Bearing growling noise at 13-1400 rpm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rickp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2011 Hemi 4WD and it making kind of a wheel bearing noise at 13-1400 rpm's at around 49MPH in top gear. It only does it in top gear and the noise is that same whether the 4WD is engaged or not, my mechanic says its in the front Diff but I'm thinking its the transmission. It only happens under a steady state and goes away immediately when I let off or accelerate. any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is there any way to tell if the noise is coming from the front, middle, or back of the truck? That could help to rule some things out.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Does it get more noisy when you turn the wheel left or right that will tell you which wheel bearing is making noise,also have you heard of Chassis Ears, they are a transmitter that you clamp on the underside with a received that used a bar graph that will tell you where the noise is coming from.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
I have a 2011 Hemi 4WD and it making kind of a wheel bearing noise at 13-1400 rpm's at around 49MPH in top gear. It only does it in top gear and the noise is that same whether the 4WD is engaged or not, my mechanic says its in the front Diff but I'm thinking its the transmission. It only happens under a steady state and goes away immediately when I let off or accelerate. any ideas??

Thanks in advance!

Hi Rickp,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. While I know that you are reaching out to fellow forum members on this, if you are not able to determine a solution and you decide to address this with your dealer, we are more than happy to provide you with an additional layer of support for that process.

Mark
RamCares

OP
OP
R

Rickp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Is there any way to tell if the noise is coming from the front, middle, or back of the truck? That could help to rule some things out.

Its coming from the front for sure. The weird thing is I can't duplicate the noise in any other gear or speed which makes me think its the transmission.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Is it a automatic or manual? I had a manual 5 speed in a Dakota that would make noise in 4th gear as you described. It was a bearing. I think before I started sinking a bunch of money into it, I would change the oil in the tranny, whether it be manual or auto. This won't cost a bunch & might just fix the problem. If that doesn't fix it maybe try changing the oil in both diffs. with Amsoil Severe Gear. I have read where many guys have quieted there diffs by changing to this lube.

Elevated 2013

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Is there any possibly way to put the whole truck up on jack stands and see if you can duplicate the noise while it’s in the air? You will need someone to help you to keep the wheel speed down and in case it rocks/vibrates off of the jack stands. Just a safety precaution. Also, does the noise get louder or quieter with more or less speed? Is it only at that speed or at that engine speed that you hear the noise?

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Thanks in advance!
I would put my money on the classic “tq converter rattle”. There is a tsb about it. 13-1500rpm is the sweet spot for it to happen. Nothing to worry about, more of a pita if anything.

OP
OP
R

Rickp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's the spot for sure, what's a "tsb" ?? Your explanation makes sense because if it was something else it would make the noise in every gear at the same RPM or MPH. So the Torque converter is a common issue with these trucks, this is my first Ram and I love it.

I was thinking it may be a CV joint, I'm thinking about taking off one front axle at a time and drive.

OP
OP
R

Rickp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Replaced the TQ converter and that fixed it, thanks for the help!