Backup camera help, running out of options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geoffrey Hird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
Hello. New to this forum, thanks for the add. Recently upgraded from an 03 2500 to a 2010 Laramie. Long story short I bought the truck with a lot of little issues, one of which was a broken screen on the head unit. Its an RER uconnect, which I have replaced now and it works great. However the backup camera is just a black screen. I then replaced the camera with an amazon unit Master Tailgaters backup camera "OE replacement" PN#56054164AB. Still just a black screen when I put it in reverse with the message to check surroundings. So then went ahead and replaced the tailgate jumper harness with the actual OEM one, still just a black screen. So I finally broke down and brought it to the dealer thinking maybe its a software issue or something, they are claiming the camera I put in has 6 circuits and the OEM camera has 5, and they want $480 for a factory camera. That's where i'm at, picked up the truck today without doing the repair. Does anyone have the service manual so I can start doing proper diagnosis, or can confirm deny the 5 vs 6 circuit issue? Thanks in advance. I was a mechanic for a long time so not a moron, just out of resources. I know I shouldn't have just thrown parts at it, but i was fine with replacing the camera and the jumper harness as I read they obv take a lot of abuse with opening and closing the tailgate. Everything plugged in like it should have.

OP
OP
Geoffrey Hird

Geoffrey Hird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
FYI replaced with a new OEM camera I got off ebay for $120 and it works like a charm PN56054164AD. Master Tailgaters PN MC-DR09OE did not work.

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
did you have to have the dealer flash the unit to make the camera work? I'm in the same boat, I have the setup but don't want to deal with the stealership.