Banks rear diff cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I purchased a Banks rear diff cover for my 2019 2500 6.4 hemi. I had it sitting around a couple of weeks and decided to install it today. Of course after removing the factory one and trying to install the Banks one, it is not right. I'm not sure if they sent the wrong one, or what. Holes definitely didn't line up. I was just trying to make changing the oil in the rear end easier since the Banks has a drain plug. Oh well, I guess I will try and send it back and get my money back since it is wrong. At least I got the fluid changed. I had 38,888 miles on it and the oil looked basically brand new.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I purchased a Banks rear diff cover for my 2019 2500 6.4 hemi. I had it sitting around a couple of weeks and decided to install it today. Of course after removing the factory one and trying to install the Banks one, it is not right. I'm not sure if they sent the wrong one, or what. Holes definitely didn't line up. I was just trying to make changing the oil in the rear end easier since the Banks has a drain plug. Oh well, I guess I will try and send it back and get my money back since it is wrong. At least I got the fluid changed. I had 38,888 miles on it and the oil looked basically brand new.
That's because you only had 39k miles on it. :cool:

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update. Apparently Banks website is wrong and they don't make a diff cover for my truck. I think they are wrong on that, but I didn't care. Got my diff fluid changed and all seems well. They are going to send an email with directions on returning everything and once inspected will refund the purchase price.

MTDewX8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got one for my 22 dually and 85k miles this summer, and only got it for easier fluid changes since I do them more often. I called when I Ordered and they gave me a discount which was cool. going good so far.

Cham

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I was looking for a Bank's cover for mine as well. Contacted them and they said they don't have one for that particular diff at this time. That was a year ago or more (mid 2022). Mine was only 40K mi so just sucked out the old fluid with a pump and refilled with the new stuff (same with front diff too). Old stuff looked decent, no sparkles etc. Will pull off the cover at 80-90K and clean them at that time.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Sorry to hear that it's not available for your YMM. I've got one on my 2016 2500 that I installed over a year ago, and honestly not trying to rub it in but it's one of my favorite upgrades to date. I catch myself checking the level each time I can see the glass lens on the back of it when I'm at the right angle and far enough back from the back. I ordered the bare metal one and got shaker can to match paint with a final coat on it before I installed and love how it came out. And I honestly stink at painting, but just took my time and put several layers of paint on it before final clear coat and did that I think 3x.

When/if they do make one for yours I can confirm you'll want one. I've had other brands on other trucks, and this one by far is the one I prefer. Keeping my fingers crossed for all of you that it won't be too much longer.

OP
OP
K

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was looking for a Bank's cover for mine as well. Contacted them and they said they don't have one for that particular diff at this time. That was a year ago or more (mid 2022). Mine was only 40K mi so just sucked out the old fluid with a pump and refilled with the new stuff (same with front diff too). Old stuff looked decent, no sparkles etc. Will pull off the cover at 80-90K and clean them at that time.
I think theybdo have one for my truck. They just shipped the wrong one. I didn't want them to replace it since I had just replaced the oil and didn't want to go through that again. The main reason I was doing it anyway is because I have cancer, won't be around much longer, and was trying to make it easy for my son to just pop the drain plug out when it's time to change oil and I'm gone. I don't have the time and energy to go through doing it again, so I was fairly happy that it got changed and should be good for quite a while before the next change is needed. By then, I will be long gone and my son will have my truck and he will be an adult then, so he can figure it out!! Haha.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I seem to recall that Banks made a YouTube video, that compared all the differential covers.

Basically, they said that movement of the Rear Differential Fluid of everything except the OEM cover, caused Cavitation.
There were spots within the housing, where the fluid was not coating the gears & bearings.

Personally, i thought that for the most part, the covers splashed the oil everywhere.

I had the Mag-Hytec on my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 & currently i have it on my 2016 Ram 1500.
It has a drain Plug & a Dip Stick to check fluid level

images

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I seem to recall that Banks made a YouTube video, that compared all the differential covers.

Basically, they said that movement of the Rear Differential Fluid of everything except the OEM cover, caused Cavitation.
There were spots within the housing, where the fluid was not coating the gears & bearings.

Personally, i thought that for the most part, the covers splashed the oil everywhere.

I had the Mag-Hytec on my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 & currently i have it on my 2016 Ram 1500.
It has a drain Plug & a Dip Stick to check fluid level

images

That's the problem GT,they splash oil everywhere,but don't actually feed any oil to the front pinion bearings.Take a look at a factory cover,you'll see it channels oil from the ring gear to the pinion. I've yet to figure out why the aftermarket is to stupid to have figured it out,as the factory engineers have been doing it since the 50's.Anybody with an eye and a$$hole should be able to see what the factory has designed into the rear cover and copy it.It wouldn't even take much of a redesign to fix alot of the aftermarket covers,all they would need to do,is add a curved U shaped tin channel pop riveted or screwed to the back cover right behind the ring gear that would feed the oil off the ring gear,up and over it to the pinion bearings

Last edited:

quickster2

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram Laramie 2500 4 X 4
Engine
6.4L
I have a PML cover on both front & rear as did my 2003 2500 V10. Both have/had the 4:10 LS rear diff. The 2003 is pushing 125K with the new owner (I sold it with 65K on it) and my '15 is heading towards 80K. I have watched the Banks video on the subject. @HEMIMANN has a Banks per his notes but they don't seem to offer 1 for the '15. I've never had a problem but that does not mean it is not an issue. I change my diff oil every 20K.

At 70K I screwed up. As I was seeing how the Amsoil squeezable bags would mate up to the fill hole, I did not realize the little plastic cap was on the end and of course it fell into the diff body. Tough lesson learned. I had to pull the cover after trying other means to get the cap to fall through the drain hole. Everything inside looked pristine and the drained oil was very clean going through the strainer. I would think that with all the PML, Mag Hytec, and other covers out there we would hear of more problems. Not saying the Banks is not superior. If Banks made 1 for my truck, I would swap the PML out. Truck is heading towards 80K currently.

Last edited:

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
That's the problem GT,they splash oil everywhere,but don't actually feed any oil to the front pinion bearings.Take a look at a factory cover,you'll see it channels oil from the ring gear to the pinion. I've yet to figure out why the aftermarket is to stupid to have figured it out,as the factory engineers have been doing it since the 50's.Anybody with an eye and a$$hole should be able to see what the factory has designed into the rear cover and copy it.It wouldn't even take much of a redesign to fix alot of the aftermarket covers,all they would need to do,is add a curved U shaped tin channel pop riveted or screwed to the back cover right behind the ring gear that would feed the oil off the ring gear,up and over it to the pinion bearings

I still get tickled at the hubris of aftermarket companies who prey on ignorance and imply that they have more hundreds of millions of dollars and resources than the manufacturers do. There are truly some aftermarket things which do work better than OE... but damned few.

I have witnessed many folks who HAVE installed the gitty-up-go-fast thingamajig based upon glitzy advertisements and other worldly claims and hype, only to retrofit back to stock several thousand dollars after the damage caused by said aftermarket thingamajig.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have a PML cover on both front & rear as did my 2003 2500 V10. Both have/had the 4:10 LS rear diff. The 2003 is pushing 125K with the new owner (I sold it with 65K on it) and my '15 is heading towards 80K. I have watched the Banks video on the subject. @HEMIMANN has a Banks per his notes but they don't seem to offer 1 for the '15. I've never had a problem but that does not mean it is not an issue. I change my diff oil every 20K.

At 70K I screwed up. As I was seeing how the Amsoil squeezable bags would mate up to the fill hole, I did not realize the little plastic cap was on the end and of course it fell into the diff body. Tough lesson learned. I had to pull the cover after trying other means to get the cap to fall through the drain hole. Everything inside looked pristine and the drained oil was very clean going through the strainer. I would think that with all the PML, Mag Hytec, and other covers out there we would here of more problems. Not saying the Banks is not superior. If Banks made 1 for my truck, I would swap the PML out. Truck is heading towards 80K currently.
I bet there's not as many after market covers in use as you think.Also how many diffs have needed work because of the aftermarket covers.It still boggles my mind that the aftermarket hasn't picked up on what the factory engineers have been doing for 60+ years,it wouldn't even take much to copy the factory rear diff covers channel that feeds the pinion and front bearings. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer,but even i can see it'd be pretty simple to add a curved U shaped tin channel to the rear of the cover,that copies the factories channel.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I bet there's not as many after market covers in use as you think.Also how many diffs have needed work because of the aftermarket covers.It still boggles my mind that the aftermarket hasn't picked up on what the factory engineers have been doing for 60+ years,it wouldn't even take much to copy the factory rear diff covers channel that feeds the pinion and front bearings. I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer,but even i can see it'd be pretty simple to add a curved U shaped tin channel to the rear of the cover,that copies the factories channel.
Watch the movie "Beethoven" about the huge dog. The man who owned the dog tried to mitigate the damages the dog did by spending incrementally larger sums of money on "dog-proof" gadgets. Each time, the man said that the doohickey just HAD to work this time; relating to how much it cost and claims made by the maker.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thoffmann517