Best android auto aftermarket radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OnSale

5th Gen Crew
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I just installed the new floating 10.1 from Kenwood and I love it. I previously had a pioneer that was extremely laggy and unresponsive, this Kenwood is 10 times better

View attachment 224962

Wow that’s really nice. Floating Kenwood.... how much did that cost us? And is it open android with the play store or a closed version where you can’t access google play store on?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
I might have not explained it well - I can change sources, vol, etc from steering wheel controls like normal/oem. It's just to change a channel ie radio or sat chanel, the HU needs to be on that source screen. With the 8.4 it didn't matter, as you were always on the same screen essentially no matter if radio or sat or whatever, but the Pioneer displays a different screen for each source. So it's a Pioneer thing, not a PAC thing, if that makes sense.

The PAC's selling point I guess is the additional screen that allows vehicle settings as well as the addtional stuff like the heads up display, monitoring screen, cameras (supports up to 5 - although I don't know who needs 5 freaking cams though... useful for a trailering rig I suppose), hvac, etc but I don't believe I lost any functions. TBH, on the backend, the PAC, Scoshe, and Metra "kits" are all probably very similar, either using idatalink, metra or pac interace module for controls, just different on how they interface with the driver I suppose :).

Metra's integration kit is similar to the PAC, but the PAC looked more OEM to me with the knobs and buttons matching up to factory look, so I went with it. Here's the metra kit for comparison...

View attachment 224681
Check this out ...

Pac RPK4 Ch4101 beta

M² Mods.

Rob j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello I have the 8.4 with nav does anyone know if a pioneer 8 or 9 inch will fit. Crutchfield is telling me no.

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Check this out ...

Pac RPK4 Ch4101 beta

M² Mods.

Yep that's the kit I have... it's pretty nice. The only thing I miss is the volume knob. You just don't realize how much you used it ( I though I used SWC more often) till it's not there anymore lol...

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Check this out ...

Pac RPK4 Ch4101 beta

M² Mods.
Yep that's the kit I have... it's pretty nice. The only thing I miss is the volume knob. You just don't realize how much you used it ( I though I used SWC more often) till it's not there anymore lol...

I just did the PAC kit last week... or more correctly my audio shop did. I also upgraded to the AVH-W4500NEC and yanked out a problematic Metra DSP.

Radio first - the W4500 is one of Pioneers higher end series, without NAV. It's Wireless AA, DVD/CD, etc so has the deeper body, so you have to cut out some metal. The non-wireless/non DVD/CD models are shallower and no cutting is required. But I wanted wireless, and also XM Tune Start which for some reason is only in the larger chassis versions. But mainly wanted wireless AA, and really didn't care about DVD/CD. Also has some crossover control and position/delay adjustments that the lower priced models don't have. Also have tilting/removable screen, which I also likely won't use.

It's different and taking some getting used to. Screen is a bit smaller, so Back up Cam view is smaller, but it keeps factory guidelines that move with steering instead of generic lines. It also has no volume knob, which I didn't think I would are about since I use steering wheel controls most of the time, but I catch myself reaching for the vol knob quite a bit lol. Minor annoyance is you can only change channels if you are on the source screen. (except for when using AA). So if you are playing Sat radio but have radio on the main screen, hitting the steering wheel control to switch to another sat station won't work. You have to change the radio screen to the Sat screen. Super annoying so far, but I suspect I will get used to it.

Generally, shop sells Pioneer, Alpine, Sony, Kenwood, and Blaupunkt head units - but generally prefers to work with Pioneer and Alpine for hu's (not Amps :).

As for the PAC kit, it's kinda spendy, but it's one of the few ways to replicate all the vehicle settings you loose when replacing the 8.4. It actually took me over a month to finally decide to pull the trigger, b/c I was afraid of loosing some settings. But everything is there. Actually, I should say, everything you have available is there. Ie, if I have added something that was not original from factory (like, folding mirror/tilt in reverse and the associated settings checkboxes), they will show up. But, b/c I don't have heated seats, there is no entry for heated seats. So it appears to read your BCM and pick up whatever is available there.

Install was less than strait forward, but not difficult they told me. I was in and out working with them on a few things and there is more wiring than a typical replacement setup. But the panel looks factory, has matching HVAC controls/buttons/knobs, and add the small screen below for vehicle settings as well as adding screens for cameras, basic monitoring (tire prs, volts, gear) as also gauge screen and a screen for 1/8-1/4 mile, splits, timing etc that I will never use. The one thing I have noticed - it's setup to work with both Auto and Non-auto hvac setups. In my case (non-auto) it seems like I have to run the temp lower than I would expect for good cooling/ac. My assumption, in the oem non-auto hvac, there is just the slider up/down for hot to cold. The Pac setup uses temperature, even if you don't have auto. So my guess is the temp numbers aren't exactly synced up, and I usually run the ac temp at anywhere from 60-64 which would represent the slider being at the bottom of the scale, if that make sense. But that's a total guess on my part. If you have an auto setup, where you already use the temp numbers to adjust, it may not be an issue.

Overall, so far I am happy. No vol knob is taking some getting used to, and the source screen deal is kina annoying. But Android Auto works well, I use Google Maps, Pandora, Amazon Music, and of course texting/etc via AA. It also supports waze but that doesn't seem to work as well, every time I try to run Waze it tells me I need to complete setup on my phone, which is already done. So you have to exit on AA, open app on phone, then re-open in AA. Not sure if a bug but it's a hassle so I just use Google Maps.

Anyway, probably more info than requested, and I'm still working through the upgrade, but overall I'm pretty happy with the change so far.

A few quick pics...

P58yzg6l.jpg

psYC3iTl.jpg

mwZigDql.png

That PAC kit/bezel is the best aftermarket option I've seen yet. But yeah... Just noticed, no volume knob...
Wtf?

M² Mods.

Wes Veness

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 SLT Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just installed the new floating 10.1 from Kenwood and I love it. I previously had a pioneer that was extremely laggy and unresponsive, this Kenwood is 10 times better

View attachment 224962
Yes a link or model # to it would be great, I need a new head unit and that's something I'd be in too... I've looked on Crutchfield but they don't have that..

regal81455

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The only thing I miss is the volume knob. You just don't realize how much you used it ( I though I used SWC more often) till it's not there anymore lol...

Yup, that's why I went the scosche route - knobs are there still and I find myself using the volume knob wayyyy more that the steering wheel.

89grand

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 RCSB
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I posted in the wrong thread.

Last edited:

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
That PAC kit/bezel is the best aftermarket option I've seen yet. But yeah... Just noticed, no volume knob...
Wtf?

M² Mods.

I think the expectation is the replacement radio will have the knob, unfortunately Pioneer has gone to those little plus/minus buttons for volume on the double din units mostly, unlike say Alpine or Sony etc. It still works, just adjusting to it is another thing lol.

Texas Rammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I installed a kit from infotainment.com today in my 2016. The install was easy with the video they provided. I like it because it keeps my truck factory stock.
I love having CarPlay, and the screen is much clearer than my original.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
^^^ did you enable/install the ATC feature?
If not, doess you're HVAC blend door work correctly.. get full hot, full cold and all the adjustments in-between?

M² Mods.

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
I really want a android tesla style radio or the pac kit setup. But I finally after around a year messing with different locs, then finally getting a amp pro, adding sub amp and 2 12s and jbls speakers in place of oem ones, I been so happy with sound, I don't want to change and mess it up.

farmallboy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
I really want a android tesla style radio or the pac kit setup. But I finally after around a year messing with different locs, then finally getting a amp pro, adding sub amp and 2 12s and jbls speakers in place of oem ones, I been so happy with sound, I don't want to change and mess it up.

Audio is such a weird thing. Because on the outside that sounds like that would be super bass heavy and uneven. I had 1 500w 12 when I was running 800w to speakers.

The little amount the stock HU produces seems like the treble would be invisible with that sub setup. But so many people say they like the quality JUST BY REPLACING STOCK SPEAKERS. So I'm on the fence. Your setup is a LOT easier and cheaper and I'm leaning towards something similar. Just wish I could sit in your truck for 10-15 mins with a cd full of flacs

rotwiler

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 QC Outdoorsman
Engine
Audio is such a weird thing. Because on the outside that sounds like that would be super bass heavy and uneven. I had 1 500w 12 when I was running 800w to speakers.

The little amount the stock HU produces seems like the treble would be invisible with that sub setup. But so many people say they like the quality JUST BY REPLACING STOCK SPEAKERS. So I'm on the fence. Your setup is a LOT easier and cheaper and I'm leaning towards something similar. Just wish I could sit in your truck for 10-15 mins with a cd full of flacs
With the sealed box pointing up, bass is nothing like for example my Camaro with 2 12s, the Camaro rattles your teeth out and is less watts, but the Ram being the box setup has nothing to bounce off really. I also have the alpine system, I had many sit in truck and all so far said it sounded great. I always listen to it in the 3/4 volume range and rarely go past that. I also listen to bass heavy Rap songs like keith ape g ma to test and use lossless files most of time. But, even songs like charlie daniels simple man or metallica one also sound good, plus I can do minor adjustments with the bass knob if is overpowering the song. If you lived in WA state near me, for sure would meet up for you to hear it, the alpine amp in truck pushes the dash and doors pretty good, the jbl gx302s in dash, I am not sure could handle much more power.

Last edited:

78Staff

US Navy Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

That was me, I held on to the stock HU as along as I could - as I really like the integration and functionality and larger sceen. I was so concerned about losing it switching to an aftermarket HU setup. I tried the DSP route but kept running into issues - I think they are great when they work as intended, but a total PITA when they act up. The app support is dismal as well.

I eventually made the decision to change HU's, and honestly it was the RAM's horrible Sat antenna setup that drove me over the edge.

Anyway, running the PAC and the Pioneer (along with JL Audio amps and upgraded speakers of course) I'm mostly happy. There are a few annoyances to deal with, which I assume I will adjust to over time - losing the volume knob as I already mentioned, but that is due to my choice of the Pioneer HU. Having to use an external mic (affects all aftermarket HU's as I understand it), the $100 required add on for Sat Radio, etc. But overall, I have a super clean setup, factory look still, with 6ch amp for full range outputs so independent control/xover and normal ohm load for all 6 speakers, and the mono amp for a 12" in back.

In the end, it wound up being more spendy than I planned, and GTMH, if I went back to day one I might just have gone with upgrading to a set of quality speakers and just stopped there...

:33: