Bed came loose!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Any help here would be greatly appreciated, I’m not even positive this is the best place to post about this…
As stated, the bed on my 2019 PowerWagon came loose!
Has anybody experienced this? Doesn’t seem common, I wasn’t able to find a thread on it.
In any case I’m a bit embarrassed to say my truck is basically a mall-crawler, lol. So without hard use, the bed came loose and shifted, and unfortunately my truck cap dented the cab on each corner.
Has anybody heard of anything like this before?
Ram warrantied the bed shifting and they put it back where it belongs and tightened it back down, but there are still two big dents in the cab so I’m pretty bummed about that.
The service people at my local dealer are super cool and they figured the damage would be covered as well but unfortunately in the end it wasn’t.
Apologies for any rambling on my part, really just curious if this had ever happened to anybody else?

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
How did the dealer justify not warranting the dents ?

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
Too bad your dealership didnt cover the debts. I think they should. You can contact a mobile dent guy. I have used one in the past, they are usually not too expensive.

Mudd_jumper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow never heard of that before. I am supprised that the dents were not covered since it was cused by the bed shift.

OP
OP
Lwarner03

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
How did the dealer justify not warranting the dents ?
The dealership guys were super cool and they thought it would be covered. The guy in charge of warranty claims for the PNW denied it and the service manager guessed he was saying the truck cap constituted a “modification” and that’s why it was denied. That was a guess on his part, he told me the guy said the cap was a “non-Ram part” and that’s why he denied it. Honestly the service guys seemed surprised and they’ve always been really helpful at the dealership.

OP
OP
Lwarner03

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow never heard of that before. I am supprised that the dents were not covered since it was cused by the bed shift.
Well, you’re correct about the bed shift causing the damage BUT Rams warranty guy says it’s because I had a truck cap on. At best I’d say it’s 50/50 if the bed had stayed where it was supposed to OR if I didn’t put a cap on the cab would be dent free. I mean obviously I’m biased in my own favor though so I agree with you.

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah, I’d be fighting that. The canopy didn’t cause the dent, the bed did and due to the bed failing the result was dents. Good luck as this will be a ride but I wouldn’t let up if it were me.

2020PW

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You had a truck top (camper shell), what’s the odds they loosened up the bolt to tweak the bed alignment for the top installation and never tightened them?

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I'm guessing their argument is the topper hit the cab and not the bed so the damage was caused by a non factory part and if it wasn't there the cab damage would not have occured. Did the front drop? I would try a PDR first and hope for the best. A judge in small claims may see it your way, but even if you win there it costs time and money so a PDR is probably cheaper in the end then fighting with them. Could try to appeal directly or through ram cares, but may end up with the same result as it's already been filed and denied through their channels.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lwarner03

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BWL, I suspect their logic is exactly as you stated. Edit: don’t know what you mean by front drop. I didn’t drive it over a drop if that’s what you meant. The front of bed also didn’t drop, it was level as far as I could tell just slid forward and parallelogramed. Dealer fixed the bed so the only sign now is damage to the cab.

2020PW: the dealership said there was no sign the bolts had been tampered with but I couldn’t confirm or deny your theory. If any member with knowledge of canopy installation could weigh in I’d be grateful. It never occurred to me they would loosen the bed during canopy install.

Thanks all for your input and ideas!

Mudd_jumper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The dealership guys were super cool and they thought it would be covered. The guy in charge of warranty claims for the PNW denied it and the service manager guessed he was saying the truck cap constituted a “modification” and that’s why it was denied. That was a guess on his part, he told me the guy said the cap was a “non-Ram part” and that’s why he denied it. Honestly the service guys seemed surprised and they’ve always been really helpful at the dealership.
I would ask for it in writing, nothing against that dealership. And then push it up the ladder at clams.

OP
OP
Lwarner03

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would ask for it in writing, nothing against that dealership. And then push it up the ladder at clams.
Thanks Mudd, a lot of it was via text and email, or I took notes directly after conversing, so it’s well documented, in writing.
I also have nothing against the dealership, their service people have been very helpful and in this case they have an in-house body shop as well so they wanted and expected Ram to approve it… Ram warranty who I emailed and spoke with said they couldn’t overrule the regional warranty director (or whatever the title is).
I just figured I’d share knowledge here in case it wasn’t as rare as I assumed it was.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
there is no reason whatsoever that a bed would have to have any bolts loosened to install a cap..assuming the cap was made for a Ram 2500 and was compatible with your year of truck. curious what cap and do you have photos of the dents?

OP
OP
Lwarner03

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
there is no reason whatsoever that a bed would have to have any bolts loosened to install a cap..assuming the cap was made for a Ram 2500 and was compatible with your year of truck. curious what cap and do you have photos of the dents?
It’s an ARE cap made for my truck. Highly recommend ARE, I really like the cap.4F4DF486-DC4D-4D6B-9363-FAE118246E09.jpeg

Attachments

• A87D8CB9-F27D-4115-87EB-0AD1B6CCBF9E.jpeg
    A87D8CB9-F27D-4115-87EB-0AD1B6CCBF9E.jpeg
    109.7 KB · Views: 14

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
BWL, I suspect their logic is exactly as you stated. Edit: don’t know what you mean by front drop. I didn’t drive it over a drop if that’s what you meant. The front of bed also didn’t drop, it was level as far as I could tell just slid forward and parallelogramed. Dealer fixed the bed so the only sign now is damage to the cab.

2020PW: the dealership said there was no sign the bolts had been tampered with but I couldn’t confirm or deny your theory. If any member with knowledge of canopy installation could weigh in I’d be grateful. It never occurred to me they would loosen the bed during canopy install.

Thanks all for your input and ideas!
I was wondering if the cab came off the front mounts so the canopy hit the cab because of the bed sitting at an angle. I'm guessing since it was level that that was just the closest thing to the cab and the box would have hit the cab had the canopy not stopped it. Might be a good counter argument there if that's the case.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lwarner03

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
BWL: I’m pretty sure you’re right, the whole bed was biased to one side and crooked so I’m guessing it slid forward and that’s when cap hit. Edited to add: I’ve also been told it rides on some kind of pins and can’t move THAT much so I guess I don’t know enough so really say HOW it happened.
Two things are sure, the bed moved and when it did the cap hit.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
It's a high dollar truck and the situation would tick anyone off, but it is basically 4yrs old, so I'm not sure how/why Ram would cover the repairs. If the paint isn't broken or chipped, I'd leave those dents alone rather than have a standard consumer grade repair done.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lwarner03

Lwarner03

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a high dollar truck and the situation would tick anyone off, but it is basically 4yrs old, so I'm not sure how/why Ram would cover the repairs. If the paint isn't broken or chipped, I'd leave those dents alone rather than have a standard consumer grade repair done.
PMR: It’s 2019 with under 36k, it’ll still be under warranty until sometime early next year. They even fixed the bed under warranty so at least that’s not crooked anymore. Sadly, paint is broken.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Have it fixed , then go after the money in small claims court .