Battery/Electrical issue on '08

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ichbineine

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2008 1500 5.7L

The issue started almost 3 years ago. The very first time was when it had been sitting 3 days in -38 weather (visiting family in rural Alberta, so not plugged in). It wouldnt start, the fob wouldnt unlock the doors, no lights, chime, nothing. The battery was dead. I wrote this off to sometimes living in Canada sucks. Got a boost and off I went.

A few months later I went to start my truck... barely a click when i turned the key. Tried boosting it and didn't help. I did have lights and the dash lit up. At the time I had a broken leg that required doctors to put Humpty back together again... so off to the mechanics he went. They said it was the starter. Replaced that, came home... and it worked fine for about a month. Then it started requiring a boost to get going.... so i replaced the battery. Same battery I had since I bought the truck - so at least 4 years old. (I did use a battery tester and while I cant remember the exact number it was pretty low). Didn't help much, so I replaced the alternator.

Once again it worked ... probably for about another month or two. Then it would sometimes need to be boosted and sometimes not. I found that by pulling the IOD fuse everytime I shut it off it stopped the battery from draining. Not long after I bought a car to commute to work so wasnt too worried if I had to boost the truck on the rare occassions I needed it... but after some guess and test I decided it was the negative battery cable. Replaced that (definitely an issue as I could see where it was shorting out)... and the truck ran like a dream for over 6 months.
Now... the battery, that is less than 18 months old, is dying again and I have no idea why. I am careful to make sure all lights, etc shut off when I get out. Everytime I go somewhere I need to boost it first - even if it's only been a day. Ive put the battery tester on when the truck is off and it doesnt show it having a load on it.

I'm just not sure what to check next? It may be a coincidence but shortly before the very first time, someone broke into my truck by smashing the window.