Backup Camera Wiring / Signal Fading Out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuckrfish

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hi all,

New to this forum and new to Ram trucks.

I recently picked up a lightly used 2012 Ram 1500 Big Horn with the dumb radio, no cameras and non-Alpine system.

Rear Camera - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DLK4O48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Front Camera - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074KZSVD6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I replaced the head unit with a Kenwood CarPlay unit, no issues there and purchased the Crutchfield ready harness as well with PAC interface. Everything works great on that end.

I am having trouble with my aftermarket front and rear camera signals. I did not want to cut into the tail lights like I did on my last vehicle and also wanted my front cam on ignition switched power to be able to view it any time the vehicle is running.

So I purchased a nifty EZ-DC harness from infotainment.com that provides a fused pigtail power and ground in line from the center console switched 12V outlet, thinking that I can extend the power wires for both cameras front and rear into the cab and use the convenient switched 12V from that outlet for a clean install with power to both cameras.

When I first turn the vehicle on, both cameras are clear and work fine, but over the course of a few minutes the signal starts getting flashy and grainy until it almost cuts out entirely and it seems like it's affecting both cams. It just absolutely degrades.

I can reset this issue by unplugging the 12V harness and plugging it back in. Great video feed for a minute or two and then it degrades again. So I've done something wrong. I am guessing my issue is power related. Too much or too little.

My question is - did I mess up by running the power wires all the way into the cab instead of using the short power leads intended for tail lights within 1-2 feet of the camera? Do I have my polarity backwards somehow? Should both cameras be on separate power feeds?

I soldered in 20 or 22 gauge extension wires, it's the smallest I had available which were still a good bit larger than the flimsy power wires that come with the cameras.

I am also not using the RCA trigger wires either just yet since power is constant.

Any help to point me in the right direction would be appreciated, I know it's a lot to go through and of course it's custom... I will probably start troubleshooting one camera and power feed at a time this weekend.