Best Battery brands?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had many different batteries in various vehicles.

I concur. Only 3 or so manufacturers for all batts. So I go for price and warranty. After 3-4 years no matter what brand, I feel that’s the end point for longevity.

Can recall numerous times I had an older (3-4 years)battery “tested” and have concluded that if it tested good , that was not the entire story.
Good for that particular test, maybe fail shortly thereafter or not.

I have a great set of jumper cables. They never fail.:)

Jim113

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Longhorn
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had battery issues just weeks after I bought a new 2013 RAM Longhorn ... replaced under warranty and had issues with that one too ... Went to a specialty shop and purchased a new NORTHSTAR AGM battery and never had a problem after that ... I even had the dealership put it in my new 2017 RAM and never a problem ... I just forgot to put it in my new 2020 ... LOL

bigrob713

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 6.4
My favorite is a Northstar but I've had good luck with Deka, even in powersports applications.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Back in the old days we replaced batteries dry. Then added acid. A few minutes charge & you were off to the races. Todays batteries sit on the shelf filled with acid months ago or more.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Guess I've been lucky so far because my Ram 2500 6.7 still has the original batteries it was born with in 2017.

greenvan

Reaction score
Ram Year
1999 Dodge ram van 1500
Engine
5.2 v-8
Scotty Kilmer of You-tube fame had a video on Interstate batteries and he did not recommend them. He said he has had nothing but problems with them over the years.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Scotty Kilmer of You-tube fame had a video on Interstate batteries and he did not recommend them. He said he has had nothing but problems with them over the years.
and I've used Interstate batteries over the years in my boat, truck, tractor, and other equipment and have had 0 issues. I don't have a YouTube channel, does that make my experiences with Interstate less valuable?

Sasquatchtdg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I used to be an Optima fan boy. Never had an issue with them. Had a red top in my 04, 1000 watt amp, played music for hours and still cranked.

Had a used NAPA trolling motor battery in a 95 Dakota, took it out to go fishing, ran the trolling motor all day, back in truck and it cranked right away.

Current truck I went with one of the store brand top of the line agm. No electronic upgrades but I usually get to work early and listen to the radio for half an hour and haven't had an issue yet.

Honestly, if your electrical system is in good order, the battery should function without issues. When you start pushing amps, lights, radio, winch, etc. then its all about buying a battery suited to those needs. And again reiterating the need for a well thought out electrical system, proper wire size, proper grounds, clean connections, etc.

AZ03Softail

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
What's the BEST battery out there? IDK. The one that fits your needs and budget the best, I guess. Overall though, for normal use, probably still an Optima Yellowtop in terms of availability and longevity.

But dollar for dollar, any Johnon Controls Inc flooded Lead Acid (FLA) Battery (that includes most batteries out there). One of their TOTL units which will have v1rgin lead & acid and thicker plates & more supports will probably get you in the neighborhood of 8-9 years. I've gotten 10 and almost 11 years out of a LA battery before incl my original Ram battery. Longevity is a factor of the environment where you live and how many times you let it go flat. Warmer/hotter places, batteries last less long. You're kind of in the middle there where maybe 8 yrs is on the high end, depending on what part of MO you live and how you store your truck.

Yer typical JCI LA battery costs about 80% less than an optima (also made by JCI) ..which will get you about the same life (maybe a yr ...possibly 2 more ..if you're lucky). I've also had one Optima Yellow tops fail in like 4 years too. As far as a LA battery, if you go down the scale in terms of price/quality (you can tell bc they're lighter weight), then you have recycled pb and acid, thinner and lighter plates with fewer supports ...and therefore you get less longevity from a battery like that.

I've owned many optima's and many JCI lead acid batteries in 30+ yrs. Dollar for dollar, the LA battery at 80% less wins for a typical DD where you really don't need anything special. Now if you are using your truck for special duty purposes beyond a DD, or you are hard on your batteries, driving out in the middle of rural WY ...or offroading a lot, then the Optima probably makes more sense over a FLA battery. Optima is still a LA battery, but doesn't have "liquid" battery acid sloshing around.

It's personal preference.

Good luck
2012 RAM 3500 with original batteries (10 yrs!). Started throwing codes and screen messages: Serv 4 WD and Serv Engine...??
One of error codes is Low Voltage.
Will replace my batteries this week with same batteries to see if codes go away.

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
OK, had 2 optima yellow tops, truck was getting hard to start, went to AutoZone to get batteries checked out. the reader was for 12 volt not 24 so they tried to remove 1 of the poles and when they did (the entire pole came completely out of the battery), WHAT, so he told me that AutoZone would replace the yellow top at no charge. OK, so he tested the other an he said it was bad. Those are $300ea at there store. so to make a long story short, they gave me a Duralast Gold for free and sold me the other one. those batteries have 820 starting amps. went on Cummings form an they spoke highly about the Duralast Gold. thats my story.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
and I've used Interstate batteries over the years in my boat, truck, tractor, and other equipment and have had 0 issues. I don't have a YouTube channel, does that make my experiences with Interstate less valuable?
No it makes more valuable. Scotty Kilmer is an ... (well you know, if you don't have something nice to say, best not say anything at all)

Gero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Scott also said chrysler/fca/stellantis are junk.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I think the most important factor in long battery life is keeping it charged regularly. My 350z sits all winter, and has either a bad ground or a weak alternator so I definitely notice the battery drains even if only sitting a few days. I regularly keep it on the trickle charger if I'm not driving it everyday. The advance auto parts battery in it is probably 8 years old at this point and still working well. I try to throw the charger on the truck every couple months to make sure the battery is topped off. Still starts like brand new on the factory battery.

AkNoad2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I've never had to replace a battery because it went bad, all mine were 7-9 years old and I changed them out due to age. Interstate makes a great battery but most batteries today will last barring they aren't exposed to lots of heat. I worked in a battery shop for about 6 years and dealt with just about every major brand and none really stuck out as being so much better than the others. Stick with AGM batteries and you'll be fine.

Gary2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like Odyssey subsidiary of Enersys is also American made even though I didn't see them mentioned about Northstar is also a subsidiary of EnerSys

Last edited:

Georgiasport

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My truck had a bit of a slow crank so, I just put a X2 Power from Batteries Plus in my rig. The OEM battery was 4 1/2 years old and had it tested just as precaution. Said replace. The X2 has a 5 year full replacement warranty.