battery drain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crusher23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im looking for help with what seems to be more and more common, battery drain issues. 2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn Limited. 6.7 diesel 60,000 miles. There are two batteries actually. The problem really started back in March. The truck wouldn't start but it only did it once so I figured it was a fluke. Basically it has been on an accelerated ramp to the point where it went back to the dealer. They called and said the brand new batteries that I put in 6 months ago are dead.

WTF?

I am not in the habit of throwing money around just because it is fun. I am not particularly electronically gifted so these other threads that suggest pulling fuses and setting up meters to measure current draw and the like might as well be in another language. Hopefully someone else from Colorado can point me in the direction of a reputable shop that can do this sort of thing.

Steve (Crusher23)

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What size batteries did you put in? If you didn't put batteries with high enough CCA then they won't last very long.

I haven't checked what size these are in my new '22, but I try to get a minimum of 850 CCA in my replacement batteries.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Can't help with a shop recommendation but can tell you my truck does the same thing. I've been through a couple batteries and now just put it on a battery tender if it's going to sit for more than a week or so. I really don't know how long it's had the problem since the truck really never sat for more than a few days until about a year ago when I started splitting time between two residences. These newer vehicles are just to complicated electronically that these gremlins can be tough to chase down.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
What size batteries did you put in? If you didn't put batteries with high enough CCA then they won't last very long.

I haven't checked what size these are in my new '22, but I try to get a minimum of 850 CCA in my replacement batteries.
For fun and giggles looked up what a few places listed to use, I was a bit surprised that several thought my 22 CTD only needed 730 CCA battery, others listed 750 CCA :favorites68:

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Did you do anything, change anything, have any repairs done around the time the problem started? Not sure if the timing from your post, were new batteries put in about 6 months before the problem?

Assuming it was post-battery install it is possible that both were of a bad batch and caused the problem, and/or they aren't of sufficient amperage which could lead to the issue as stated above.

Since they are now replaced, hopefully with stronger batteries you should check with a volt meter before driving especially if left sitting for an extended time, and then after driving. If seems drawn down in the morning your going to have to start checking all connections, clean them up. If that doesn't fix, one way if not electronically savvy is to remove all fuses and then install one each night and check batteries each morning. When large draw happens, you might have found your bad circuit. Good luck.

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
For fun and giggles looked up what a few places listed to use, I was a bit surprised that several thought my 22 CTD only needed 730 CCA battery, others listed 750 CCA :favorites68:
Surprising it only calls for 730, but 750 is usually the norm for a car battery period. I have yet to find a situation or vehicle where more wasn't better though.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Tron67j got me to thinking ..

There is an article that tells of things to look for & the reasons that you should look at them

We may all be doing some things incorrectly

truck2569

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can't help with a shop recommendation but can tell you my truck does the same thing. I've been through a couple batteries and now just put it on a battery tender if it's going to sit for more than a week or so. I really don't know how long it's had the problem since the truck really never sat for more than a few days until about a year ago when I started splitting time between two residences. These newer vehicles are just to complicated electronically that these gremlins can be tough to chase down.
Electrical functions still work on the truck even when the key is off like the clock. I just purchased a Solar panel from Habor freight to remedy that problem.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Electrical functions still work on the truck even when the key is off like the clock. I just purchased a Solar panel from Habor freight to remedy that problem.
Yeah, and it's funny... I get answers all over the map to the question of how long a vehicle should be able to sit without starting. I know I've had some sit for as much as a month and fire up without issue whereas my Ram will die within a week or so. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with mine but I just don't have the patience to try and fix it right now.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Im looking for help with what seems to be more and more common, battery drain issues. 2016 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn Limited. 6.7 diesel 60,000 miles. There are two batteries actually. The problem really started back in March. The truck wouldn't start but it only did it once so I figured it was a fluke. Basically it has been on an accelerated ramp to the point where it went back to the dealer. They called and said the brand new batteries that I put in 6 months ago are dead.

WTF?

I am not in the habit of throwing money around just because it is fun. I am not particularly electronically gifted so these other threads that suggest pulling fuses and setting up meters to measure current draw and the like might as well be in another language. Hopefully someone else from Colorado can point me in the direction of a reputable shop that can do this sort of thing.

Steve (Crusher23)
Its not hard to test the batteries, if they did that and said they are bad, well then they are probably bad. It happens. When i bought my ‘16 power wagon (brand new) the battery died on me about a half year in. Dealer replaced. Then about 7 years later i replaced it with a heavy duty one from the parts store and that one died within the warranty period so they replaced it for free. Batteries can go bad early, it happens.