Bed Rails - DS or DT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theLane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
Hello all,

Not sure where this post should go. Please move it if in the wrong place and I apologize. I bought a used 2019 Ram 1500 ecoDiesel and I can't figure out if I have a DS or DT model so I can determine what MOPAR bed rails, if any, I can install.

My goal is to have some bed rails installed and get the divider and/or maybe the bike carrier.

Can anyone help me figure this out? Much appreciated.

EsUnTakuache

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7-Liter V8 HEMI® MDS VVT
You have the DS the DS is the 2009-2018 & (2019-2021 Classic) then diesel became available on the 2020 model year DT Ram.

Last edited:

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
@theLane If it's a '19 model year with an EcoDiesel engine, its a Gen4 DS body truck. You should have five wheel lugs.
There was no '19 Gen5 DT with EcoDiesel under the hood.
'20-'21 model year truck w/EcoDiesel can go either DS or DT, count the wheel lugs DS = 5, DT = 6

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You have the DS the DS is the 2009-2018 & (2019-2021 Classic) then diesel became available on the 2020 model year DT Ram.
(golfclap)...nice edit

OP
OP
T

theLane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
Thank you VERY much for clearing that up for me. Reason I was asking is, despite the site saying it is compatible, I can't see anywhere to bolt the rails in the middle of the box on my truck as per instructions. There is no "strut" there (Is it called a strut?). I think, if I have to put a bolt there, it would basically go right through the wall of the truck.

https://www.moparonlineparts.com/sku/82211056.html

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I think, if I have to put a bolt there, it would basically go right through the wall of the truck.
The beds of these trucks are double walled, as long as the fastener/bolt isn't excessively long it won't go through the outside of the bed. I'm guessing there is probably self-tapping screws that will come with the rails.

EsUnTakuache

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
(golfclap)...nice edit
I clicked edit before you posted, may have been at the same time because I was researching to double check myself took about an hour or so before I actually posted the edit. So sorry if it seems like "copied your homework" but I didn't, nor would I want to.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I clicked edit before you posted, may have been at the same time because I was researching to double check myself took about an hour or so before I actually posted the edit. So sorry if it seems like "copied your homework" but I didn't, nor would I want to.
everyone makes mistakes, people wouldn't care if you added an edit to your original post stating you barfed the information(been there, done that).
A lot of people don't realize there's not '19 Gen5(DT) w/EcoD nor that the '20/'21 Gen4(DS) trucks still use the 2ndGen EcoDiesel engine. The 3rdGen EcoDiesel is only in the DT bodies and the original version of what became the EcoDiesel was intended for a Cadillac. You could say I've kept up on the engine.

EsUnTakuache

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
everyone makes mistakes, people wouldn't care if you added an edit to your original post stating you barfed the information(been there, done that).
A lot of people don't realize there's not '19 Gen5(DT) w/EcoD nor that the '20/'21 Gen4(DS) trucks still use the 2ndGen EcoDiesel engine. The 3rdGen EcoDiesel is only in the DT bodies and the original version of what became the EcoDiesel was intended for a Cadillac. You could say I've kept up on the engine.
I'll admit I could have written "Edit was for...", but oh well. But I know more about the diesel 1500 than I knew before and there assembly plant, its just I'm easily distracted when I get into reading something interesting.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
But I know more about the diesel 1500 than I knew before and there assembly plant, its just I'm easily distracted when I get into reading something interesting.
I live less than 50 miles from both plants (Warren Truck & SHAP) and been in both of them. If you find them interesting to read about, seeing them in action up close is mind boggling.
If you ever find yourself in the Dearborn, MI area go on the F-150 plant tour through Henry Ford Museum. It's just a small glimpse of a production line in action, but gives you a good idea of what happens across the entire plant.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I have watched the assembly process at both Plants on Youtube, there are several videos

I just once like to see a video that was Edited with everything in the proper order

When i was watching one particular video at the Warren Plant, they are installing the wheels before the interior & doors are in place.
In reality, at the Warren Plant, the wheels don't go on until almost everything else is done to build the Ram

OP
OP
T

theLane

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
ecoDiesel
Well, despite the bits of info I picked up here and help, which is very much appreciated by the way, I have not been able to determine bed rails that fit the truck. Stopped at a dealership and they couldn't figure it out either so I guess the only way is to buy a bunch of bed rails and try them out until something works, which isn't going to happen - sigh.

If anyone sees this thread and has the same bed as my truck (see earlier photo post), with rails, MUCH appreciate maybe sharing a photo and/or info you have.

Thanks all.