heat is WAY down over open steel.
Have a great day !

OP
OP
K

kohersh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Few hundred miles in without the drone, regret not doing it sooner. And the people on the other end of the Bluetooth connection can hear me better also.

Ron Basile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put on the 18" total flow direct replacement night on Amazon for $130. I enjoy the way it sounds. I also have the vararam intake (to make room for a second battery) and the edge pulsar piggy back. The pulsar lets me turn off mds and adjust for larger rubber in the future. Other than that, it's basically a glorified pedal commander. With the mds off, I have very little drone.

regulator54

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT Plus, Crew Cab 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Tried the Solo Performance direct fit not long after I bought my 2016 new. Didn't last a week before I took if off and put the stock muffler back on. The drone at low RPM was ridiculous, although Solo advertises "no drone". It's been sitting in my garage ever since and no one seems to want it....cheap!

Pete Antisen

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I put Corsa Exhaust systems on all my vehicles....built in anti drone technology...works great.. Totally quiet when at cruising speed.. ...I believe I paid about $1400 for my 2019 Bighorn Corsa System

1stindoor

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
'23 2500 MegaCab
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I can see how it could get old... My buddy did the muffler delete bolt on that they sell online. He said that he doesnt drone at all. Does anyone on here have the muffler delete that can testify to this?
I have a 2500 Megacab with the 6.4 (that may be the difference), and have the Magnaflow model. Sounds great, not overly aggressive and annoying...but there is a slight drone at the lower RPMs. Usually my radio drowns it out so it doesn't bother me.

Ramtrucker12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, I just thought it was me...I also regret the change from stock to the Magnaflow in my 2012 Sport. At some point I will probably revert back to stock, damn never thought I would do that!

CYSTemrebel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7 liter
Well, I just thought it was me...I also regret the change from stock to the Magnaflow in my 2012 Sport. At some point I will probably revert back to stock, damn never thought I would do that!

Yup. I found that non OEM equipment generally can cause problems. As to exhaust my truck ordered new in 2008 had among other things a stainless steel exhaust system. It is still mint with no rust or any problems whatsoever after 12 years. When it dies and needs to be replaced I will take it to a muffler specialty shop for measurement and ordering of/purchase headers which will be custom built to fit A NEW stainless steel OEM system with dual exhaust. I did deviate from the non OEM when I had the whole front end replaced with a system with grease fittings so I do not have to worry about wear again for a long time long as I keep greasing them. I hate this "DISPOSABLE" mindset and manufacturer BS as well as the BS that costs a fortune to pass the envirowhacko Stalinists of the EPA and associated pos here in Canuckistan which MANY ignore, modify and even replace.

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
This morning I got behind something that was droning it’s *** off on beltway 8 (never could figure it out who it was) but MAN 30 miles of that crap was driving me crazy!!!

boblonben

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
2.5 years later and I just could NOT take the 1400-1900 RPM drone anymore from the Magnaflow.
When I sold my ecoboost V6 f150 I missed the V8 noise so much-but with the 8 speed trans, the MDS , and resonators this Hemi just drones so much. People couldn't hear me on Bluetooth and my wife and kids just hated riding with me for that resonance inside. the noise and volume out back were great though.

Maybe I would have been better with the mopar cat back like the night editions came with, maybe I could have cut the resonators, chosen a different muffler etc. I DO NOT MISS IT and the truck still sounds pretty decent back to stock.

Does this mean I'm loosing touch with my youthfulness?
go to a flowmaster 40. no drone, great sound, easy to live with...and...inexpensive to put on. good luckj.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You sure everything is tight? Different vehicle, but I upgraded my Charger SXT single exhaust to a Charger RT dual exhaust. It was loud and droney. Wife wouldn't ride in it anymore. I took it to a different mechanic who said the first installer used the wrong clamp size. So it wasn't installed properly. He fixed that and now the drone is gone. It sounds as I would have expected.

Outdoors76

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No, I'm similar as you. My 2015 had stock, just added Moes 5" tips, sounded great.

Then bought a 392 Charger, and the cold starts were a dream!

So when I got truck, thought I needed exhaust again. If I had to do over, Id leave alone and add tips again.

I feel im im the same boat i did carven and drone was so bad i ielt like my ears were gonna implode. I put back to stock...

So will the moes tips change the sound??? I didnt didnt tips would change sound only looks. If thats the case maybe i can add just tips. Though now my tires are more noisy than drone lmao

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
I feel im im the same boat i did carven and drone was so bad i ielt like my ears were gonna implode. I put back to stock...

So will the moes tips change the sound??? I didnt didnt tips would change sound only looks. If thats the case maybe i can add just tips. Though now my tires are more noisy than drone lmao
If your stock, yes I felt Moes tips, or equivalent 5" tip gave a small rumble. No drone at all.

Wished I kept my OEM exhaust

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I remember my youth..... I had a loud 1969 Mach1 in high school. Larry, who drove a Torino GT, with a 428 SCJ engine in it, was by far the fastest car in school! Here's the kicker..... it was quiet! YES! Quiet! I asked Larry about it one day and he had me peek under the car. Much to my surprise were 2 very long truck mufflers. Go figure!