Batteries suddenly fail

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djsapr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD 4x4 Laramie | Exterior Billet Silver / Interior Mountain Brown & Light Frost Beige
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
I'm curious about sudden battery fails in my 2019 2500 HD. One morning in 2022, at 59,000 miles, the truck wouldn't even attempt to crank. Roadside assistance came out, tried to jump start, no luck. Upon arrival by flatbed wrecker at the dealer's, I was told the original equipment batteries were dead and needed replacement ($699.) This week, at 104,000 miles, the situation repeated itself. My new AVAPOW 6,000 amp jump starter kit had no effect. Truck would not crank. Another flatbed ride to a dealer. The MOPAR batteries from 2022 were still under their two-year warranty, so the dealer replaced them at no charge. The standard issue batteries were on backorder, however, so the ones I got (H7AGM) are "aftermarket." My questions... >Why is there no warning, or any kind of indication the batteries are going bad? Fine one day; dead the next. (The "Ram Vehicle Health Report" I get by email is worthless in this regard.) >Why can't the truck be jump started? Did I waste my money on the 6,000 amp AVAPOW? >What can I do to possibly avoid another unpleasant "no start" morning another 20-24 months down the road from now? --thanks in advance~!

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
Cold weather will finish off a weak battery. However, you should be getting better service than two years.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Results will vary. Worse case scenario of short trips, frequent start then immediately shut-offs, ect. will tax the life of the batteries do to them never being brought back up to full charge after a cold start. Also, if they only replaced 1 battery in a 2 battery system, the old battery will often drag down the life of the new battery cutting down its life span.
There's alot of reasons and scenarios for a battery to die. And with so much draw with all the electronics plus in colder weather the diesel grid heater really runs the batteries down on startup.
Do a forum search and you'll find recent battery threads. Walmart AGM batteries are the best price value, longest free replacement 4 yr warranty, and is available nationwide.

OP
OP
djsapr

djsapr

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 2500 HD 4x4 Laramie | Exterior Billet Silver / Interior Mountain Brown & Light Frost Beige
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Cold weather will finish off a weak battery. However, you should be getting better service than two years.
Thanks. I live in SoCal, so “cold” is 60 degrees.

OP
OP
djsapr

djsapr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins I6
Results will vary. Worse case scenario of short trips, frequent start then immediately shut-offs, ect. will tax the life of the batteries do to them never being brought back up to full charge after a cold start. Also, if they only replaced 1 battery in a 2 battery system, the old battery will often drag down the life of the new battery cutting down its life span.
There's alot of reasons and scenarios for a battery to die. And with so much draw with all the electronics plus in colder weather the diesel grid heater really runs the batteries down on startup.
Do a forum search and you'll find recent battery threads. Walmart AGM batteries are the best price value, longest free replacement 4 yr warranty, and is available nationwide.
Thank you for the response. I think the thing that bothers me the most is that despite the electronic intelligence of this truck, there’s no way for it to let me know when the batteries are weak. I wish I would get a little more notice because tow trucks are expensive.