Battery Keeps Dying

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fee-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Yall,

I've been having battery issues as of late, and I am stumped as to what could be causing it. I often find my battery and truck to be dead, and it doesn't seem to matter what I do to try and prevent it. A couple nights ago I came home, knowing I had been having battery issues and my truck had sat for a couple days. I assumed I would have to jump it to get it rolling again, and she fired right up. I let her run for 10-15 minutes, less than usually because it started no problems, and then shut her down. I returned home from work approximately 1 hour later and went to start my truck to move it, and it was dead. Last night I returned home got her jumped, let it run for 30-40 minutes, ran to the gas station and got fuel, came home and disconnected the battery (this has been my most current solution for the time being). I went out this morning to reconnect my battery and start my truck, and she was dead. Another example; I had plans one afternoon and I was going to need to leave at 4pm. I went outside around noon, started my truck (she started under her own power), let her run for 45ish minutes I'd say, and went and shut her down. I went out to leave around 4, and she was dead.

It just seems like sometimes she'll sit for a day or two or hell maybe even three and she'll start, or sometimes I will have drove her for a few hours before returning home and she'll sit overnight (8-10 hours) and she'll be dead when I come out again. I've had the battery on a tester and the battery tests good.

Any Help Would Be Greatly Appreciated, Thanks. (2018 Dodge 1500 w/a 5.7)

Last edited:

rzr6-4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Battery testers can show good as the battery will still have good cold cranking amps but will actually be bad as they are still dissipating charge while just sitting there. Exhibit A: My sierra that I just rebuilt, I would always have to jump it and I figured it was all the loose wires I had laying around grounding out. Fixed the wires and still had the issue. I tested the battery and it showed very high CCAs, but at a loss I replaced the battery anyway and I haven't had any issues since (fingers crossed).

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So when its dead do you get any lights on the dash? Or do you have a voltmeter to check battery voltage? I suspect you have an intermittent wiring or relay issue as sometimes its dead ( 10 mins is not enough time to dissipate a charge) but can last over night. voltage readings would be helpfull in a start condition and a dead condition. this will help divide the system to aid in troubleshooting

OP
OP
F

Fee-

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It really depends on the day it seems like. Sometimes I get dash lights, sometimes it's so dead I don't get any dash lights. As far as if any new lights come on the dash when I get it hooked up to jump, the only light I only new light that comes on is the bed light. I do not have a voltmeter.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
Check your charging system and your alternator.
How much does your truck sit? Modern vehicles have lots of pirate voltage.
Conside a battery disconnect. I have a Lexus I drive sporadically. I disconnect the neg battery cable when it is not being driven.

chaosh1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
ok, without a voltmeter for some reference voltages its very hard to check or explain what to do. Change the battery, the fact that its been dead dead says that its more than likely sulfated beyond repair. I do recommend you get a meter and learn how to use it though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Look at parasitic loss. If the battery lives in SD the capacity now in year 7 is low, could be the issue. Hemi's need a lot of amps to start, if the capacity os like 1/2 of what it is new, the truck aint gonna start. But the fact you say dead, could be draining somewhere. Regalrdless, it is time for a new battery if it is 7 years old. a 2018 would have been built 2017, and now it is 2024, well over average span of 5 years.

ity-battery-life-compared-at-different-temperature.jpg

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Maybe consider a h8 instead of h7, might get more life out of it. Measure the tray, some fit some don't, you can of course make it fit.

Drummin4jc

WWG1WGA!
Reaction score
Ram Year
2024 Ram 2500 CC
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Bringing this back to life; I just brought home my new 2024 Ram 2500 yesterday. Came out to the garage this afternoon to put seat covers and such on it and everything illuminated fine. Went to start it, no go. Definitely didn’t have enough to start it. Dealer said if it does it again tomorrow to bring it in for testing (I have to pick up my vent shades anyway). Jumped it with the jumper pack and ran fine all day today.

Adam

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowrider357