Been a long time! New to me 3500 CTD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'd certainly take the Aisin transmission before the ZF. With the joint venture with Allision to create them, the Aisin is user-serviceable. The ZF appears intended for service by a professional shop with all the equipment - hence the long oil change interval, which is dubious, at best. German culture.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
That color looks pretty sharp! (and that's coming from someone who hasn't bought a new truck in any color except black since 11/1984 lol)

Alvin York

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L H.O
I have the exact same engine/tranny setup in a 2018 tradesman. Like you, I bought it as my "last truck forever" setup since I'm getting up there in years and am on a fixed income. I chose that setup because of its reliability, durability, and knowledge that if I just stayed on top of the maintenance, I will never need to visit a dealer again.

As for the rest of the truck, well...it's my 5th Dodge/Ram and I've come to expect some of the little things going wrong. This version seems to be much better in that regard, but it still has had a few issues--a bad wheel speed sensor (common) and a defective parking brake assembly (uncommon). I also had to replace the egr filter and clean the assembly at 50k instead of the recommended 67k (probably a result of having the HO version of the CTD). You have to drain and fill the fluid on the Aisin every 30k, with a pan drop and filter replacement every 60k--but that's relatively easy to do. That's the price for having the strongest transmission on the market I suppose.

A few tips--change the fuel filter/water separator yourself and you'll save about $300 in labor costs. It's easy once you learn how to do it. Also, get used to always using your full exhaust brake. Soot on the turbo actuator and vanes tends to build up over time and you can end up having to replace the whole thing for a pretty expensive price. Once you get used to driving that way, you'll wish all of your vehicles had an engine brake. I saw a post from a hot shotter a while back with 300k on his Cummins who said he has yet to replace his brakes (or his turbo) because of using the engine brake, so it saves you time and money as well.
Great advice on the turbo.

Hogrider57

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins HO
For a diesel novice, use truck stop DEF. It is fresher which means you will use less and seldom need to regen. At 18 K you are half way to break in and use it to pull. That's what it was built for that's what it likes.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
For a diesel novice, use truck stop DEF. It is fresher which means you will use less and seldom need to regen. At 18 K you are half way to break in and use it to pull. That's what it was built for that's what it likes.

BTW if you use DEF at the pump make sure you test it to see if its contaminated with gas or diesel, I have see a few who said they filled at pump only to have problems short time later and dealers saying their DEF tank had gas and or diesel mixed in thus a very big repair bill...

NH RAM

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman 2500 Snow Chief
Engine
Very nice truck, I wasn't expecting that color to pop like it does.