Back-up vehicle with door open.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

670hoth

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone know if its possible to disable the feature that does not allow the vehicle to move when the door is open using Alphaobd? I like to open my door and look to the rear sometimes when I am backing up with a trailer on. I searched but to my surprise could not find anything on this. Thanks

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Whether it’s buckled behind you or you actually buckle in. If the truck registers you as buckled it will not engage auto park.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 20 and I can back up with my door open.
That was put in by US Law under NHTSA. U R in London, may not be programmed the same. If US truck, like 2015 on will have when BCM routinely flashed or installed I think it was 2017/18 where they were auto installed under NHTSA.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Nope , can't be done .... you can however buy an extension for the seatbelt buckle and it tricks the system into thinking you are in the truck ...
DITTO:

U can go on amazon and buy added buckle or other pieces U use. I have just a small clip I plug in to defeat. BUT I only use when not on the road, like in a field getting hay and such.

Ericnottelin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why can't you jump the seat belt buckle wires to always make the system think the seatbelt is buckled? I did this on a previous car to disable the annoying chime. Might solve two birds with one stone.

LouM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Ecodiesel crewcab old/ now 2019 Laramie Hemi
Engine
eco diesel old / now Hemi missing the eco's mileage
I have the 5" seat belt extender which I leave in at all times, when I fasten the belt it goes into the extender.
When the belt is not fastened the extender stays in and the truck thinks the belt is still fastened.
If you are bit on the larger size or older and not real flexible it even makes it easier to buckle up and unbuckle.https://www.seatbeltextenderpros.com/choosing-extender-styles/

I use the ridge style

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
You have the right to turn down the update,if you happen to have a truck or car that doesn't have this feature.One of these or something similiar will keep the dealer from updating your truck with-out your permission. Gives you time to research the update and see if you want to accept it.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
On my truck Autopark is disabled when the truck is in 4low or when the belt is buckled. Even if it's just buckled behind you.

CalDad14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6-speed, short bed, 392gears
Engine
Once again I've never heard of this. Live in S. Alberta, Canada. When we get dumped on, in terms of snow fall! I always back my truck out of my parking spot into my alley, where I then clear most of the snow off my vehicle. No sense in doing it in my parking stall cause then I'll have to move the snow twice. With a disability, you have to work smarter not harder. I digress, either way, when I back my truck out of it's stall, I can't see much. I clear my passenger window so I can utilize that sideview mirror. I perform a quick walk around my vehicle, check the alley for any people, kids. Then w/my driver door slightly ajar, I slowly back out of my parking stall while at the same announcing that "I'm backing out into the alley"! Never had an issue.

2017 Ram 1500 SLT, 5.7Hemi, 4x4, Crew Cab, 6-speed, short bed, 392gears.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I guess I should stop listening to music in the truck and leave my windows down if people actually think yelling their intentions out the door is signalling. I'd just stick to backing out slow if you can't see who's coming or backing in so I can see better leaving.

Rlaf75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I never knew about this feature until the other night. I was leaving work and apparently I didnt close my door tight enough. As I took my foot off the brake and started idling out of the parking space I opened the door to shut it tight. The truck was barely moving but came to an abrupt stop. I was like what the fu(k was that! Lol.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine

Check out this thread. Exact same discussion and a bunch of good info.

bchap05

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It was added around 18. My 17 didn't have it when I bought it, but they flashed it into it during a service appt. Personally it annoys me but I'm fine with it as before they added it I was backing up to my trailer, I didn't have a camera yet. So backing on without help I'd have to jump in and out of the truck a few times to get lined up. Well one time I was in a hurry jumping in and out, and accidently left it in reverse and jumped out. My truck drove into my trailer hitch with me standing beside it watching raging.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I always use the same Service Writer at the same dealership

Every time i went in for service, i was asked whether or not i wanted that particular flash, i refused every time
I went is for service in October, i was asked & i refused
When the TECH put the truck in his bay, he connected up his computer & did not consult the work order fully.
Everyone at the dealership knows my Ram, even the Courtesy Van drivers & i guess he was busy gnawing on the donuts that i had brought in, any way, he flashed my truck with the damn update.
I realized it as soon as i got home & tried to park.

I will be letting the SA know my displeasure, but it is done & can't be changed :(

1641002922767.png

Last edited:

MontanaHandyman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Shortly after I bought my Ram, I was backing up to load a bunch of hay bales. I tried backing up a few times with the door open and it came to a screeching halt each time. Since it was crazy cold out, around 20 below or so, I figured the tranny was acting up because of the cold, and my mind starts racing thoughts of 'great, just bought it and the transmission's already going out!'. Didn't find out til over a year later that it's a safety feature...or whatever they wanna call it!