Backup cam while driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeterDekold

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn, could turn on backup cam while driving

replaced tailgate with a 2015 model

now the backup camera turns off (blue screen, not available) if I drive over 15 mph. It used to be I could turn the backup cam on while driving and it would stay on for 30 seconds or so before returning to the menu. Now after replacing the tailgate after a flatbed backed into me, it will only stay on up until 15mph. If I drive over 15 mph it turns off with a blue screen, although if I slow down to 14 mph it turns back on.

I took it to a body shop since they had to spread the sides about 1/4" since the big crease in the top of the tailgate pulled them in. I don't think they messed with the radio or reprogramming or anything, but I could be wrong, only charged me $85 to put it on. I bought the tailgate for $600, it was the same color and looked exactly like my other tailgate with same emblems so no repainting. Had to drive 280 miles to get it though.

I am thinking that all that needs to be done is swap the power wire to the camera that is controlled by the radio to one that is on all the time, but I thought I would ask before I started monkeying with anything.

779410d2eb3e035d59ce3ee5669adebf.jpg

I think it is an RA-4 radio but the dash and screen look exactly that in every respect except for the coin holder in the tray and the tag on the keychain.

Anyone know how to get the cam working again while driving?