Baxter Performance Spin on Oil Filter conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave2018

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018,Previous 1998
Engine
3.6L,Previous 5.9L
Came across this on youtube. Scotty endorced the company. It's $300. What do you think? Has anyone tried it out?

Baxter performance website.

Installation of the Baxter Performance spin on adapter.

Scotty's endorcement

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In my opinion this is silly and a complete waste of money. I don't get the point of it.

It does nothing to eliminate any of the potential problem spots that the pentastar oil filter / cooler assembly has in terms of leaks. To me, the stress and movement from having a spin on filter hanging way off the end of the OE housing is just going to stress the plastic filter / cooler housing even more, causing it to leak sooner.

All this ~$300 device is doing is replacing the cap with a fancy insert allowing you to use a spin on filter that likely has less filtering media than the OEM drop-in element.

Now if they had an all aluminum replacement filter / cooler housing, they'd have something.

Mohican69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar
You'd also have to remove this entire unit during every oil change to replace not one but 2 O-ring gaskets. One on the stupid plastic cap that comes stock and now one on this adapter. Last time I checked the filters only come with one. So what are you going to to, keep replacing the top one and then moving the top one down or make sure you buy an extra O-ring every time you buy supplies to change your oil? You certainly aren't going to Jiffy Lube because I don't think they'll change either one. All I want is an all metal housing AND metal cap that won't leak all over the place every other oil change! I never had a problem changing my oil with a spin on filter that hung on the bottom of my engine. All of sudden some "genius" has the bright idea of putting the filter up on top and now every other oil change the cap leaks because that STUPID O-ring has slid out of place or the cap is too tight or too loose, or the moon is in alignment with Jupiter or whatever the reason.

grizzstang

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't see the point of this unit either. In the end you are still left with the crappy plastic oil filter housing.

I had to replace the oil filter housing on our Jeep Wrangler with another plastic OEM unit that will also eventually fail.

I wish this Dorman Aluminium housing was available at the time.

brad byron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In my opinion this is silly and a complete waste of money. I don't get the point of it.

It does nothing to eliminate any of the potential problem spots that the pentastar oil filter / cooler assembly has in terms of leaks. To me, the stress and movement from having a spin on filter hanging way off the end of the OE housing is just going to stress the plastic filter / cooler housing even more, causing it to leak sooner.

All this ~$300 device is doing is replacing the cap with a fancy insert allowing you to use a spin on filter that likely has less filtering media than the OEM drop-in element.

Now if they had an all aluminum replacement filter / cooler housing, they'd have something.

RLJ10X

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
On one hand, you bought a Pentastar to save money.

Then you're going to turn around and throw away $300?

Toon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L V6
From what I gather the Baxter oil filter adapter has a built in check valve that keeps the oil from draining out of the high mounted filter back into the oil pan This oil drain back which takes about 38 seconds, causes a dry start on the engine for the first 3 seconds. The Baxter adapter keeps oil in the filter and reduces the length of time the engine runs dry on start up.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ill be putting one on the wife's JK, as someone who keeps his vehicles for 10+y Im really impressed by the way they designed the check valve. I already have to do lifters on the POS at 40xxxkm because previous owner was a ******** that got it serviced at a stealer****.

And having a spin on filter is a bonus. will also pare it with the Aluminium housing. will do this at the same time as the lifters this summer.

I wouldn't take any advice from people that dont wrench ,or have never handled the product ;) and like always if it sucks ill be the first one to say it :anitoof:

Dont forget the Redline 5w30 sauce :dogpile:

Last edited:

Toon12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L V6
It is pricey but I plan on keeping this truck for a long time. One caution I would add if you have the 3.6l V6 is to make sure you buy a spin on filter that has the shorter body length and no more than a 3" outside diameter or it wont fit. I bought a 57045 filter which was the right diameter but is 123mm or 4.828" high and it was too tall to get the air intake back on. Had to walk down to the parts store to get a shorter filter to get the truck reassembled. Ended up with a 57060 Wix filter. I have since looked it up on the Baxter website and they suggest a Wix 57502 filter. The next oil change I will throw one of those in there.

This is a picture of the 57045 which is too tall to get the air intake back on. As you can see there is no room for a larger diameter filter either.
Oil filter, Too tall (6)a.jpg

Last edited:

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the info. I just need to find what Royal Purple filter will work in her JK as we have more room, :favorites13:

Must be nice not having lifter tick on startup anymore ;) :anitoof:

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
For the Wix 57502 he mentioned, it looks like it might be the RP 20-500. Cross referenced to the Wix it looks like it mostly a Ford filter.

danielmid

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They also have a remote filter kit that would let you use the much larger 3/4-16 filters.